MOVEFILE ERRORS

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seeing the following errors in different stages of the status log

MOVEFILE ERROR 2, MOVEFILE ERROR 3, MOVEFILE ERROR 112

Is there good guidance to explain these errors?

MOVEFILE ERROR 2 and MOVEFILE ERROR 112 are coming from simply moving Alerts, etc. between local-attached storage.

I'm getting a MOVE FILE ERROR 3 when traversing my clips into other folders. I have 4 tiers and believe I am following the protocol for properly setting limits for each folder so everything traverses properly. The machine is domain-joined and BlueIris runs as an account with Administrative rights. All storage is 'local' to the system, per se. The last tier moves files between drive letters but the final destination is on cloud storage however this is connected to the system via RaiDrive and I am licensed to use the product accordingly for this purpose. The cloud bucket is connected in a manner where the drive appears to be 'local'. When I am logged in as the user configured as the service account, I can clearly copy data between all of these disks and partitions.

Is there a good definition for the MOVE FILE ERROR 3 error? Is this permissions, etc.? If data is backed up via FTP, is it still cataloged in the database? I think this is what I was shooting for here. I suppose I could just disable the service and run the application interactively if that helps the cause. I am running on a physical machine dedicated to BlueIris.

Thoughts?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Screen shots:

1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
2) blue Iris status cameras tab
3) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder aux1, aux2 (five screen shots)
4) on two of the camera properties the record tab.(2 screen shots)

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Screen shots:

1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
2) blue Iris status cameras tab
3) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder aux1, aux2 (five screen shots)
4) on two of the camera properties the record tab.(2 screen shots)
Got it....rounding them up.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What are drives h, s and W?

For example you move files form Aux1 to Aux2, if the locations are effectively the same then there is little point in doing this and will waste resources and time to move files.

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are drives h, s and W?

For example you move files form Aux1 to Aux2, if the locations are effectively the same then there is little point in doing this and will waste resources and time to move files.
The intent is for files to start off on fast storage on the Blue Iris machine (i.e. SSD)...this would be H:, then move to S: which is locally connected on WDPurple storage and then the aux locations...which are the same cloud storage bucket at Wasabi connected with RaiDrive as a "local" device. aux2 is likely not needed as long as I know files start falling off of aux1 via the limit set there. I think the key is to make sure the 'delete' process is working, as expected, rather than overloading disk space or having files deleted without intent. I'm pretty good about flagging anything I need to keep and I only keep it long enough to convert to MP4...then I release the flag.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a space allocation issue on the H drive, see the red. any red is not good.
Not sure why the W drive is not showing any used space or free space.
More than likely the AUX2 drive will never be used, Aux1 is 30 days and AUX2 is 10 days.
Combine AUX1 and AUX2 to a single storage unit.
Not sure why they is no space used on the AUX1/2 on the display, but it shows 207G used.
what is the purpose of recording continuous to a 0.1GB file for 30 minutes.

It is general not a good idea to record to a SSD for video. It will kill the SSD, Read how SSD read and WRITE and how they do bad block allocation.
The 112 error is a Microsoft error for not enough space, or allocation error.
Error 3 is path not found.
error 2 file not found.

The BI log file will indicate the files being moved and deleted.
If you are manually deleting BI files, this may be the cause of your problem. The database thinks the files are there and the space is used.

Step one delete the files in the C:\blueiris\DB , then reboot the BI PC, so that it rebuild the database.
Step two make sure you can write to the W drive using the credentials that the BI service is using.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.

Last edited:

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have a space allocation issue on the H drive, see the red. any red is not good.
Not sure why the W drive is not showing any used space or free space.
More than likely the AUX2 drive will never be used, Aux1 is 30 days and AUX2 is 10 days.
Combine AUX1 and AUX2 to a single storage unit.
Not sure why they is no space used on the AUX1/2 on the display, but it shows 207G used.
what is the purpose of recording continuous to a 0.1GB file for 30 minutes.

It is general not a good idea to record to a SSD for video. It will kill the SSD, Read how SSD read and WRITE and how they do bad block allocation.
The 112 error is a Microsoft error for not enough space, or allocation error.
Error 3 is path not found.
error 2 file not found.

The BI log file will indicate the files being moved and deleted.
If you are manually deleting BI files, this may be the cause of your problem. The database thinks the files are there and the space is used.

Step one delete the files in the C:\blueiris\DB , then reboot the BI PC, so that it rebuild the database.
Step two make sure you can write to the W drive using the credentials that the BI service is using.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
OK....most of those things are simple corrections. I can write alerts to SSD and I'll bring the other items over to spindle.

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So let's say New and Stored are on the same disk....what is the purpose of setting Stored to 0? Wouldn't I benefit from everything just being written to Stored? If I were to choose to use different folders for the cameras, etc., I still want files to eventually get over to W: which has more space to retain select items for a bit longer than the 3TB has in local storage.

Even after all of this clean-up, I'm still getting the MOVEFILE ERROR 3. I suppose this may the database thinking something exists that doesn't. You mentioned shutting down the processes and then removing the contents of the DB directory...wouldn't this also be accomplished by a Repair/Regenerate of the database in the BlueIris context menus?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
New and Stored are just the default names/storage that BI configures. It’s then up to you how you use them. To me creating New and Stored on the same spindle then moving files from one to the other to me that serves no real purpose.

If you set one of the storage areas to say a NAS and then set New or Storage to move files to there then that does serve a purpose.

In all cases you need to let BI manage the clips else it thinks a clip is there when it really isn’t etc

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So a database rebuild should provide current location of files and then follow the clips/archiving rules accordingly, correct?

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have New on the S: drive, dropped alerts on another partition (not as concerned about them) and when New gets full, I want the files copied to W: but this step is not working. I continue to get MOVEFILE ERROR 3 errors in the status screen. If error 3 means 'path not found', why is it I can clearly see the file exists when I look at the path mentioned in the Message column of the status? For what it is worth, I also see files mentioned which do not exist. If the database is rebuilt, why is it referencing files which it would have never found in the rebuild because they did not exist. I wanted to flush out Stored so I set to 100GB limit with a rule to move it to aux1 on W:\. Is this the wrong approach to retain these files?

I sense I have two major, remaining problems. One is the fact that clips are trying to copy and failing...some of these clips exist and some do not....even after a complete DB rebuild. The second issue is I have yet to see any files, even those which exist, get copied from any folder on S:\ to W:\. I'd like to have the extended archive videos in the db if I can. If the system refuses to use the W:\ drive, despite the configuration, I'll rip it out and go with an FTP backup method to the cloud storage instead.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More than likely you do not have the W drive setup Correctly. If running BI a service, the service must have full read/write access to the W drive. Th W drive must be mapped and available to the service.

Login with the service credential and try to write to the w drive.

To rebuild the database correctly, the database must be delete, then the system rebooted. I my test the database "repair" function it does not check the windows folders for the files.

Problems with access to file servers have has a number of problems posted, most all have to do with security and privilege access.

DurandClan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK....so an update....both remaining issues are fixed and here was how.

Issue 1, I switched the BI service to use an administrator account...in my case, a domain account which has local admin rights on the system since it is domain-joined. One key note here is in doing so, many of my tweaks were gone from BI and I figured some settings may have been affixed to the registry for LocalSystem. Backed up my configuration as the LocalSystem account and then reapplied once the service started with the dedicated account. This got the cameras working again with efficient settings.

Issue 2, I implemented many of the recommendations provided here....dumbed it down to just using a 'New' folder. Alerts and Triggered clips go to SSD but the Continuous Video goes to WDPurple disk. The New and Alerts folders are set to go to Aux1 (W:\) drive when thresholds are met for those folders. Things like cluster size I already knew and had already set properly (being a systems engineer for 25 years helps). The issue writing to W:\ came down to two things. One was using a dedicated account for the service and the other was a configuration setting in the RaiDrive software. As I mentioned before, it is used to connect to cloud storage in a nice simple manner. I have a bucket set up in Wasabi (S3 storage) since it is pretty cheap and I have fast upload speed to the cloud. So RaiDrive allows me to put in the API security keys to connect to the storage bucket and literally map it as a local drive. One configuration setting was incorrect. There is a setting that sets the drive to Private/Public since you really don't have traditional ACLs on the disk. I had it set to Private and once I set to Public, BI was able to execute the copy process properly.

The information in this post was instrumental in simplifying the disk layout and storage of the content being recorded as well as a couple of dumb camera settings I had overlooked which explained some of the weird behavior I was witnessing on that end. Thanks to those who assisted. Hopefully this post can help others as well.