Motion everywhere... :(

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently bought the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV from Andy and I am facing a dilemma with the motion detection.

My camera faces the front of my garage and a little bit of the street.
At daytime, motion detection works fine as I marked all my property as "red".

At nighttime I have a problem though:
Every time a car drives along the street, the headlights lighten up also my "red" zone which triggers the motion detection.
In other words, every car that passes my house is an event, so the motion detection doesnt make any sense.
Of course I played around with the sensivity and threshold, but that doesnt solve the problem.

Any ideas in how to capture real movement but no light changes?

Best regards,
Sammy

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t try and cover your whole yard as a MD zone. Limit the red boxes designating MD to critical areas. Draw a line so to speak with the MD boxes on the car and maybe up close to your garage door. It doesn’t really matter if someone walks into your yard a couple of feet.

Also doesn’t that camera have IVS? Much better than simple MD

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I can try but I am afraid that still the lights will trigger motion, since the beams reach pretty much everything. :(
Also IVS... I am running a Synology NAS, so that wont work, right?

Any other/more ideas?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS is the solution, playing with standard MD will be an endless journey.
I actually use regular MD on a handful of cameras and have over time figured out the best compromise. Generally it is limiting MD boxes to a very small select critical area. I dont need 15sq ft of coverage at my side door, 2-3 sq ft will tell me what i need to know.

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I am screwed with my Synology NAS I guess... .

Anyone else any other ideas?
How can I detect motion but not light changes with the Dahua Motion Detection without IVS?

Or is there a way to make IVS work with my
NAS?

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Synology nas as a NFS server and have cameras record to a NFS shared folder.
Then I use SmartPSS to view recordings.
I works okayish, the image is jerky, not smooth like when you watch it in live stream.
Sometimes it drops and misses frames

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could use Smart Home Sentry to analyze your images and only alert you if people are detected. It is an AI solution that is discussed on this forum along with others, such as AI Tool that uses DeepStack for it’s AI. The latter does require a dedicated computer while the former can be sent directly from your camera to Sentry and they alert you via email when a true alert is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am screwed with my Synology NAS I guess... .

Anyone else any other ideas?
How can I detect motion but not light changes with the Dahua Motion Detection without IVS?

Or is there a way to make IVS work with my
NAS?
I have exactly the same setup as you. Check out the last page of this thread: Trigger blue iris with IVS?. You might be able to get the script running on your Synology, but I use a RPi so Synology updates don’t mess up my custom scripts and configurations.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Sammy0815 ,

I have a synology to and while it's not my main thing, I do have some testing setup with it. I thought IVS should work with it, even with generic dahua ONVIF.
do you have the smart codec shut off ? (at the camera for starters) or do you have IVS working on the camera just not seeing the proper stuff on the syno side ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought IVS should work with it, even with generic dahua ONVIF
Dahua's IVS and Hikvsion's SmartEvents seem to use ONVIF Pull Point Subscriptions to work, which seems to be a subset on ONVIF that a lot of recording devices don't support.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
will have to check in a bit what I still have running there.

edit* maybe it's not working on generic dahau onvif, and only works on the supported models. or it doesn't work at all and I'm just not recalling stuff correctly.

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I will check too... I have hopes that I might make it work without additional Software or licenses.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I will check too... I have hopes that I might make it work without additional Software or licenses.
My experience is that if you don’t find your Dahua camera model among those that Surveillance Station offers - which is a good chance since Dahua has a trillion models - pick something close to it in terms of specs. That might work better than the GENERIC ONVIF profile.

Also don’t expect to get IVS working through Surveillance Station. If you do, I’d be very happy to hear how you did it. Surveillance Station only supports Motion Detection events, as far as I know.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a micro SD card installed and recording as well? You can set IVS tripwire in the camera settings itself and get notifications that way. Your NAS can still be recording.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to add as I wasn’t clear in my post above: I have IVS working with Synology Surveillance Station with a separate polling script, that sends detected events to Synology who starts recording and pushes notifications. Works great more or less, being the workaround that it is. The only big downside is that the events aren’t marked in the timeline, but I can live with that. What causes me more trouble is that I get false positives because the Dahua “AI” thinks cats, deers and car braking lights are humans.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has everyone opened support cases on the IVS events not being natively picked up, especially for timeline ? I am thinking if there is a ground swell of cases maybe they (synology) will look at fixing it.

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have a micro SD card installed and recording as well? You can set IVS tripwire in the camera settings itself and get notifications that way. Your NAS can still be recording.
Can you explain that in a little more detail?

Sammy0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Sammy0815 ,

I have a synology to and while it's not my main thing, I do have some testing setup with it. I thought IVS should work with it, even with generic dahua ONVIF.
do you have the smart codec shut off ? (at the camera for starters) or do you have IVS working on the camera just not seeing the proper stuff on the syno side ?
Well at this point I tried to enable tripwire on the cam, but nothing happens on the syno side... no alert.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well at this point I tried to enable tripwire on the cam, but nothing happens on the syno side... no alert.
but the IVS tripwire is working for you on the camera now, correct?
if so , open the suppoort case with synology as a starter.