Motion Detection Push Notifications

dollerprod

n3wb
Reaction score
[my problem for Blue Iris is I do not have a 24/7 computer running locally]

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to receive instant motion detection alerts. Push notifications on my Android phone specifically.

So, I bought a Foscam C1 on sale on Amazon, which has not been delivered yet, and I am reading some pretty bad reviews, specifically regarding it's motion detection alerts. Also it seems that the Foscam software will only send an email notification. While this may be nearly real time, I think a text message or push notification would be much better way of alerting me.

The Foscam was only $45.

Would a Hikvision camera be better suited than the Foscam for motion alerts by push notification? I seem to be reading better reviews on them

Is there an app that can monitor any camera and send a push notification, while running in the background? Obviously I do not plan on having the app open non-stop and want the notification to come in whether I am doing something else on my phone, or even if the phone is asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking for a solution that will allow me to receive instant motion detection alerts. Push notifications on my Android phone specifically.

So, I bought a Foscam C1 on sale on Amazon, which has not been delivered yet, and I am reading some pretty bad reviews, specifically regarding it's motion detection alerts. Also it seems that the Foscam software will only send an email notification. While this may be nearly real time, I think a text message or push notification would be much better way of alerting me.

The Foscam was only $45.

Would a Hikvision camera be better suited than the Foscam for motion alerts by push notification? I seem to be reading better reviews on them

Is there an app that can monitor any camera and send a push notification, while running in the background? Obviously I do not plan on having the app open non-stop and want the notification to come in whether I am doing something else on my phone, or even if the phone is asleep.
If you want instant, flawless and highly customizable push notifications, run a blue iris server on your pc. blueirissoftware.com

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want instant, flawless and highly customizable push notifications, run a blue iris server on your pc. blueirissoftware.com
Does bi have better motion detection softwRe than the built in softwRe from cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does bi have better motion detection softwRe than the built in softwRe from cam?

yes, its also much more customizable. So you can have different settings for say night and day, home/away..alert vs record etc.

dollerprod

n3wb
Reaction score
I like it. Problem is, you guessed it, I don't have a computer that is up and running 24/7 at the moment (which is required correct?). But I can see that would be my best option if I did.

What is my next alternative? Am I understanding this right that the Hikvision IP cams have a way to send a push notification to me, but Foscam can not do this?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with a Hikvision NVR it can.. i dont believe they can push video w/out the video recorder, directly from the camera.. im not 100% certain, as I support Hik.

dollerprod

n3wb
Reaction score
with a Hikvision NVR it can.. i dont believe they can push video w/out the video recorder, directly from the camera.. im not 100% certain, as I support Hik.
If I can just get a notification on my phone, it can just be text-only. Anything like "motion detected on backyard camera," is all I'm looking for. Not necessarily any video or screens themselves (unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by 'push video'), although that would be good, if I can just be notified there is activity in a basic way, couldn't I then just pull up the stream? If so, a simple text alert would be what I am after.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All day long your going to get texts saying 'motion detected in back yard', and with no accompanying evidence someone is actually there you are going to get tired of checking video streams all the time and just going to start ignoring them in quick order.. so when someone is in your back yard, you'll never respond adequately or promptly.

Alerting on Video motion is entirely shit, the video motion built into your cameras was designed to do one thing only: save disk-space when nothing is happening... in order to capture actual human beings your going to have it sensitive enough to go off all the damn time from normal environmental changes.. and if you try to tune out the environment your going to get a notification a human is there mebe 1 out of 10 times.

If you still insist on being annoyed constantly about clouds, trees, and bugs.. then use BlueIris, and then at least you have a chance of turning most of it out eventually with a very elaborate motion scheme..

Intrusion Detection and Facial Recognition are the only decent methods of object tracking.. and even then they are limited in scope and only work well when you understand how they work and how to deploy it.

your never going to get 100% reliability out of video notification, and imho you should not bother if thats not obtainable.. when you have a notification system thats 100% reliable, you respond adequately and promptly 100% of the time.. when my system wakes me up and says my gate was just opened, I grab my gun and get the fuck out of bed asap.. because its never once been triggered falsely.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dollarprod is the foscam 1st cam u purchased?

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lol nayr.dollarprod u could also try a pir sensor with cam.cam has to have alarm input.im about to try that out but haven't figured out which cam I want.btw I have hikvision cam(model 2120) with sensitive bar set to lowest.my email box is at 3,000 lol.

dollerprod

n3wb
Reaction score
All day long your going to get texts saying 'motion detected in back yard', and with no accompanying evidence someone is actually there you are going to get tired of checking video streams all the time and just going to start ignoring them in quick order.. so when someone is in your back yard, you'll never respond adequately or promptly.

Alerting on Video motion is entirely shit, the video motion built into your cameras was designed to do one thing only: save disk-space when nothing is happening... in order to capture actual human beings your going to have it sensitive enough to go off all the damn time from normal environmental changes.. and if you try to tune out the environment your going to get a notification a human is there mebe 1 out of 10 times.

If you still insist on being annoyed constantly about clouds, trees, and bugs.. then use BlueIris, and then at least you have a chance of turning most of it out eventually with a very elaborate motion scheme..

Intrusion Detection and Facial Recognition are the only decent methods of object tracking.. and even then they are limited in scope and only work well when you understand how they work and how to deploy it.

your never going to get 100% reliability out of video notification, and imho you should not bother if thats not obtainable.. when you have a notification system thats 100% reliable, you respond adequately and promptly 100% of the time.. when my system wakes me up and says my gate was just opened, I grab my gun and get the fuck out of bed asap.. because its never once been triggered falsely.
I did not know they were so sensitive to other movements in the cameras field of view and maybe assumed they would have came up with techniques to reduce false alerts. That said, the area this will be placed is pretty static and there shouldn't be much of anything that would set off an alert. Unless you think that wind blowing over the surface of pool water would set it off... maybe the vacuum, other than that it will be orientated in a way that outside of the screen enclosure would not be visible.

Dollarprod is the foscam 1st cam u purchased?

What gave me away?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
outdoors is waaaay too dynamic, clouds going over in the day time will be the same as a person walking by as far as pixels changed.. and at night a moth or spider on the camera will be bigger than any human..

I record 24/7 because disks are cheap and tuning MD to never miss anything critical sucks.. I have 1 motion triggered camera, its inside my garage looking at a cat feeder and cat door.. its an audit log of my pets coming and goings, after about a week I managed to get it working well enough it never misses them, and yet a few times a day its still triggered by apparently nothing other than shadows coming through the tinted window.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use line-cross/intrusion detection and facial recognition to trigger alerts more reliably, but they can still be triggered falsely.. I have moths set off a line cross from time to time, and they also require time to acquire the target and track it.. so your area of interest better be in the center of frame, if you want to line cross a door at the edge of the frame it'll work fine for people coming from one direction, crossing the frame, begin tracked all the way across the line.. but from the other way it wont detect the object until its already crossed.

facial recognition needs to be put at face height in a location with proper lighting to get faces reliably all day and night, or else it too will miss people... Ive been very disappointed with facial detection so far, it has potential.. but outside it sux as bad as motion detection.

Line Cross and Intrusion detection zones are the best we got, and I can still get them to false trigger outside every once and a while.. no where as bad as basic motion detection but thus far every notification of a line cross at night has been a bug and not a human, so how am I going to react to it?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris set properly can give you almost zero false alerts. This is because motion detection has multi zones and you can set it so that you will only be notified when zones are crossed and/or if an alert takes place one than once over x period of time. All that is required is taking the time to learn how to use it.

dollerprod

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris set properly can give you almost zero false alerts. This is because motion detection has multi zones and you can set it so that you will only be notified when zones are crossed and/or if an alert takes place one than once over x period of time. All that is required is taking the time to learn how to use it.
I did look into it a bit and you are right it would be ideal for my purposes, but like I said I do not have a computer at home running 24/7 in order to use it. The wife and I both have laptops which are both our personal PCs and come with us daily for work..

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to run Blue Iris 24/7 on a computer that I use for Plex. sucks to have to run all the time but at least I can always have access to my server.

checkmeck

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

if your camera can send an email or open an URL on alarm, you can use https://www.pushsafer.com to get push notifications on alarm.

Simply register, download a client app for iOS or Android, register, after that you get an URL or an email address to enter in your IP camera. Now the camera sends an email with attached alarm image to pushsafer and they forward it to your device as push notifiaction.

Hope that helps
checkmeck

Eustace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

You are 100% right Nayr. Been down that road with 50 email notifications a day or more. We must include alarm sensors to get notified and use camera as a back up. That's my plan anyway. All my stuff is wired and no wireless sensors. I don't want false alerts. Thanks for your help on this forum.. Eustace.