Motion Pixelization (green blocks)

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been running BI for a few years now since v3.x and enjoy the product, excellent bang for the buck.

I'm running:
BI 4.3.7.2 x64 on Windows Server 2008 r2
48 gig ram, dual Xeon x5550 2.67Ghz processors with 8 cores/threads each
SSD OS and program drive on the motherboard, all other storage runs off a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8. Off the 9260 is a raid5 comprised of 4 regular drives, a raid0 with 1 ssd that hosts a virtual win7 machine, and two other raid0 regular hard drives. The BI program is on the OS drive, the DB and all the storage folders are on one of the raid0 regular hard drives (5tb Toshiba x300).

The network is robust. All wired portions are gigabit speed, with a 4 gigabit teaming connection to the server from the main switch. All wired networking goes through Nortel 5510 equipment, a regular 48 port and a 24 port POE in a single "stack" as they call it.

My cameras bought over the past few years are "Chinese ebay specials" 720 and 1080. All are POE except 2.

My topology is as follows
House: Server and Nortel stack are in the house, 6 POE and 2 WIFI cameras connect here.
AC1900 and an older DAP-2590 wireless access points.

Garage: AC1200 (wireless bridge to the 1900 in the house) and another Nortel POE switch. Eight POE cameras connect here, including two on long runs (300ish feet).

Remote: Two cameras that run off solar/battery and talk WIFI back to the house 2590 AP.

The server runs between 20 and 50% CPU usage and is using usually under 20 gb of the ram.

With all that crap out of the way, I have had an ongoing problem that is persistent across all 3 connections in my topology. Green blocks that display where there is motion. I can isolate it further, if I mask a part of the video feed from motion detection, the part that is masked does not have the green block problem, while the un-masked part does.

Am I asking too much sending 16 video feeds to the Toshiba x300 hard drive? Should I replace it with a SSD?

I have read the forums and tried most of the suggestions: iframe and fps tweaks, d2d or not, etc.

Any ideas?

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your problem, but it sounds like you are describing object rectangle highlighting that is an optional feature in Blue Iris. It is usually turned on to help troubleshoot and fine tune motion detection. I leave this feature turned on all the time since I am recording direct to disc and these rectangles are not visible in the recordings. The feature can be turned off:
Camera Properties\Trigger\Configure\Highlight = Do not highlight motion

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What pepper said... Additionally you would save substantial amounts of money replacing that powerhog servers with a modern machine

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
My mistake on saying green blocks, they are actually blue. In the attached video the top 1 inch is blocked from motion detection, notice the movement is clear and without blue blocks obscuring the action. All the area below the top 1 inch is subject to movement detection and is exhibiting the problem.

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman. I have highlight and rectangles turned on (I thought they were cool looking) and it turns out that seems to be the problem. I set a camera to "do not highlight motion" and the problem went away, now to change the settings for all the other cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman. I have highlight and rectangles turned on (I thought they were cool looking) and it turns out that seems to be the problem. I set a camera to "do not highlight motion" and the problem went away, now to change the settings for all the other cams.
While you are at it, enable direct to disc recording... You will save substantial CPU resources...

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Pepperfr, thank you too. I did not realize that the rectangles were more so for setup and troubleshooting motion detection, and not really meant to be kept on.

Fenderman, my current "powerhog" server is actually combining what used to be running on 3 separate computers. It combined that tasks of a dedicated BI machine, a dedicated DVR/Windows Media Center/MyMovies server, and my old Windows Server2003 machine. It has about 20TB of storage and provides all the media needs for every computer and tv in the house. It has 4 of 12 catv tuners aimed it for the household DVR service. It might be a powerhog (it's pulling about 315 watts) but it is doing all this while running mostly around 25% cpu usage. I run BI as a service, when the BI admin interface is not open, the server is running around 15%. Other than reduced CPU usage, is there other benefits I don't understand about direct to disk?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Pepperfr, thank you too. I did not realize that the rectangles were more so for setup and troubleshooting motion detection, and not really meant to be kept on.

Fenderman, my current "powerhog" server is actually combining what used to be running on 3 separate computers. It combined that tasks of a dedicated BI machine, a dedicated DVR/Windows Media Center/MyMovies server, and my old Windows Server2003 machine. It has about 20TB of storage and provides all the media needs for every computer and tv in the house. It has 4 of 12 catv tuners aimed it for the household DVR service. It might be a powerhog (it's pulling about 315 watts) but it is doing all this while running mostly around 25% cpu usage. I run BI as a service, when the BI admin interface is not open, the server is running around 15%. Other than reduced CPU usage, is there other benefits I don't understand about direct to disk?
The only benefit is CPU reduction...Your system is costing you 200-400 dollars more per year to run than a modern system...Put it on a killawatt meter....Also note that all VMS should be run on dedicated systems...