Much more performance gain?

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im currently running bi on a i3 nuc with 16gb ram and m2 ssd with 10 cams and its idle around 5-10% cpu.

Though I have a msi laptop here with an i7 3610QM, nvidia gpu, 16gb ram and ssd.

Is it worth using the laptop instead of the nuc? Not really had performance problems, but the i7 sounds on paper better?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
im currently running bi on a i3 nuc with 16gb ram and m2 ssd with 10 cams and its idle around 5-10% cpu.

Though I have a msi laptop here with an i7 3610QM, nvidia gpu, 16gb ram and ssd.

Is it worth using the laptop instead of the nuc? Not really had performance problems, but the i7 sounds on paper better?
What model i3?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. 5-10% CPU utilization is fine, even for a NUC. Depending on the GPU in the laptop it may not even be usable by BI and is a power hog in any event.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing here but I'm guessing you are probably using the "Limit decoding" feature in BI to get usage that low. Either that or your cameras are really low resolution / frame rate. If you don't have CPU consumption problems when remote viewing then there is little reason to switch to a laptop that probably would have to run noisy fans continuously under such a load.

An Nvidia GPU in a system with a 3rd gen i7 is probably way too old to be usable in BI (not that you'd want to anyway).

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just guessing here but I'm guessing you are probably using the "Limit decoding" feature in BI to get usage that low. Either that or your cameras are really low resolution / frame rate. If you don't have CPU consumption problems when remote viewing then there is little reason to switch to a laptop that probably would have to run noisy fans continuously under such a load.

An Nvidia GPU in a system with a 3rd gen i7 is probably way too old to be usable in BI (not that you'd want to anyway).
Yes of course I tried to do what is suggested in here like direct to disc, 10-15fps and so on. From what I understood having over 10 fps is no point anyway?

The cameras is all 1080 with 264 compression of type HDW5231R-Z

I dont really have any problems with using the webui unless more than 2 people are watching at the same time plus an event like a flag making bi go into analyze crazy mode.

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a similar NUC with no problems, prefer it due to being more compact, can hide it away and will reboot on a power out and auto restart Blueiris, unlike a laptop, which also are not really designed for permanently on.

Andy

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both NUC and laptop have only one ethernet port?

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there is no need for two ethernet ports
Not that I tried, but intel lan supports multiple vlans on one ethernet port. I run all my cameras in a locked down vlan and running two vlan on the nuc as its builtin to the software. That way the only entry point to the surveilance is through BI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I tried, but intel lan supports multiple vlans on one ethernet port. I run all my cameras in a locked down vlan and running two vlan on the nuc as its builtin to the software. That way the only entry point to the surveilance is through BI
This was just a side point. Neither of your solutions are ideal. A $100 small form factor PC will perform better and have room for local storage.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This was just a side point. Neither of your solutions are ideal. A $100 small form factor PC will perform better and have room for local storage.
Yes, that point I dont disagree with out, and that would be the goal. The situation now though is I have those two options to work without having to buy anything new (they are just staying there) - might not be ideal but one of them surely have to be a better solution than the other one?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that point I dont disagree with out, and that would be the goal. The situation now though is I have those two options to work without having to buy anything new (they are just staying there) - might not be ideal but one of them surely have to be a better solution than the other one?
sell one and buy a desktop

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sell one and buy a desktop
Im not really sure where to get a i7 small form factor with 16gb ram for under 100 bucks? I don’t live in the us :/ ofc I need to find one with low power consumption

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not really sure where to get a i7 small form factor with 16gb ram for under 100 bucks? I don’t live in the us :/ ofc I need to find one with low power consumption
who said anything about an i7 for 100. first i7 is a meaninless name. There are so many variants. An i5-3570 for 100 dollars will be significantly more powerful than your i3-6100u nuc.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
who said anything about an i7 for 100. first i7 is a meaninless name. There are so many variants. An i5-3570 for 100 dollars will be significantly more powerful than your i3-6100u nuc.
Of course. Are you thinking about something like hp elite that is all over eBay?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, found a elitedesk with 6500 cpu, 8gb ram and ssd on a local sales page here, so sent a bid at 150usd. Hopefully it will be a better solution that the laptop :)
much better solution.