Motion detection question: Dahua NVR and cameras

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I've been reading more about the cameras but I have to admit that I don't understand a lot of what I'm reading. I wish I had more time to devote.

This isn't for my home, it's for my vacation home in Florida. If it was my home I'd probably take more time and build a better system. But because I only get down there a couple times a year I'd like to just hire someone to install it and then just access it remotely.

If you had about $200 per camera which would you pick?

Thanks again everyone.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I've been reading more about the cameras but I have to admit that I don't understand a lot of what I'm reading. I wish I had more time to devote.

This isn't for my home, it's for my vacation home in Florida. If it was my home I'd probably take more time and build a better system. But because I only get down there a couple times a year I'd like to just hire someone to install it and then just access it remotely.

If you had about $200 per camera which would you pick?

Thanks again everyone.
Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The difference in specs is, the 5442, awesome, the cameras in the kit, not awesome.

I'll offer a simple alternative cause I have it and it's all doing super well. Dahua 4208-8p 4k nvr and 2431 turrets cameras. All plug and play. Couldn't be happier unless I got the 5442's lol.

In my setup, this is the nvr capture

And this is the ring doorbell pro capture. I really like it too. Refurb from ring for 100 bucks. Works like new. Great addition.

View attachment trim.537C1204-C981-4984-91C2-8CAD74431043.MOV

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this! How does the 5442 compare to the one he originally quoted (the N44BG52)?

The difference in specs is, the 5442, awesome, the cameras in the kit, not awesome.

I'll offer a simple alternative cause I have it and it's all doing super well. Dahua 4208-8p 4k nvr and 2431 turrets cameras. All plug and play. Couldn't be happier unless I got the 5442's lol.

And this is the ring doorbell pro capture. I really like it too. Refurb from ring for 100 bucks. Works like new. Great addition.

View attachment 72457

View attachment 72457

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are so many cameras!! He's telling me that I had the camera wrong that he wants to install the N43AJ52. I'm still not really sure about a lot of this but I'm pretty sure the 5442 camera that you've been talking about is better than this still.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera he's wanting to install is a discontinued model.
He can probably get it cheaper from his distributor, make a better profit.
It will not be nearly as good at night as the 5442 model I suggested.
Most of us here use the International versions of cams.
He would be using a US version.
Some of the best international nighttime cameras, never are sold in the US.
If you read this Cliff Notes it will explain things for you.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for that info (about it being discontinued). I suggested the camera you recommended. DH-IPC-HDW5442T-ZE
We'll see what he says. :)

liky

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys - i have smartpss soft and i need to know how i can connect remotely to the camera using port 80

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera he's wanting to install is a discontinued model.
He can probably get it cheaper from his distributor, make a better profit.
It will not be nearly as good at night as the 5442 model I suggested.
Most of us here use the International versions of cams.
He would be using a US version.
Some of the best international nighttime cameras, never are sold in the US.
If you read this Cliff Notes it will explain things for you.
Getting more confused. The one he quoted doesn't look discontinued according to this screen shot he sent me...

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 3.26.38 PM.png

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The one he quoted doesn't look discontinued according to this screen shot he sent me...
I think he may have been looking at the original camera model mentioned in earlier replies. That model is definitely EOL.

The sensor inside of the camera makes a big difference in how well the camera performs in low light. The N43AJ52 he's recommending has a relatively small sensor -- 4MP 1/3". The 5442 sensor is 4MP 1/1.8", which is bigger.

One way to roughly gauge how cameras might do in terms of low-light image quality is to look at their spec sheets for the Minimum Illumination Lux. The lower the lux, the better the camera is likely to perform. The N43AJ52 has a min lux spec of 0.005 Lux. That's not godawful (I think it's on par with the popular 5231 model that folks here started using back in 2016), but the 5442's min lux spec is 0.001 Lux. Better.

The 5442 model that folks here talk about is a Dahua International model number. If your installer tries to look up 5442 on the Dahua US (North America) site, he's not going to find anything.

This US model is similar to the NON-varifocal model of the international 5442 turret:
N45DJ62

I don't think the US has the varifocal 5442 model yet. The US often doesn't get many of the popular international models, for whatever reason.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you! This is very helpful. I was getting confused with all the different numbers. So, the N45DJ62 is a "5442" model. Sounds like that's a good one to get.

Soundchasr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should I get varifocal or fixed with some of these long views?

image.png

I'd like to be able to get motion detection up the driveway.