more the 2 foscam IP cameras on wifi create a problem

cam_new

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to connect 4 Foscam IP cameras wia wifi. I use BI software. When I connect more then 2 cameras I can only continuously see 2 (or sometimes 1) camera. I suspect that it's because cameras bitrate is high and it overload my wifi network. Does anybody see similar problem and has a solution? ( I can't connect the cameras via Ethernet cable and Ethernet over power is also not a good solution due to 3-phase electrical power in my house)
[h=1]thanks![/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Wifi is not great to begin with. Foscam makes it worse. Just toss the foscams in the trash..it will save you lots of aggravation....Take a look at the hikvision 2432 cube camera and get a wide angle 2.8mm lens...

piker28

n3wb
Reaction score
Depending on your wireless setup I can see this happening. I have one foscam and notice it does put a load on my wireless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The standard Def foscams use mpeg compression which is a bandwidth hog.... Some older models only support wireless G...

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're unable to even temporarily connect your cams via Ethernet to diagnose if the wireless bandwidth/signal is the problem, I would advise setting up a test... making sure only the cams are connected to your network (as well as your PC - via cable) so there is no chance of other devices using the bandwidth. I would also conduct this test during the day, and then again at night as the bitrate/frame rate drops to about half of what it is during the day (when the cams switch to night vision).

The next thing you could check is to see if you have QOS enabled on the router. This might be causing problems if not properly configured.

...Lastly as the bitrate is selectable via the foscam web interface, you could try setting it to the lowest ie. 10fps / 200kbs. This should be a fairly good indication of weather bandwidth is an issue. Next, I would start looking at signal interference/loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

cam_new

n3wb
Reaction score
All, Thanks you very much for your answers!

Another thing I am considering is adding a dedicated wifi router for cameras only . Does anybody tried this and has recommendation whether it's a good idea?

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Setup additional Access Points. I use four APs on my WiFi network. Each AP can handle 2.4 and 5Ghz simultaneously. I use Asus RT-N56U and Asus RT-N65U routers in Access Point mode. And I use the custom Padavan firmware with them.

SoCAlva

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running two 8910's over wifi, one recording and the other doing audio/motion detection - no problems at all.