Motion Detection

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems things are constantly evolving and changing, so keeping up is sometimes hard.

With image and motion detection, I am trying to understand something. When I began my camera journey, I read about deepstack, and that what my direction. Then the improvement of camera detection followed so I see some folks not using deepstack. I more recently, started people referencing something called tripwire. Surely it is not new, just new to me. Is this simply that any motion in BI is a recorded alert?

Curious what strategy folks are using these days. Is deepstack a niche that is not needed vs what cameras like the 5442 already have built-in? I want to settle into somewhat of a standard as I begin adding more cameras as opposed to constantly chasing shiny objects. My goal, 24/7 substream recording with HD recordings or relevant events/activity at the camera. I am not looking to see the birds and all that, but in the event, some animal is passing through like a deer coming to eat my flowers or a raccoon coming for trash, it could be relevant.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tripwire refers to the IVS motion detection in Dahua cams (Hik has an equivalent also).

Deepstack is a great tool and can help eliminate false triggers, but if you are using the camera AI to trigger or have fine tuned your BI motion that you do not get any or many false triggers, then it is a resource on the computer that isn't needed.

If you use Deepstack on every camera and have the camera motion set really sensitive so that it is always sending stuff to Deepstack, it will hit the CPU hard.

So many of us have toyed with DeepStack to play with it and see what it is about, but then we start dialing it back. Do I really need to have DeepStack tell me it is a car going down the road for example? But for my few non-AI cameras that don't get a lot of motion but would trigger for clouds, yes this works very well to only notify me when a person is present.

So unless you really need the little orange person or vehicle icon showing up in BI, just go with the camera AI. Or for a special use case.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tripwire refers to the IVS motion detection in Dahua cams (Hik has an equivalent also).

Deepstack is a great tool and can help eliminate false triggers, but if you are using the camera AI to trigger or have fine tuned your BI motion that you do not get any or many false triggers, then it is a resource on the computer that isn't needed.

If you use Deepstack on every camera and have the camera motion set really sensitive so that it is always sending stuff to Deepstack, it will hit the CPU hard.

So many of us have toyed with DeepStack to play with it and see what it is about, but then we start dialing it back. Do I really need to have DeepStack tell me it is a car going down the road for example? But for my few non-AI cameras that don't get a lot of motion but would trigger for clouds, yes this works very well to only notify me when a person is present.

So unless you really need the little orange person or vehicle icon showing up in BI, just go with the camera AI. Or for a special use case.

I can see the load issue if it was local. For me I have deep stack in a docket container. Not that that changes the strategy overall, but it is the point that other than saving stills, it adds minimal load to my system.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dang. I just looked through the linked thread. I didn’t realize how smart these cameras are on their own.

not to mention the tripwires and areas configuration seems way cleaner than it is in BI. It was an aspect I never messed with as it was never clear to me. Guess I’ll be messing with this a bit.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just want to follow up with a question on ivs. I set a trip wire and was watching it live as my wife passed over it, but it didn’t trigger till half her body was over the line. Just want to understand the strategy of improving this.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just want to follow up with a question on ivs. I set a trip wire and was watching it live as my wife passed over it, but it didn’t trigger till half her body was over the line. Just want to understand the strategy of improving this.
Yes, that is the way it works. That's why proper placement of the tripwire or intrusion zone is key.
IVS needs to see the subject for a few seconds to determine if it should trip or not.
You can sometimes use a zig zagged line instead of just a straight tripwire, that helps in some circumstances.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That helps. I may extend into an area I don’t care about to get the detection in the area I want while that extra area does t actually trip

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also "stack" tripwires and intrusion zones and have multiple zones to pick things up better. Just add another level and create as you want.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there a size option I am missing for sensitivity? Something per say instead of 50% of my wife required it is only 25%.
Or is this merely where all the multiple detectors come in?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the best results, it is best to keep the min size as 0,0 and let the AI do it's thing. Unless they added sensitivity to a recent firmware update to the 5442, it does not have a sensitivity option, nor is one needed as most of us find it to be spot on.

Of course you cannot be trying to do too much with a field of view. A camera too high or trying to AI on the edges of the field of view can be problematic, as well as bushes or garbage cans that block the lower half of the boddy.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For the best results, it is best to keep the min size as 0,0 and let the AI do it's thing. Unless they added sensitivity to a recent firmware update to the 5442, it does not have a sensitivity option, nor is one needed as most of us find it to be spot on.

Of course you cannot be trying to do too much with a field of view. A camera too high or trying to AI on the edges of the field of view can be problematic, as well as bushes or garbage cans that block the lower half of the boddy.
Got it. I will play with it. I think the key from reading above is the idea of multiple layers if needed. A single box or trip wire might be ok. But other layers on it improve from good to better to best.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More is better to a point. I wouldn't go past three or four IVS rules.