Monoprice cable recall

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran the MAPP torch test on some gray E467139 cable. The result was similar to jessis.s' first vertical test, in that the jacket burned with the torch and self-extinguished about a second after the torch was removed. Did the same thing with some black E467139 with the same result. A random chunk of cat5e cable self-extinguished in 1/2 second, and a piece of non-recall monoprice cat6 wouldn't burn at all. So the recall cable did burn a bit more than the others, but nothing close to what I'd consider being able to contribute to propagation of a fire. I also torched a piece of romex. The jacket burned for about 2 seconds after torch removal, and once the outer jacket was burned away the individual conductor insulation burned for about 7 seconds.

Reaction score
But seriously, Monoprice had 2x 250ft spools for $35 with free shipping not too long ago (500ft for $35). Insane pricing, but at the same time, wait...I'll say it again, very suspicious. Feels like someone at Monoprice had intel in this way before the recall was issued.
There is no way that the vendor would shove this out the door knowing that in a few months they would have to trade it all back, pay shipping, and pay for installation. The only way that would make sense is if someone at Monoprice was trying to bankrupt the company.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So, its purely coincidental then :lol:

There is no way that the vendor would shove this out the door knowing that in a few months they would have to trade it all back, pay shipping, and pay for installation. The only way that would make sense is if someone at Monoprice was trying to bankrupt the company.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to try molten lava next, results to be posted when I visit a volcano either in Iceland or Hawaii after this pandemic is all over jk

I ran the MAPP torch test on some gray E467139 cable. The result was similar to jessis.s' first vertical test, in that the jacket burned with the torch and self-extinguished about a second after the torch was removed. Did the same thing with some black E467139 with the same result. A random chunk of cat5e cable self-extinguished in 1/2 second, and a piece of non-recall monoprice cat6 wouldn't burn at all. So the recall cable did burn a bit more than the others, but nothing close to what I'd consider being able to contribute to propagation of a fire. I also torched a piece of romex. The jacket burned for about 2 seconds after torch removal, and once the outer jacket was burned away the individual conductor insulation burned for about 7 seconds.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're absolutely right :thumb:

As this is a trip for science, make sure you submit all expenses to Monoprice for reimbursement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What brand is your preference now that Monoprice may be off the table?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked at the UL and CSPC sites and didn't find any other cable brands being recalled recently. That surprises me. Could monoprice have a factory or production line dedicated just to them?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK... here is the burn of ORANGE 23awg -- e339722

Well, it will not run the Video here wonder why ?? Just the Audio and Black screen...MP4 file...........

Well, it did not burn very much..like the Video before..it did Smoke for a bit after maybe 5-6 seconds.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is entirely up to you. But if it was me, if I got the email I would fill out the claim form and see what happens. While I may not elect to have installed runs in my home replaced, I would still get the unused stuff replaced.
I'd have to agree here. Who knows, maybe they will just send you a replacement box and tell you to throw yours away.

Reaction score
maybe they will just send you a replacement box and tell you to throw yours away.
Wow, had not thought about that. If that is what they do, then be VERY careful of buying Monoprice Cat6 cable from eBay and other places in the future or you might just end up with someone else's box that should have been destroyed.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow, had not thought about that. If that is what they do, then be VERY careful of buying Monoprice Cat6 cable from eBay and other places in the future or you might just end up with someone else's box that should have been destroyed.
They may have to send it back to their supplier to get credit, but maybe they don't want to pay return shipping and they know its not valuable to them...

Worth a shot.