Mount IPC-HDW2231R-ZS To Wall

gopackgo1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several IPC-HDW2231R-ZS cameras that I am looking to mount to an interior wall. This wall is currently under construction. Just the metal joists currently exist.

What kind of box would you use to accommodate this? I will be pulling the Cat6 cable to each location as well if that matters. Would you do anything different if the drywall was already in place?

I see there is a wall mount ( PFB203W ) available but I would prefer to mount this directly to the wall.

Thanks for the help!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have several IPC-HDW2231R-ZS cameras that I am looking to mount to an interior wall. This wall is currently under construction. Just the metal joists currently exist.

What kind of box would you use to accommodate this? I will be pulling the Cat6 cable to each location as well if that matters. Would you do anything different if the drywall was already in place?

I see there is a wall mount ( PFB203W ) available but I would prefer to mount this directly to the wall.

Thanks for the help!
Hi gopackgo1

You can mount it directly on the wall w/o a junction box.

If you want a junction box look at the PFA131E iirc or one of the PFA136/137 ( one is larger - so check the size and see if it works for this model of camera )

gopackgo1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I could be wrong but those mounts look like they are just meant to be mounted on top of the drywall. I was thinking that there might be something equivelant to a single gang electrical box that you could mount prior to the drywall going in that the camera could then mount directly to. Does that not really exist?

Where does the data jack fit in to all of this? If you installed one of the boxes you mentioned over the top of a single gang electrical box, how would the data jack be fastened?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I could be wrong but those mounts look like they are just meant to be mounted on top of the drywall. I was thinking that there might be something equivelant to a single gang electrical box that you could mount prior to the drywall going in that the camera could then mount directly to. Does that not really exist?

Where does the data jack fit in to all of this? If you installed one of the boxes you mentioned over the top of a single gang electrical box, how would the data jack be fastened?
ahhh... yes, there is a new product Dahua started to make along those lines...

hmm... maybe @aristobrat posted it? ( I don't recall the model number - perhaps it is in the newer catalog? )

If I recall it was a plate that you can use on a 1-gang box

gopackgo1

n3wb
Reaction score
I would love some more info on that if it exists.

Also, what would have been the industry standard way to do what I am talking about prior to this new product from Dahua? Just in case I am unable to find it....

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have no desire to opt for a fixed lens camera, you can just stick with a PFA137 junction box and save a few dollars :D

gopackgo1

n3wb
Reaction score
That would just mount on top of the drywall though, wouldn't it? Where would you put the data jack if I used that junction box?

@mat200 - Is this the item you were thinking of:

That says it's for ceiling mounted installations. I'm trying to think through if that would work for what I am thinking of.

I would still love to know the industry standard way of doing this with a data jack etc.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Here's a few more pictures of that Dahua gang box adapter:

In the pictures I used a 1-gang old work box (low voltage) to make it a little easier, but you could also use a full old work box too. I'd attach the Dahua gang box adapter to this box, pull the CAT6 cable down the wall and out the box/adapter, punch down a jack end onto the CAT6 cable, connect the camera's ethernet + power pigtail to the new CAT6 cable I just made, tuck the wires into the wall (or box) then mount the camera to the Dahua gang box adapter.

For new construction you have the option of using a new work box that's attached to your metal joists in the wall, however that works.

@bababouy may be able to comment on if that's how cameras are mounted directly on interior walls "professionally".

Last edited: