Motion Sensor Set Up?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

This is something I'm dealing with now but I have effectively filtered out the cars on the street..

Suggestions?

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is pretty tolerable as it only happens maybe every few hours. It is at night when headlights are shining into Zone A that it goes nuts with the notifications. I'm not sure how to clear that up or maybe it is just a limitation of the technology? Am I trying to fix something that I cannot fix?

TIA

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot of what is triggering motion. I get quite a few of these false positives at night.

Cam2.20170304_013513.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to use zone crossing and possibly increase make times.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will need to use zone crossing and possibly increase make times.
Will zone crossing eliminate motion that originates in Zone A (my yard)? I'm thinking that if the motion starts in the yard, which is an unlikely scenario unless it is us coming out of the house or garage, then the cameras will not trigger.

I'm going with a 24 hour by 3 day video loop right now. This is probably the best thing to do but I'd like to get notified when motion is occurring in my yard either way.

MEZERR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Night time is difficult for notification alerts. Any lights from the cars is going to trigger motion in zone A. I'm not sure you can't filter that out reliably, without accidently filtering out something you actually want to be alerted on.

TBO, I have given up on live alerts because of all the false positives. Shadows, Clouds, Trees blowing, headlights, etc, etc. Every time I've tried to filter out unwanted activity, I always also accidently filter out wanted actibvity. It's a very fine line, and sometimes very difficult to get only 100% positive alerts.

My philosophy is that I'd rather have 100% of the real positive alerts, and a few false positives, then no false positives but missing real positives. If that makes sense...

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense. What I am now doing is just having it send an email alert and not the SMS alert at night. I want sleep over constant notifications of motion in the yard. I can then review it later and if something comes up I can look at the recordings. I have it on 24 hour recording now.

Reaction score
To deal with things blowing in the wind I've set up zone crossing (A-B, were for my driveway cam A is everything, B is just the driveway minus some area by garage doors and side yard plus some area to the side of the drive way). I still gets some false triggers in the AM by the garage doors(due to tree shadow blowing in the wind) so I'm going to set up a profile that's only active when door is open and in the afternoon when the same tree shadow blows across the sidewalk(I'll likely setup some profiles that moves zone B further toward street in shadow area and further up driveway). I have a similar zone setup for my other cam that covers the rest of my front yard and front entryway.

To cut down on head light triggers I found adding some IR flood lights help a lot and I don't even need to use zone crossing for my night profile and they also give much better quality night video as you can run faster shutter speeds and/or lower gain. I've has some more/bigger IR flood lights I recently ordered but haven't put up yet that should cut down on the head light triggers and allow me to turn my make time back down(I had to turn up a bit more than I'd like because the IR from my new PTZ cam was causing false triggers when patrolled across areas that don't currently have good IR coverage(I'm also replacing the 2 other cams with ones that don't have their own IR lights).

Reaction score
I've been toying with the Motion Sensor settings in BI and have excluded the street in front of my house but when I view video recorded that whole area is masked off too. I'd like to have the whole picture and thought this was for setting the area where motion will trigger a recording and send me a text. BI is still sensing cars on the street in front of my house but I get this (screen shot) as the video although the snapshot shows the full scene. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I'm still getting motion detected outside the zone.

View attachment 15381
Yo! The blacked out areas are only for countries where you are not allowed to monitor for instance your neighbors house. You will stay in compliance by having the camera pointing at their house but it's "blacked out" so no footage is recorded there. It is NOT for a motion detector zone.