Moving flagged (stored) clips to a new machine

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alright, I tested out latest release and the export alert to bvr function, that does work but the clip is super short, like 1-2 seconds or so, where as the original flagged clip would be long as you like essentially. It seems like that new release shortens all flagged and alerts when playing back, if I then install the older release, those alerts and flagged clips playback in full. Seems like I will not be able to get these flagged clips onto the new install, at least not so I can just play them back from the alert point, that is kind of a shame.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is this when you double-click a bvr, or an alert. This behavior is normal for the former. If it's the later, it appears that the database has lost the offset for the alert.

If an Alert has a JPG file in the Alerts folder, then Blue Iris can recover a variety of database entries from the EXIF data - if needed - when regenerating the database.

You can examine the the JPG's EXIF data from Windows File Explorer via right-click > Properties > Details tab.
In this example, the offset value is embedded in the 'Comments' field value, which I've highlighted.
View attachment 196783

Other Alert properties embedded in EXIF data are revealed by looking at the Alerts JSON clipstats command response...
View attachment 196784
Thanks for that, sadly my alerts folder has never been used, I do not take any jpeg snapshots which may be an error on my part, see my other post above, looks like my chances of getting those clips to run as was is zero, I can access the full bvr clip but the alert marker point will just not be available. Be kind of nice if you could just export the flagged items, then import to the new install, alert, clip and all, easy for me to say of course, I know!

It was when clicking on bvr, sorry, didn't clarify that, sadly the alert does not show up, just the clip.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Alright, I tested out latest release and the export alert to bvr function, that does work but the clip is super short, like 1-2 seconds or so, where as the original flagged clip would be long as you like essentially. It seems like that new release shortens all flagged and alerts when playing back, if I then install the older release, those alerts and flagged clips playback in full. Seems like I will not be able to get these flagged clips onto the new install, at least not so I can just play them back from the alert point, that is kind of a shame.
This is an argument to saving Alert JPGs, and for regularly protecting Alerts you want to retain.

Just don't make the Alerts folder so large that it accumulates anything close to 100,000 files, which can drag down Blue Iris' performance. Mine is just 3 GB and currently contains ~6500 files (JPGs and DATs).

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is an argument to saving Alert JPGs, and for regularly protecting Alerts you want to retain.

Just don't make the Alerts folder so large that it accumulates anything close to 100,000 files, which can drag down Blue Iris' performance. Mine is just 3 GB and currently contains ~6500 files (JPGs and DATs).
Yes, indeed, kind of a pain to be honest, rarely go back to those alerts, if I want to it will have to be either on the old system or simply dredging through the bvr clip. Looks like I will be turning on alert jpg's going forward. For now it seems my indexed 250 odd flagged items will be put out to pasture.

My logical brain is whirling, thinking why can't I transfer files from same version to same version, regenerate and things work on the new system as per the old? drive letters are identical, if I pulled the db files and all folder contents, what do you think?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
To save JPGS, use Camera settings > Alert > Add to the alerts list > Hi-res JPEG files
If you use AI, an alternative to is enable 'Burn markup onto alerts images' on the AI configuration dialog.

why can't I transfer files from same version to same version, regenerate and things work on the new system as per the old? drive letters are identical, if I pulled the db files and all folder contents, what do you think?
Just try it?

To say Blue Iris' database is sub-optimal is being kind. Beyond saying that, I will not pile on.

As an aside, I've encouraged Ken to add the BVR's data memo*** to the BVR file's metadata so it could be recovered on a database Regenerate. He said it was "good idea"... Now I'm thinking maybe it could include more database info, like for protected Alerts that have do not have a JPG.

*** EDIT: I tried using the memo to document the time of key events in archived/important clips... but after adding a bunch, I lost them all on a database Regenerate; hence my request.

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To save JPGS, use Camera settings > Alert > Add to the alerts list > Hi-res JPEG files
If you use AI, an alternative to is enable 'Burn markup onto alerts images' on the AI configuration dialog.

Just try it?

To say Blue Iris' database is sub-optimal is being kind. Beyond saying that, I will not pile on.

As an aside, I've encouraged Ken to add the BVR's data memo*** to the BVR file's metadata so it could be recovered on a database Regenerate. He said it was "good idea"... Now I'm thinking maybe it could include more database info, like for protected Alerts that have do not have a JPG.

*** EDIT: I tried using the memo to document the time of key events in archived/important clips... but after adding a bunch, I lost them all on a database Regenerate; hence my request.
Tempted to try moving flagged clips c:\Blueiris and program files data across to matching version, probably asking for trouble based on previous experience! you know how it is though, curiosity gets the better of you, will to succeed or whatever you want to call it, stubbornness probably more accurate.

I think building additions into the database to cover this would be a good option, making these statements is easy enough, especially when I am not the one having to implement it, still be nice though.

Will try moving all associated folder contents from existing install later today, mirror BI versions and roll the dice.

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I tried moving c:\blueiris folder, program files folder, program data folder to same version, but no luck with flagged. If you think I am missing any files or folders in that move, let me know! The flagged clips initially showed in the list but 'no source file' error, then after a full database regen etc, they were never seen again. Guess we are at the mercy of the database here and somehow missing the marker which is associated on the original, so close, yet so far. :(

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, I tried moving c:\blueiris folder, program files folder, program data folder to same version, but no luck with flagged. If you think I am missing any files or folders in that move, let me know! The flagged clips initially showed in the list but 'no source file' error, then after a full database regen etc, they were never seen again. Guess we are at the mercy of the database here and somehow missing the marker which is associated on the original, so close, yet so far. :(
I guess I would have tried this... (assuming the Blue Iris installation on the new machine uses the EXACT SAME BI version and folder names and structures as the old)
  1. Stop the Blue Iris service on both machines.
  2. Delete the contents of these folders on the new machine: a) c:\blueiris\db and, b) the folders in the Settings > Storage tab.
  3. Copy the contents of the same folders from the old machine to the new.
  4. Restart the Blue Iris app (&service) on the new machine
  5. Perform a database regenerate action, if not already performed when Blue Iris started.
Please keep in mind that I've never actually tried this... so it's just a brain fart.

BTW, I checked my installation by opening folder %APPDATA% to confirm that it did not contain a Blue Iris (or Perspective Software) related folder. It does not.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess I would have tried this... (assuming the Blue Iris installation on the new machine uses the EXACT SAME BI version and folder names and structures as the old)
  1. Stop the Blue Iris service on both machines.
  2. Delete the contents of these folders on the new machine: a) c:\blueiris\db and, b) the folders in the Settings > Storage tab.
  3. Copy the contents of the same folders from the old machine to the new.
  4. Restart the Blue Iris app (&service) on the new machine
  5. Perform a database regenerate action, if not already performed when Blue Iris started.
Please keep in mind that I've never actually tried this... so it's just a brain fart.

BTW, I checked my installation by opening folder %APPDATA% to confirm that it did not contain a Blue Iris (or Perspective Software) related folder. It does not.
Thanks, yes pretty much identical process, empty folders on new machine, stop all services, move data, triple check, restart service, regen DB. This kind of thing really bugs me, blame my day job, I do not give up easily!

Appreciate your input again, helps confirm I am not going totally mad.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, yes pretty much identical process, empty folders on new machine, stop all services, move data, triple check, restart service, regen DB. This kind of thing really bugs me, blame my day job, I do not give up easily!

Appreciate your input again, helps confirm I am not going totally mad.
Guess it's time to email Ken (if not done already)

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Guess it's time to email Ken (if not done already)
Done, no dice until maybe the options to export flagged items appears on a future release, it was hinted. Just a pain really, means I either sit and wait or export the section of the bvr clip I need in another format. With 200+ flagged items that is a long job.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I threw the towel in for now :lol: - exported critical flagged to avi/mp4 and got on with life. I will get over it in a month or two :rofl::lmao: