Montavue - 8MP 4K Active Deterrence Turret Camera - MTT8106-AISMDAD

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Montavue MTT8106-AISMDAD? The sensor size is 1/2.8" so it should have pretty good low light capability even if it is 8MP, right? At $219 it seems like a good deal. Any thoughts?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stay as far away from that camera as you can.

That is a rebranded Dahua 3849 and it has been shown to be problematic.

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues
I put this guy up and for some reason, and I can put my finger on it, this picture just looks strange. The grass kind of looks like digital or something. The camera is on the default settings but I feel like I have tweaked most of them. Any suggestions? IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV is the camera.

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day
I have a IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV (8MP, Full-color night, 1/2.8” CMOS (3840 × 2160) @20 fps). I also have several IPC-HDW5831R-ZE, IPC-HDW2831T-ZS-S2 , and IPC-HDW4431C-A. The IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV disconnects and reboots during the day, I have no issues during the night. It's my only cam that has this...

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P
Hello everybody! I replaced my favourite camera HDW5442TMP-ASE with new HFW3849T1P and I came accorss that HDW5442TMP-ASE has much better picture than newer one. I replaced it because HFW3849T1P 8MP instead of HDW5442TMP-ASE 5Mp and HFW3849T1P is TIOC (three in one camera). I didn't expect so...

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI
Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI now for sale in UK. I wish they had the Image Sensor: 1/1.8" and a F1:0 lens as I would be all over this. SPECIFICATION Model Number: IPC-HFW3849T1P-AS-PV-280 CAMERA Image Sensor: 1/2.8" Progressive CMOS Effective Pixels : 3840 x 2160...

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Hi All, I have recently installed Dahua IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV, 2.8mm (8MP, full color, active deterrence) cameras. The overall video quality is good but I cannot read number plate for cars passing down the road (approx 11 meters away) or identify people properly. Is it the expected behavior? What...

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV and they work great, but I was hoping to find something with better resolution.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Active deterrence cameras are not designed for high quality images. They keep the cheaper, lower cost smaller sensors in them to help keep the cost down.

Their primary purpose is the active deterrence concept of lights and audio.

Other than the 2MP version, none are on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform horribly at night.

1681351103876.png

So if you want better resolution, you need to move up to a camera that is not active deterrence.

Or if you are ok with having the audio part of active deterrence, then go with either the 4K/X or 180 camera, but these need light at night and cannot see infrared. So you would need to have enough light or be willing to run the cameras with the built in white light on:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many thanks @wittaj How about this one? I know it doesn't have IR, but this would be in front of my house where is considerable ambient light from street lamps. In fact, my camera there now has IR, but it never engages. I know I need to prioritize certain capabilities. I want high resolution with audio alarm. This looks like it fits that.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a great camera but it does not have a speaker, only a built-in mic. It does have a wire to add a speaker though.

Only the Bullet version 4K/X has a speaker, thus why I suggested that one LOL.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many thanks. I got confused because it says "Alarm: 1 in, 1 out". Would the speaker need external power or would the camera's alarm out provide enough? Can you recommend a speaker to use with it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it would need external power.

Cold-Lemonade

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many thanks @wittaj After considering the trade-offs, I think I'll just get another 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV or maybe the Dahua 4MP N43BU82 because they would replace my 4MP N42BJ62 cameras. I really need the siren. The higher resolution is just a nice to have. Maybe some time in the future, there will be a TioC with 4K.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Montavue MTT8106-AISMDAD? The sensor size is 1/2.8" so it should have pretty good low light capability even if it is 8MP, right? At $219 it seems like a good deal. Any thoughts?

FYI - posting this for reference here ..

1699472633793.png
1699472615735.png

Attachments