Mostly 4k Live View... Blue Iris or NVR? Multiple PC options.

Sfair

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m relatively new to IP cameras and I should have looked for advice sooner than I have.

Could you please help me decide what computer in my house should be used for Blue Iris or if I should just roll a Hikvision NVR?

I have multiple options for a PC and am looking to run multiple cameras. I have purchased 9x Hikvision 4k Cameras. I understand now that I probably don’t need 8MP cameras but it’s what I have now. I would like to make the most of the available resolution. I will probably add IR floods for the outdoor cameras to make up for their mediocre night vision vs Starlights or similar.

I have the following Hikvision cameras.

1x 2.8mm Dome DS-2CD2185FWD-I

1x 4mm Dome DS-2CD2185FWD-I

1x 4mm Dome with Audio DS-2CD2185FWD-IS (Front door)

6x 4mm Turret DS-2CD2385FWD-I

I only have a couple cameras setup inside and I am not currently recording. I’m just using those as a nanny cam. I have multiple Cat6 runs to do to install the remaining exterior cameras.

I was originally planning on using IVMS-4200 on my home server as a software NVR. After reading a few forums I see that IVMS-4200 has some major limitations. I don’t think it will work as I expected as a software NVR. If I’m off base please let me know.

I have since moved on to wanting to use Blue Iris. I purchased Blue Iris and did some quick testing with a 6300T processor. I used H.264 with hardware acceleration and H.265 without HA. I think my hardware is woefully underpowered for the cameras I have. I would prefer to keep 8MP resolution and 10 to 15 FPS for live view. I currently have 9 cameras and plan to expand to 12 to 16. On the other hand I’m not sure I need all the features of Blue Iris since I’m going to mostly just live view the cameras.

Our primary goal is to use the live streams as command center setup in the kitchen to keep track of the house, dogs, and kids. I would like to record the exterior cameras in particular the cameras covering the parking areas and house entrances.

For us high quality live view is our priority. Recording is required but I’m ok with recording at lower frame rates or quality to conserve space / extend record time. I doubt I will have to review recorded footage much since we live in a very rural area.

Hardware Options:

I have a mini form factor computer in my kitchen connected to 2x 27” WQHD screens. This is the location I would like to view the cameras. The PC has a Intel i3-6300T (AVG CPU Mark 5249) processor. I have also looked into either upgrading the CPU to a i7-6700T (AVG CPU Mark 9034) if needed. The location is ideal since that's the location I intended to view the cameras as a home command center. We also use the computer for streaming youtube, occasional Plex viewing, and looking up recipes. Clips DB and recent clips could be stored local before being off loaded to network shared storage.

I also have a desktop with a 5820K (AVG CPU Mark 12989 can OC) processor with Nvidia GTX 750 FTW discrete graphics. It’s the highest power PC I have but does not have Intel discrete graphics. It’s currently being used as my desktop but it’s largely underutilized. I have other systems I could unmothball and put into service as my desktop. It has 10 Sata ports if I wanted to store large amounts of data. Dual Gig NIC and other workstation goodies.

I also have a Supermicro 1u system with an Xeon D1521 (AVG CPU Mark 6980) processor and 16 GB of EEC ram. It’s currently my ESXI 6.7 VM host. It’s got dual 10Gb NIC but the 1U case only has room for a few drives. I prefer to leave it for my VMs.

My home windows server has a Intel G4560 (AVG CPU Mark 4871) with 32 GB of ECC RAM. I use it as my home server and Plex Media server. This is the system I was going to use with IVMS-4200 as a software NVR. The processor is underpowered for Blue Iris and my motherboard lacks support for integrated graphics. I debated upgrading it to a E3-1240 v6 (AVG CPU Mark 10148) as an option but even then it’s got better things to do. Plex is direct play for all my typical viewing so transcoding is seldom done.

I suspect using a Hikvision NVR such as a DS-7616NI-Q2/16P is probably my best option. I could use the kitchen command center computer and IVMS-4200 to get my multi monitor live views and let the NVR do it’s recording in H.265+. I have a 9U wall rack with my other servers and networking gear. I have room for 3U or 4U if I remove my second pretty much unneeded switch. I could also run a HDMI cable from the NVR to our 4k TV in the living room as a way to view the NVR HDMI output as a second command center if needed. How CPU efficient is a Hikvision NVR played back live view via IVMS-4200? It appears even just using IVMS-4200 is far less CPU intensive than Blue Iris even when using H.264 with HA. This would also allow me to use the proprietary smart codec H.265+.

I have also considered building a new purpose built system for Blue Iris but I fear since I really geek out on hardware I would spend too much on wanting to maintain upto 12 to 16 8MP at 10 or 15 FPS. I see Supermicro makes a motherboard for the new i9-9900K processor and the board supports 2x DP and 1x HDMI with integrated graphics. It would be an expensive option and would replace my kitchen computer for live view via Blue Iris console. This would provide more flexibility and allow me to use my current Poe network gear.

What advice do you have given my current hardware? I have read through the Wiki and found the Cliff notes to be particularly useful.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Those “T” model chips are just crippled lower power versions of their big brothers, not great value,but less heat and less cooling required (hence why they are common in smaller form factors).

If you are happy with the mini PC in the kitchen, I would say it’s a bad candidate to run Blue Iris, maybe keep it there and use UI3 or something on that device (use it to VIEW Blue Iris, not as Blue Iris host).

As you have already identified the 5820k does not have iGPU, so not a great candidate because you will end up needing the added CPU just to compensate for the missing Quicksync, and burning electricity with a discrete graphics card on top of it.

A common recommendation here is a Dell or HP refurb, and this will probably be your best bet. Since you are primarily wanting for live view, you probably don’t need significant storage for recordings, and you can get a refurb 6th-gen or newer desktop that will have Quicksync for not a whole lot (may have to shop around for a bit to find a good price).

I would recommend picking up the refurb to be your dedicated Blue iris machine, get the right equipment to do the job properly. Mount it in an out of the way place (network closet, storage space, wherever), wire your cameras up to it directly (dual NIC) or use VLAN separation (if you have a switch capable).

This allows you to use your compact system in your kitchen, but running a browser to Blue iris built in web server (I would try UI3 first as its the snazziest interface) and you should be golden. I am recommending ADDING a computer, just because the one’s you have operational aren’t great candidates or will result in trade offs.