Motion detection issues with direct to disk

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi, I have been running blue iris for about 9 months on an Intel i5 7500t. I have 6 Axis cameras setup, 2 x 1.3mp, 1 x 2mp, 2 x 3mp and 1 x 5mp. I was having fairly high cpu usage (~85%) as I was not running direct to disk and the intel hardware acceleration did not work with the axis cameras until recently for some reason and when I enabled it the cpu ran even higher. Even though it was high I left it this way as it was working great and motion detection was awesome vs the in camera motion detection. I finally wanted to add another camera or two so I disabled BI overlays and set them up in camera and then moved direct to disk. CPU dropped down to about 50% so I was happy. The problem I am having now is the motion detection is back to sucking really bad like when I used to run these cameras off of synologys DVR app. It was my understanding that even though I setup direct to disk that BI would continue to do features like motion direction like it did before. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hi, I have been running blue iris for about 9 months on an Intel i5 7500t. I have 6 Axis cameras setup, 2 x 1.3mp, 1 x 2mp, 2 x 3mp and 1 x 5mp. I was having fairly high cpu usage (~85%) as I was not running direct to disk and the intel hardware acceleration did not work with the axis cameras until recently for some reason and when I enabled it the cpu ran even higher. Even though it was high I left it this way as it was working great and motion detection was awesome vs the in camera motion detection. I finally wanted to add another camera or two so I disabled BI overlays and set them up in camera and then moved direct to disk. CPU dropped down to about 50% so I was happy. The problem I am having now is the motion detection is back to sucking really bad like when I used to run these cameras off of synologys DVR app. It was my understanding that even though I setup direct to disk that BI would continue to do features like motion direction like it did before. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks
direct to disk will not affect motion detection, it will cause recording to start on the iframe so in your camera you need to match the iframe interval to the fps, and in blue iris set pretrigger recording to about 2-3 seconds...the actual motion detection is not affect..DO NOT check limit decoding in the video tab...

Chicken

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sweet thank you for the tip! I’ll go back and test it in the morning and report back