Motion-activated Security Lights...

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have zero lights on the corners of my home and would like to get some motion-activated lights installed. Hopefully this will not conflict with intended camera mounts in the same area. So, can you recommend some outdoor lights? Typically they are twin lights that take a standard 120v a/c connection. But with this age of LED there might be a compelling low voltage option. And since we are talking on this forum about security cams there might be a compelling unit that does lights, camera and motion sensing all in one. Please make a recommendation if you can.

Thanks,

Robert

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Clipsal Infrascan sensors attached to the light of your choice. They aren't cheap but they are excellent sensors. They also have a three position switch, on, off, and auto, so you can easily see that they are in the correct position.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about how you might fully utilize a separate PIR? I'd like to fully understand all of the possibilities. I'm the US there are more than a few choices for s traditional two socket fixture with an integrated motion sensor. I suspect there are more possibilities.

Thanks,

Robert

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ideally lights should be on all night...you get the best capture that way...simply install a dusk to dawn sensor/switch...

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about how you might fully utilize a separate PIR? I'd like to fully understand all of the possibilities. I'm the US there are more than a few choices for s traditional two socket fixture with an integrated motion sensor. I suspect there are more possibilities.

Thanks,

Robert
Speak to a good sparky for this one. Electrical work is not for amateur players. The infrascan is a sensor in it's own right. It has excellent range and spread that is adjustable. You can mount it anywhere unlike a combined fitting. You can trigger multiple lights with it, unlike a combined fitting. You can use it with eave mounted LED downlights, or pathway bollard lights, if you don't like the appearance of flood lights. It is pretty much the gold standard in motion sensor lights here in Australia.

Vince71

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently installed a motion sensor and light over my driveway. I wanted a low voltage solution that could also trigger the digital input on a camera. I used a Bosch OD850 motion sensor and a Raytec var2-w2 white LED light. They both run off the same 12V supply. If you're searching for a light that can be triggered, they usually call the feature telemetry. Lights like this are expensive though (>$200). I will check out Clipsal if I need another one. The Bosch is PIR and microwave.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem with adding motion sensor lights where you have cameras is if they turn on when a bad guy is in the picture, the lights will mess up the exposure until the camera adjusts, and he may be out of frame by then.