Motion Zone for triggering script vs zone for triggering recording

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have a view of the front of my house and i have a large portion of the screen setup as a trigger, basically it is designed to not trigger on the main road.

What i'd like to do is that if it notices motion on my front walk, i'd like it to trigger an alert and run a script. I was able to change it to run the script but now im missing trigger events on the timeline that i would like to see because i had to shrink the motion zone.

is there any way to get both?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
setup a duplicate cloned camera...then hide the clone from display.

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh cool, how is that on CPU? Im running a tad on the high side right now :-/

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh cool, how is that on CPU? Im running a tad on the high side right now :-/
It has not affected my systems at all (make sure to hide the cam) others have reported an increase but i do not see it.

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I actually found multiple zones. I think this will work without having to clone it (clone is a separate stream, lot of wasted resources)

Camera Properties - Trigger - Motion sensor Configuration - Use Zones and Hot spot Edit - There is a zone selection on the top left, A is my alert zone and B is my record zone

To setup the alert

On the Alert tab make sure only zone A is selected

In my case i think this will work fine. If i wanted multiple alerts on different zones I'd have to setup a profile to pair up with it, since there is only one alert config based on the profile.
Also you cant configure different sensitivity settings for the zones, its just specific to the camera, which hopefully should be ok, but i'll have to do some testing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually found multiple zones. I think this will work without having to clone it (clone is a separate stream, lot of wasted resources)

Camera Properties - Trigger - Motion sensor Configuration - Use Zones and Hot spot Edit - There is a zone selection on the top left, A is my alert zone and B is my record zone

To setup the alert

On the Alert tab make sure only zone A is selected

In my case i think this will work fine. If i wanted multiple alerts on different zones I'd have to setup a profile to pair up with it, since there is only one alert config based on the profile.
Also you cant configure different sensitivity settings for the zones, its just specific to the camera, which hopefully should be ok, but i'll have to do some testing.
The cloned camera does not pull a second stream. You can see this in the status tab...one will show zero.
The problem with your solution is that you cannot independently trigger/set the alerts. A profile change will not help.

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah i think this is only good for this limited configuration, if i try to add anything it will require me to do the clone. at least now i have two methods :)

You are correct, i just verified with the status that its not pulling anything, very cool!