Moving flagged (stored) clips to a new machine

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, in the process of testing Blue Iris on new Windows 11 install, only want to bring across the flagged/stored clips from existing, I copied them over but nothing shows up, have tried rebuiliding etc, no dice. Also found out the newer version of BI auto deletes stored above 20GB, that was a lesson learned, blew away 1TB of moved clips :facepalm: :lol:

Any suggestions welcome, would be nice to keep the stored clips for reference.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Never manually move/delete files from Blue Iris managed folders (this will corrupt the database).

Instead...
  1. Use the 'Special views' control to isolate the items you want.
  2. Ctrl-click the items you want, or type Ctrl-A to select them all
  3. Right-click a selected item, then select 'Move' for options
Stop the Blue Iris service on the new machine while you copy files.
Once the desired files are copied to the new machine, restart Blue Iris and perform a database Delete & Regenerate.
Or you can blow out the new machine's database by deleting folder C:\BlueIris\db before restarting the service.

1718570714593.png

1718570747139.png

1718571229141.png

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never manually move/delete files from Blue Iris managed folders (this will corrupt the database).

Instead...
Once the desired files are copied to the new machine, restart Blue Iris and perform a database Delete & Regenerate.
Or you can blow out the new machine's database by deleting folder C:\BlueIris\db before restarting the service.

View attachment 196607

View attachment 196608

View attachment 196610
Thank you kindly for those instructions, I had no idea! :facepalm: Once 'copy only to...' is clicked then pick a folder presumably straight across network etc to new location? and all should be good. This will then keep formatting, properties, flagged/protected status and so on.

Just for reference, if there is a variation in versions, will this procedure still work OK. I am moving from 5.6.2.5 to 5.8.8.8 currently.

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Instead...

View attachment 196607

View attachment 196608

View attachment 196610
OK, tried the Copy only to... then selected shared folder on network, error comes back as 'source file not found' even though all the clips playback fine? not sure why. Also tried to local folder, same error, unprotected the clips, still failed.

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
OK, tried the Copy only to... then selected shared folder on network, error comes back as 'source file not found' even though all the clips playback fine? not sure why. Also tried to local folder, same error, unprotected the clips, still failed.
Bummer. I don't have access to my computer at the moment to replicate your observations. I'll report back later...

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bummer. I don't have access to my computer at the moment to replicate your observations. I'll report back later...
Thank you for that, I also tried a repair/regenerate on existing install, still same error.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Once 'copy only to...' is clicked then pick a folder presumably straight across network etc to new location? and all should be good. This will then keep formatting, properties, flagged/protected status and so on.
Some of these properties are recoverable, but only if the flagged/protected alerts have a JPG or DAT file. I've created a powershell script that takes advantage of this. Check out the thread to learn more.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm running 5.9.3.2 and I Just successfully used Move > Copy only to on 3 selected files
copy_from_BI_selection.png

to both a local folder
copy_from_BI_local.png

and a network folder
copy_from_BI_LAN.png

You may need to email Ken at blueirissupport.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm running 5.9.3.2 and I Just successfully used Move > Copy only to on 3 selected files
View attachment 196623

to both a local folder
View attachment 196624

and a network folder
View attachment 196625

You may need to email Ken at blueirissupport.
Thanks, sorry for delay, interesting, I am trying to move flagged video (*.bvr) clips which are between 1 to 4gb each, not sure if that would make a difference, guess I maybe need to update version. Also I need to select a large number of clips to get the full move menu displayed with copy showing.

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, sorry for delay, interesting, I am trying to move flagged video (*.bvr) clips which are between 1 to 4gb each, not sure if that would make a difference, guess I maybe need to update version. Also I need to select a large number of clips to get the full move menu displayed with copy showing.
I copied *.bvr files today with no issues - to both local and network destinations. But I tried only 5 as a test. I don't think any exceeded 1GB.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I copied *.bvr files today with no issues - to both local and network destinations. But I tried only 5 as a test. I don't think any exceeded 1GB.
I think maybe next stop is to upgrade existing version, see if that resolves the error, go from there.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some of these properties are recoverable, but only if the flagged/protected alerts have a JPG or DAT file. I've created a powershell script that takes advantage of this. Check out the thread to learn more.
Just been looking at this, my 'alerts' folder is empty, although I do have flagged/protected video clips only, no jpeg images. I assume this means the powershell script is null and void for me personally?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Side note, I upgraded to latest stable release, error still persists when trying to move/copy flagged.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Side note, I upgraded to latest stable release, error still persists when trying to move/copy flagged.
Maybe you have a permissions issue?

Just a thought - Are you using the 'local service' account in the Blue Iris service?
See the Help PDF section 'Alerts and Actions > Testing the action set' section for more info.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe you have a permissions issue?

Just a thought - Are you using the 'local service' account in the Blue Iris service?
See section Administration > Testing the action set section for more info in the the Help PDF.
Maybe, it is running as a service and as Admin. It shouldn't be that but :idk: