Monoprice TVI IR PTZ looks suspiciously like a Hikvision...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I almost NEVER homerun IP direct to the NVR. That defeats the entire purpose of IP in that they give you network flexibility. My IP cams get run to a PoE switch which is then run to the NVR so you can access each individual camera to make changes, adjustments, etc. as necessary.

Now please edify me on how I can remotely hack into a TVI camera. The CAMERA, not the DVR.
You have proved the point. My point was that IF you homerun as REQUIRED by tvi, then its the SAME plug and play.
You cannot hack a tvi camera but you CAN hack a TVI dvr. You also cannot hack an IP camera that his homerun to the NVR unless you first hack the NVR since the NVR places them on their own subnet. Thus, they share the same risk.
While the ability to network the cameras so you dont need a home run, is one advantage of ip there are many others, including SD card storage and the ability to stream to multiple recording locations...

Reaction score
To add to the complexity of this conversation... I am in the middle of a remodel, so I would home run each camera and things are super easy to get to right now. AND I have 1000 ft reel of RG6 that I have been running cable tv throughout the whole house. Two RG6 drops per "possible" TV location and mostly 2 drops per room. Trying to think ahead!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
gee, here I thought I was on IP Cam Talk.. yeah were gonna shit on your cluster fuck of baulns, power cables/supplies, ground loops, lack of audio, lack of varifocal optics, crappy MD, no smart features, no local storage capabilities..

How is PoE w/no baulns or crap less plug-n-play than that shit.. Using network cables going to baulns is just ignorant, cheap and introducing more points of failure.. I might recommend you stop licking hiks because I think the lead in the paint is starting to screw with your head.

camipman

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgot to mention two things. First is, being that this was my first "real" PTZ install I wasn't familiar with just how much power these things need. I had tried to get away with one CAT5 about 150-200' long and twisting three pairs together for the power but the camera would only burp momentarily for its POST and then die, despite the fact my multimeter showed a perfectly adequate 26.4VAC at the end of the run. I pulled it off the CAT5 and ran 14/2 loomex instead and this was plenty. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 18 gauge, larger if you can afford it.

Second is that Hikvision's website for this camera mentions it has CVBS out as well as TVI, but this is not the case for this unit (TVI out only). Worth noting if you're expecting to use it for setup.
I also just picked up one of these cameras and what I did and what I do mostly with these hikvision PTZ cams is to start them up locally with the power supply connected and turn down the IR power setting or disable it in the camera setup. This will allow you to run pretty much any size gauge out to the camera. I have 100 feet of PTZ cable that uses 22 gauge and I run into that issue from time to time. It appears that the power on test of the PTZ out of the box has the IR's at full power causing a surge current and if the power supply isn't powerful enough then it will drop and reboot the camera loop.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This called “Necro-threading”, btw.
It is a bit glaring how different the tech is a mere three years on. Still using TVI? Still running RG6 CATV cabling?
This weekend I’m remodeling and while at it, actively Discarding/removing Coax that was previously installed for CATV/Dish/Direct and now ALL TV at my place is either Wi-Fi or cat6.
I don’t foresee a future need for hard-wiring TVs or coax for cams.

camipman

n3wb
Reaction score
This called “Necro-threading”, btw.
It is a bit glaring how different the tech is a mere three years on. Still using TVI? Still running RG6 CATV cabling?
This weekend I’m remodeling and while at it, actively Discarding/removing Coax that was previously installed for CATV/Dish/Direct and now ALL TV at my place is either Wi-Fi or cat6.
I don’t foresee a future need for hard-wiring TVs or coax for cams.
Phasing out true...analog DVR's still being manufactured and in some cases can be a way in on some price points with digital technology limitation costs.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, technically.... we can still buy new floppy discs.
What I’m hoping will come along is some new whiz-bang replacement of traditional WiFi. Something Uber-fast AND inherently more secure. Something as radical as the change from analog crystal transceivers to digital-spread-spectrum radios in RC hobbies and also cordless phones etc. this will help with TVs but cams will still need power, so therefore, wire.

Last edited: