Motion detection "on"

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to have motion detection always "on" on a camera regardless of the "traffic light" status?

The reason I ask, is because although most of my cameras motion detection is turned on when it's night or we are away, I'd like to have my gate camera (1/4 mile away) always on.

So, using BI, I'd like to have the gate cam always detecting motion, but be able to turn off motion detection around the house, barn, and outbuildings while I'm home.

I have been using the gate cameras built in detection, but I'd rather use BI.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to have motion detection always "on" on a camera regardless of the "traffic light" status?

The reason I ask, is because although most of my cameras motion detection is turned on when it's night or we are away, I'd like to have my gate camera (1/4 mile away) always on.

So, using BI, I'd like to have the gate cam always detecting motion, but be able to turn off motion detection around the house, barn, and outbuildings while I'm home.

I have been using the gate cameras built in detection, but I'd rather use BI.

Thanks
yes, you can customize what the traffic signal does. Motion detection is always happening anyway, you can disable alerts/recording etc. blue iris options>other
you can also do this by way of schedule.

Reaction score
Thanks Fendermen,
I looked at the your info, but for the life of me, I can't see any settings that would allow the traffic light to control alerts and recordings on all the cameras except one and have that camera always sending alerts, and recordings when triggered.

Could you give me a little more detail on how to accomplish this?

Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fendermen,
I looked at the your info, but for the life of me, I can't see any settings that would allow the traffic light to control alerts and recordings on all the cameras except one and have that camera always sending alerts, and recordings when triggered.

Could you give me a little more detail on how to accomplish this?

Thanks again.
You are correct the traffic light is all or nothing. You will need to use profiles to accomplish this.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case.
Having multiple profiles for multiple cameras to start, then having to duplicate those profiles with record and email turned off would get pretty unmanageable pretty fast.

Guess I just continue to used the gate cam's sub par built in detection.

Thanks

Reaction score
Come to think about it, I do have my old BI3 license.
If it don't take much resources, guess I'll run the gate camera on BI3 and the rest on BI4.

Reaction score
Well, so much for that idea. Looks like you can't run BI4 and BI3 on the same machine because if one is loaded, the other won't load.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case.
Having multiple profiles for multiple cameras to start, then having to duplicate those profiles with record and email turned off would get pretty unmanageable pretty fast.

Guess I just continue to used the gate cam's sub par built in detection.

Thanks
I dont understand. You are likely not setting up profiles efficiently. Why would running bi3 make things more manageable? This is really easy. You only need to set it up once. You likely setup multiple profiles in cameras when a global profile would suffice for all.

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand. Each camera has different motion detection settings at different times of the day.
I could be wrong, but can you do that with a global profile?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand. Each camera has different motion detection settings at different times of the day.
I could be wrong, but can you do that with a global profile?
Are you saying that each camera has a different setting for different times? So one camera at 2pm the other at 4mp? then no. If that is the case its surprising to me that the issue in the OP is what broke the camels back. Just set it to always on for every profile in that camera. Other cams to your liking. done.

Reaction score
Yes, in order to minimize false alerts, my detection parameters change four times a day to account for solar angle.

"Just set it to always on for every profile in that camera."

Yes, that is the jist of the original post.

Though it might be lurking somewhere in the cameras settings, I have not been able to locate a setting that would always keep the gate camera triggering, recording, and emailing when the "traffic light" is red.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, in order to minimize false alerts, my detection parameters change four times a day to account for solar angle.

"Just set it to always on for every profile in that camera."

Yes, that is the jist of the original post.

Though it might be lurking somewhere in the cameras settings, I have not been able to locate a setting that would always keep the gate camera triggering, recording, and emailing when the "traffic light" is red.
Forget about the traffic light. Just set every profile in that camera to alert and record. For the other cams set alerts accordingly. You should not have to setup a complex profile scheme to minimize false alerts. Read the help file and what the video on motion detection and zone crossing.

Reaction score
I spent some time optimizing the detection.

Between using three thermal cameras (major effect) to trigger four visual light cameras and the different settings depending on time of day (minor effect) , I only get about four false detections a month and my detection area is about 1 acre.

I doubt that most outdoor installations have so few false triggers, but I will try using global settings to see if the false alerts increase significantly.

Thanks Fenderman.