moving color banding artifacts in low light

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have this 1080p pinhole camera with ultra low lux sensor.. when lights are very low.. I'm getting moving color banding artifacts (like in this attached picture where you can see horizontal color line banding.. it's very dark area really). What is the exact terms for it.. is it normal?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have this 1080p pinhole camera with ultra low lux sensor.. when lights are very low.. I'm getting moving color banding artifacts (like in this attached picture where you can see horizontal color line banding.. it's very dark area really). What is the exact terms for it.. is it normal?
That is normal...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Chances are it is just low levels of sensor noise that are being amplified along with the rest of the video signal, as part of the process of brightening up the image in extremely low light. It is common for all kinds of noise patterns to appear in low light images.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But I have 2 pcs of exactly the same model.. both same low light target side by side.. the other doesn't have the moving color bands.. is it possible sensors of similar models can vary in the noise patterns?

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can see similar banding in the first image in post 64 here...
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3718-Hikvision-s-new-4MP-2-series/page5
sensors may vary, settings on the cameras may be different...
if settings of the two similar models are exactly the same and it is the sensors that is the culprit.. what cause different noise patterns in the identically(manufactured) sensors of the *same* model.. is it electron doping or more of the circuitry quality? is it like in the semiconductor where some cpu of same model are rejected and some accepted.. and again related to the silicon material?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if settings of the two similar models are exactly the same and it is the sensors that is the culprit.. what cause different noise patterns in the identically(manufactured) sensors of the *same* model.. is it electron doping or more of the circuitry quality? is it like in the semiconductor where some cpu of same model are rejected and some accepted.. and again related to the silicon material?
I have no idea...its more likely that while the cameras look they same they are not the same internally, either the sensor or the lens...its common for manufacturers to use multiple suppliers. Also try moving the camera with the issue to the EXACT location of the camera without issue and see if that changes anything.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have no idea...its more likely that while the cameras look they same they are not the same internally, either the sensor or the lens...its common for manufacturers to use multiple suppliers. Also try moving the camera with the issue to the EXACT location of the camera without issue and see if that changes anything.
I did that and everything for 5 hours.. I removed the enclosure, exchanged it with each other.. removed the wiring.. and exchanged it too, etc.... and the same color banding appears in one.. the other seems to have banding too.. but not colored...

accrording to the following site..http://www.ultimatephotoguide.com/correcting-noise-and-artifacts-in-digital-images/

still images noises are of 3 kinds

fixed noise
banding noise
random noise

banding noise seems to be related to how the circuit read the sensor.. but do you know why the pattern is banding? what exactly its relationship with reading the sensor data?