Motion Detection best practice.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may be thinking of high-resolution alerts.
Bit of a mindset change, nothing wrong with false alerts. Use Sentry to cut-down on those, if that is really your intention.
As I said earlier, you can have BI "RECORD" on any movement in say zone a, but only alert if motion is detected in key areas, eg: zone b. (If you make the zone b area a lot smaller, eg: right near your house)
BI will still record on any car driving past ect.. but you just get alerted \ iOS notification on a subset of the motion. (ie: I don't have trees selected in Zone B, or their shadow areas), just right up close.
29th... terrible false alarms. After update only seeing people being picked up. Trees and shadows are not. I think something changed as I did not do anything. 5.0.4.4

What is difference between high res alerts and alerts?

All I have is clip and archiving is alerts at 100gb to save them longer.

jimbo123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
- Make time (0.1, possibly 0.5 if you get a lot of false alarms)
I'm still slowly adjusting mine,... by making the 'make time' smaller won't you get more triggers as BI makes its decision in a smaller period of time ? whereas if its larger, the conditions need to be met for a longer period of time, so potentially less triggers ?

Or am I interpreting this setting incorrectly ?

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, "make time" is the minimum continuous time needed to set trigger motion detected status.

Bluediamond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also have to figure something out with my hardware, everytime I try to play back a video this thing spikes the CPU into the 97% and the system runs like absolute garbage. May invest in a graphics card for the decoding something like this.EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 02G-P4-6232-KR Video Card - Newegg.com

I am not going to lie, this BI thing has been a HUGE learning curve for me.

I am going to try @TL1096r suggestion when I get home before I make the purchase: Getting Intel Quick Sync to work with Blue Iris

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of your BlueIris allocations are a mess. You have everything limited to 20GB. And uncheck the 'limit clip age' on everything. Stop using it. Just because you have it checked, doesn't override the limit size. You are limiting everything to BOTH 20GB AND 7 days, whichever comes first.. which is probably the 20gb. With 3x 8MP cams and 2x 2MP cams, I doubt you'd get more than 30 minutes of recording.

db and alerts should be on C.
As previously stated alerts folder will be empty, as long as you don't have 'Store alert images as hi-res files' checked
Put New on your 10tb E drive, and don't use stored.

db C:\BlueIris\db
Alerts C:\BlueIris\Alerts
New E:\New (or E:\BlueIris\New or whatever you want. I have mine on the root E:\)
Stored C:\BlueIris\Stored

For the sizes:
Alerts: limit size 10gb, and set to delete (do not move to stored)
Stored: limit size 0gb, and set to delete
New: limit size 8850gb, and set to delete (do not move to stored)

A 10tb hard drive has 9313 usable gb. You want to leave 5% free, thus the 8850gb limit.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also have to figure something out with my hardware, everytime I try to play back a video this thing spikes the CPU into the 97% and the system runs like absolute garbage. May invest in a graphics card for the decoding something like this.EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 02G-P4-6232-KR Video Card - Newegg.com

I am not going to lie, this BI thing has been a HUGE learning curve for me.

I am going to try @TL1096r suggestion when I get home before I make the purchase: Getting Intel Quick Sync to work with Blue Iris
DO NOT buy a graphics card. You don't need it. You only have 5 cameras. Your i7-6700 can handle it fine.

Follow the guide in that post, and make sure it's working by checking in task manager.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bingo.

You have nothing else on E, correct? Only for surveillance?

Post a shot of the BI status, clip storage tab, to make sure you are good. eg this one:

Bluediamond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Walrus

That's correct however now I have a much bigger problem I switched the decoding to Intel like the guide said and I lost all x3 of my 4k Cameras and I have no idea how to get them back other then revering changes. All of them say "No Signal"

upload_2019-10-3_15-31-45.png

Update: Figured it out, it does not like H.265 to save its life had to change it to H.264H any major differences between the two and is there any way I can utilize H.265 at all?

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, not currently with Intel hardware acceleration.

Bluediamond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, not currently with Intel hardware acceleration.
@Walrus That sucks, hope they fix that. One more question for you my 4k and 2k cameras any idea what I should be setting the max bit rates at? That's the only piece that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

4k Cameras:
upload_2019-10-3_16-2-28.png

2K Cameras:
upload_2019-10-3_16-3-55.png

I was able to get H.265 to work on the 2K cameras but not the 4k.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No you weren't. What's happened is BI detected the hardware acceleration not working when you set them to H.265, and on the camera setting video tab, it automatically changed the hardware accelerated decode to 'None'

You also have your 2MP cam set to 30FPS, which is unnecessary.
Set the 2MP to 15FPS and 4096 bitrate.
Set the 8MP to 15FPS and 16384 bitrate.
Change the VBR to 4. When set to 6(Best) I find it's barely any different than CBR.

Also, your terminology is incorrect. 2MP isn't 2K. It's 1K, but you don't even call it that.

Last edited:

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, your terminology is incorrect. 2MP isn't 2K. It's 1K, but you don't even call it that.
2K is rougly 2MP
2K Digital Cinema resolution = 2048*1080
4K UHD = 8 MP = 3840*2160

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Walrus That sucks, hope they fix that. One more question for you my 4k and 2k cameras any idea what I should be setting the max bit rates at? That's the only piece that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

4k Cameras:
View attachment 48433

2K Cameras:
View attachment 48434

*15fps is plenty for survielence, once you get used to viewing it, even 10fps works just fine.
*Turn OFF smart codec in the cameras, that is propitiatory and only works with Dahua NVRs'.
*You don't need 10gb reserved for alerts. Alerts are just markers in the recorded file, set it to 0, unless you have "Save alerts as Hi-Res inabled, which you don't need.
*Don't change settings until you understand why you would want to change them.
*Shorter make times will increase the amount false motion detection, 1.0 sec is a good starting point, then go a 10th or 2 higher and test with the Motion. You WON"T get this figured out in one afternoon.

Setting Object detection and contrast more sensitive with increas the false motion dection. You set for your situation, by making a change in settings, then testing. Read the BI help file. And this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2K is rougly 2MP
2K Digital Cinema resolution = 2048*1080
4K UHD = 8 MP = 3840*2160
2MP is 1080p which is 1920x1080.
2K is 1440p, which his 2MP cameras are not.

Pointless addition to what we are trying to help out with here.