More Ram vs. SSD?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see these hardware recommendations for BI...

• Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding
  • 8GB or more RAM
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit
  • nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display (I thought integrated graphics was preferred?)
  • 7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

...But this does not explain the desirable balance between RAM and SSD if a large slow conventional drive is still necessary. In other words if I expect to need a large 5400rpm drive for storage then what would help BI more -- additional RAM or an added SSD?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see these hardware recommendations for BI...

• Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding
  • 8GB or more RAM
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit
  • nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display (I thought integrated graphics was preferred?)
  • 7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

...But this does not explain the desirable balance between RAM and SSD if a large slow conventional drive is still necessary. In other words if I expect to need a large 5400rpm drive for storage then what would help BI more -- additional RAM or an added SSD?
This specs are super general. i7 is a meaningless term.
buy an 250gb ssd and use it for windows, BI and the database file which is small. They drives are not 50 bux, its foolish not to use one.
Most applications dont need more than 8gb memory.
Store video on a hard drive.
use intel HA. there are a bunch of threads here explaining how inefficient nvidia is at hardware acceleration. That spec was placed there much before nvidia HA was added, and is meant specifically to help with screen display of many super high res cameras, and even then is only beneficial if your pc allows intel HD to work at the same time.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it might be better if something like PassMark CPU scores were suggested. So Ram beyond 8GB is wasted?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I might have to get me a SSD to replace the original HDD in my system. Right now, I have the BI stuff all on a second WD Purple drive. But if a SSD would make the system more reliable, I could try imaging what I've got on the primary HDD to a SSD, move BI's database on the new SSD, and see how that goes.

I'm guessing that the database for BI gets a lot of thrashing? From using solid state NVRam over the years, we got conditioned to never use it for anything that needs to be rewritten very often because of the "wear out" of NAND type flash. I'm sure that's improved over time, but I still use new industrial controllers that have a warning to not re-flash the program too often because there's a 10,000 cycle write limit in their flash memory. So best to test new revisions in RAM and only flash when you're happy with things and ready to make the program more permanent.

I also remember reading that with older operating systems, you didn't want to let your Windows machine place its virtual RAM (pagefile/swapfile) onto a SSD. On a regular HDD, it was fine, but not on a SSD.

From what I've read, Win 8.1 and 10 handle this all correctly by default, but for Win 7 and below, you need to take some special steps to properly use a SSD. My system in question is running Win10, but I'm still queasy about the longevity of SSD for files that get rewritten too often. Is that issue completely a thing of the past now?

My system runs fine the way it is, and the CPU load is low, etc. But if it would be more reliable to replace the mechanical primary drive with a SSD, I'd probably do that. I just don't want to inadvertently make the system less reliable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I might have to get me a SSD to replace the original HDD in my system. Right now, I have the BI stuff all on a second WD Purple drive. But if a SSD would make the system more reliable, I could try imaging what I've got on the primary HDD to a SSD, move BI's database on the new SSD, and see how that goes.

I'm guessing that the database for BI gets a lot of thrashing? From using solid state NVRam over the years, we got conditioned to never use it for anything that needs to be rewritten very often because of the "wear out" of NAND type flash. I'm sure that's improved over time, but I still use new industrial controllers that have a warning to not re-flash the program too often because there's a 10,000 cycle write limit in their flash memory. So best to test new revisions in RAM and only flash when you're happy with things and ready to make the program more permanent.

I also remember reading that with older operating systems, you didn't want to let your Windows machine place its virtual RAM (pagefile/swapfile) onto a SSD. On a regular HDD, it was fine, but not on a SSD.

From what I've read, Win 8.1 and 10 handle this all correctly by default, but for Win 7 and below, you need to take some special steps to properly use a SSD. My system in question is running Win10, but I'm still queasy about the longevity of SSD for files that get rewritten too often. Is that issue completely a thing of the past now?

My system runs fine the way it is, and the CPU load is low, etc. But if it would be more reliable to replace the mechanical primary drive with a SSD, I'd probably do that. I just don't want to inadvertently make the system less reliable.
Certainly won't make it less reliable...it's going to make your system fast and snappy... Best 50 bucks you can spend...

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks! It's good to have some advice on all of that. I might end up doing the same thing to another computer I've got that I do photo and video editing with. I'd probably appreciate the speed improvements on that system more than I will on the BI computer because I'll see it directly in how fast it performs some tasks. I will say that being able to use QuickSync in Photoshop makes a noticeable difference. Setting it up with a SSD might be another big leap. For that computer, though, I'll probably want a much larger drive. The BI system will never have much on it except BI itself, so it won't likely ever need a large primary drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! It's good to have some advice on all of that. I might end up doing the same thing to another computer I've got that I do photo and video editing with. I'd probably appreciate the speed improvements on that system more than I will on the BI computer because I'll see it directly in how fast it performs some tasks. I will say that being able to use QuickSync in Photoshop makes a noticeable difference. Setting it up with a SSD might be another big leap. For that computer, though, I'll probably want a much larger drive. The BI system will never have much on it except BI itself, so it won't likely ever need a large primary drive.
RUN, dont walk and buy one for your daily pc you will be amazed at the performance difference. Every single pc I work on or setup gets an ssd. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SF8KMG/ref=twister_B07GSGXKG3?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the idea of the Crucial units based on Micron's memory. Idaho! Good memory and good ammo (CCI). ;)

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
One 1TB and one 250GB in my cart. Free prime shipping. Hard to beat!