Motion recording ends early

genesius

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i cant find the correct settings to keep blue iris recording.

For example, as a vehicle pulls into view the recording starts, delivery driver gets out and walks to the camera in full view and then the recording stops. i dont get the full recording.

What i want is for it to start at the same time but i want to keep it recording while motion is going on and only stop if motion stops for say 10 seconds.

im obviously doing something wrong but i dont know what. Ive watched a few videos but i cant get it to work how i want. im using Hikvision cameras.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
The simplest way to avoid this issue is to record continuously. Relying on motion to trigger recordings and then hoping it stays on long enough can give you this issue.

See the following:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it's all guesswork as to how much time before an event (trigger) happens and how long after you want to record. these are controlled by pre-trigger video buffer and break time.

making these values larger will increase the before and after, but there'll still be a time (or two, or three, or....) that these settings still won't be long enough to catch everything in the recorded clip.

going to continuous recording is the solution. still keep triggering, but with continuous you have the entire event; before and after.

you may need an additional (or larger) disk drive if you have a minimum number of days you must retain.

genesius

n3wb
Reaction score
Continuous recording can’t be the only answer surely. I’ve had other nvr’s and as long as motion is continuing to happen the camera keeps recording. It’s like mine are reacting to the initial trigger and then just cutting off.
I have 3 cameras at the moment but it will soon be 6 or more. I already have at 8tb hard drive but with 6 cameras recording continuously I’d run out of space pretty sure.
mill have a go at changing the break time. I have the pre trigger set to 10 seconds at the moment but I’ll look at the break time. I thought like other nvr’s that the timer would keep restarting until motion stops.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using a 3 second pre trigger and a 5 second break time. When the recording stops also depends on the motion detection settings. That can take some fine tuning to get it where you want it. With continuous recording, as long as you get the initial trigger you've got the "marker" for activity. I record continuously and haven't had any real problems. 4TB drive, 8 2MP, 10 FPS, and 3 4mp, 10FPS, gives me about a weeks worth of recording which is more than enough time to find and export anything that turns out to be critical.

Last edited:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
as long as "trigger" (required minimum motion) is re-activated within the defined break time, the recording will continue for another duration of break time.

this will continue until insufficient motion for break time occurs and recording ends.

======================

1603385033254.png

Last edited: