Motion detection, almost there?

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently i have the following cam connected, a FI9900P (which will be replaced eventually). I followed this page How to Set Up Motion Detection and Video/Image Recording in Blue Iris - ONVIF Software FAQs - Reolink

But some things changes with BI4 in terms of location; so now i have this guide:

Step 1. Click the
icon at the top/left of the software window and click the Trigger tab, check the boxes in the images below and click OK.

Step 2. Click the Configure tab, check the boxes in the images below and click OK.

p.s. i still don't have the motion detection setup on my Foscam, but that is something i have to do still;

Now i have the following questions:
1. if i have motion detection capabilities on my camera, do i need the "Motion sensor" checkbox to be active, or is it better to have all detection done by the camera? What are the drawbacks/benefits if i do it on BI?

2. How do you know if "camera digital input or motion" is supported by e.g. the FI9900P? Is that just a matter of testing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently i have the following cam connected, a FI9900P (which will be replaced eventually). I followed this page How to Set Up Motion Detection and Video/Image Recording in Blue Iris - ONVIF Software FAQs - Reolink

But some things changes with BI4 in terms of location; so now i have this guide:

Step 1. Click the
icon at the top/left of the software window and click the Trigger tab, check the boxes in the images below and click OK.

Step 2. Click the Configure tab, check the boxes in the images below and click OK.

p.s. i still don't have the motion detection setup on my Foscam, but that is something i have to do still;

Now i have the following questions:
1. if i have motion detection capabilities on my camera, do i need the "Motion sensor" checkbox to be active, or is it better to have all detection done by the camera? What are the drawbacks/benefits if i do it on BI?

2. How do you know if "camera digital input or motion" is supported by e.g. the FI9900P? Is that just a matter of testing?
Uncheck camera digital input and dont waste your time with foscams motion detection...
BI motion detection is far superior.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman thank you for your reply; does thesame apply to e.g. Dahua cameras? (assuming i will combine them with motion trackers to move to presets)? All i possibly want is the auto-tracking of the SD59 if that proves to be reliable, after i moved the cam to a preset.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman thank you for your reply; does thesame apply to e.g. Dahua cameras? (assuming i will combine them with motion trackers to move to presets)? All i possibly want is the auto-tracking of the SD59 if that proves to be reliable, after i moved the cam to a preset.
yes.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't seem to setup motion detection correctly;

This is my system setup, meaning i should have Intel QSV support (latest drivers are installed)

This is my Foscam setup:
The camera stream is set to 1080p, fixed bitrate, lowered framerate and CBR (with VBR i would get blocky results in BI).

Somehow i am not able to get clips recorded. I see a new clip appearing in the right corner, but it is 0 seconds and not playable. Here are the other settings i have:

BI is set to use hardware acceleration:
(an update to the software would be to 'DETECT' if the chip supports it.

My camera is setup using these settings (find/inspect):
I am seeing a feed in my main BI scree, assuming to me i set it up correctly. Haven't changed any defaults here. Path/Params and Camera are set by "Find/inspect".

If i go to the properties of the cam, i've enabled motion detection:

Clicking configure shows this:
I've lowered the MAKE time to detect fast(er) moving stuff.

Object detection (defaults):

Zones and hotspot (default) only Zone A is there, all my garden:

Record tab:

Record format:

Any thing i miss?

edit: If i disable hardware acceleration the triggering/recording works.. I really don't understand why; i have the latest drivers.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Recording has no connection to Hardware acceleration...HA will never be enabled by default...it can cause issues with some setups..
side notes, increase your break time to at least 30 seconds.
check create alert list images when triggered.
Ensure the record locations are set correctly...set the camera to continuous and see if you get a recording.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman found the issue; hardware decoding on the camera properties page should be set to 'no', then the clips are recorded.

However, there is one open point;
If i go to the network IP camera configuration, there i can choose "Foscam", enter the default Discovery/ONVIF port (8889) and choose 'inspect'; then it gives me this information:
Opening port 88...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 404
Opening port 8889...
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible detected!
Done
And sets the path to "/", params to "0" and camera to "1".

However, if i change the Discovery/ONVIF port to 888 (FI9900P default) and choose 'inspect'; then it gives me this information:
Opening port 88...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
HTTP 404
Opening port 888...
2017-05-08T07:31:01.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: FOSCAM
Model: FI9900P
FirmwareVersion: 2.74.1.42
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/device_service
Has media services: /onvif/device_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
RelayOutputs: 0
AudioOutputs: 0
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible detected!
Done
So i am assuming i have to keep discovery/ONVIF to 888?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman found the issue; hardware decoding on the camera properties page should be set to 'no', then the clips are recorded.

However, there is one open point;
If i go to the network IP camera configuration, there i can choose "Foscam", enter the default Discovery/ONVIF port (8889) and choose 'inspect'; then it gives me this information:

And sets the path to "/", params to "0" and camera to "1".

However, if i change the Discovery/ONVIF port to 888 (FI9900P default) and choose 'inspect'; then it gives me this information:

So i am assuming i have to keep discovery/ONVIF to 888?
Unfortunately you have not solved the problem...the hardware decoding is the hardware acceleration...you simply turned it off.

kdub

n3wb
Reaction score
I ran into the same thing with Foscam R2. I was working with Ken directly and stumbled upon the fact that turning off hardware decoding on that one camera allowed it to record and ended up leaving the issue alone issue since Im converting over my cameras away from Foscams. Your not crazy though .. I couldn't get the R2 to record anything with acceleration on.