Multiple camera image quality is garbage.

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I currently have 3 DBPower wireless cameras along with Blue Iris software. Setting up the cameras is fairly simple after a little bit of practice. The first camera I have setup without a problem it streams in 1080p like it's suppose to etc etc. When I go to add a second or third camera the image quality drops to the lowest setting, like 430x180 if I remember. My question is, why does it drop the image quality so bad? Is there a way around this? I'm running them wireless and my internet speeds are 360.00 mbps download and 30.00 mbps upload. Can someone please help me? Thanks! I forgot to mention the computer I'm running the software on is an Intel I7 4970k, Gtx 980, 32gb ram, Z97 Classified MB, 4k monitor, 1200 watt power supply. If that matters.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Deep6 the wireless cameras and move to wired POE cameras. You can purchase decent wired POE cameras for $50.00 to $100.00 each these days. Do this and your cameras will be trouble free and you can get back to oiling your long guns. Try to futz with wireless and your going to spend a fortune in time and aggravation only to be ultimately disappointed with the end result.

Reaction score
I would love to have poe cameras. We built the house 9 years ago and my dumb ass never thought about pre-wiring the house. Wireless is the only option I have. I just don't understand why one camera is crystal clear while the other two cameras are 380x140.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was not suggesting permanently wire them up, just take them down and plug em into your switch to test.. it sounds like its pulling the sub-stream and not the main-stream.

Wireless is not the only option you have, there is a much better one avilable.. and you can use any camera you want, its called power line networking:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_30?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=power+line+networking+adapters&sprefix=Power+Line+Networking+Adapters,aps,165&rh=n:172282,k:power+line+networking+adapters

Ultimately WiFi is not adequate for use with a NVR like BI, cant save recordings remotely over a network connection not guaranteed to be there or provide adequate throughput.. WiFi cameras are only acceptable if your: not saving the stream (WebCam), or are only recording the stream to local SD storage.

nature dictates you have no control over Wifi and it will not give you a steady service 24/7/365, its like trying to stop dogs from farting, birds from singing, or fish from swimming..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would love to have poe cameras. We built the house 9 years ago and my dumb ass never thought about pre-wiring the house. Wireless is the only option I have. I just don't understand why one camera is crystal clear while the other two cameras are 380x140.
Unless your home has poured concrete walls you can retrofit/pull cat5e or 6 cable, I am certain. If you remove the "good cam" and one of the bad cams and reboot your entire system what happens to the remaining single "bad cam" which has been left running on your network?

Reaction score
I have an ac2400 router with a a couple of range extenders. The house is just under 5,000 sq ft. The signal is at full strength inside where I have the cameras laying on my desk. In the software for the cameras, it gives me an option for 1-3 stream. They are all on 1st stream. Should I play with that setting and see what it does? I'm at a loss!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most people's wifi networks fall apart with >2 cameras on it, range extenders actually hurt and half your throughput.. if they are going through one of them then it'll fall apart sooner.

dont care signal quality and equipment, there is simply not enough throughput.. HD video is a huge burden to Wireless.

If they are on your desk, plug em into a switch and see what happens..

*edit* You got one more chance to prove to us its not your wireless network, either do as I or Q2U suggests or bugger off.. we wont help people whom ignore us, why are you here if you know more than this community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Ok, I deleted the camera that was actually working as it should. I setup a different camera onto the network. The image quality improved just a tiny bit by going to 640x380 and not the full 1080. And no i don't have anything routed through the range extenders. I only use that for when I'm in the garage and I want to watch a you tube video on how to fix something.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well then its your wifi network, your going to need to wire them up as we originally told you.. if you want them all at high quality recording to BI.

They are not really wireless cameras, you have to power it somehow, so thats a wire.. use that ac power outlet to route your network over, we have people on here with 8-10 cameras running over power line network without a problem.. uses existing wiring, just need adapters.

Security Cameras are not youtubes, 1 HD Camera is going to likely take the bandwidth of more than 2 HD Youtube Streams.. constantly, non stop all night and day.. can you get 6 devices on your wifi all playing separate youtube videos in HD without issue? I highly doubt it.

Reaction score
well then its your wifi network, your going to need to wire them up as we originally told you.. if you want them all at high quality recording to BI.

They are not really wireless cameras, you have to power it somehow, so thats a wire.. use that ac power outlet to route your network over, we have people on here with 8-10 cameras running over power line network without a problem.. uses existing wiring, just need adapters.

Security Cameras are not youtubes, 1 HD Camera is going to likely take the bandwidth of more than 2 HD Youtube Streams.. constantly, non stop all night and day.. can you get 6 devices on your wifi all playing separate youtube videos in HD without issue? I highly doubt it.
Can you explain that again? You lost me with "power lines" and "adapters" I can in fact play 6 you tube videos on my computer in hd on my wifi. Lmao! Yes, I actually can do 6 hd streams at the same time. I'm running 6 different browser pages of Our Living Planet in 1080p while watching a Lil Wayne / Bruno Mars video on a seperate browser page. All in 1080p. ZERO LAG!! Any other tests you want me to do?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you explain that again? You lost me with "power lines" and "adapters" I can in fact play 6 you tube videos on my computer in hd on my wifi. Lmao! Yes, I actually can do 6 hd streams at the same time. I'm running 6 different browser pages of Our Living Planet in 1080p while watching a Lil Wayne / Bruno Mars video on a seperate browser page. All in 1080p. ZERO LAG!! Any other tests you want me to do?
Wifi is a terrible choice for security cams...db power cameras are another terrible choice - if you can still do so, return them. However, i suspect your problem is not related to wifi but rather incorrectly setting up the cams in blue iris. In the Blue Iris camera properties video>configure tab, ALL you cams should be set to camera 1. My guess is that you are setting the subsequent cameras to 2 and 3 and therefore pulling the substream instead of the main stream. A poor wifi connection would simply result in stutter, ghosting and pixelation not a lower resolution

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
6 different browser windows are not 6 different devices competing for wireless spectrum, its one device asking for more bandwidth.. thats fucking easy, whats hard is when all the devices are stepping ontop of each other and competing for wifi access.

I want you to plug it into a wired network and see if it gets any better, as per my first reply.. that last reply was not a test request, it was a simplified explanation attempting to wrap your dense brain around something you do not understand.

I gave you a link to a whole load of Power Line Networking products on amazon, im done repeating my self.. ever heard of google?

/drops the mic and walks away

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Wifi is a terrible choice for security cams...db power cameras are another terrible choice - if you can still do so, return them. However, i suspect your problem is not related to wifi but rather incorrectly setting up the cams in blue iris. In the Blue Iris camera properties video>configure tab, ALL you cams should be set to camera 1. My guess is that you are setting the subsequent cameras to 2 and 3 and therefore pulling the substream instead of the main stream. A poor wifi connection would simply result in stutter, ghosting and pixelation not a lower resolution

You sir were correct! I reinstalled Blue Iris, made sure the wifi was ready for the cameras, setup each camera basically as number 1 and they all are streaming in 1080p. Thank you for your help. As far as the network genius, he should study the books a little harder. I knew for a fact that it wasn't my network as he claimed. Once again, thank you!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He was correct, your cameras and network are terrible.. enjoy your piece of shit security setup, Ive read 9 books so far this month.. how about you? oh dont bother answering, i dont give a fuck.

fyi, my 2nd reply, the 5th post to this thread.. I told you what you had done wrong, perhaps you should work on your literacy.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
glad you got it working. for what it's worth, most of us who've deployed wireless cams eventually come to the conclusion that
wired is preferable. Lots of good experience and helpful people around here, and some even have strong opinions about stuff... :)