Multiple Locations

simonchunk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have 4 stores that I need to upgrade to be solid and stable from the cheap nvr systems that are currently installed (and failing) and I'm a bit confused.

Im looking at the 6MP Dahua cameras and the NVR that come with it, but I was thinking Blue Iris too.

My understanding is that the NVR will keep local backup on-site and the Blue Iris will all me to record all four remotely or view all four remotely.

Is that correct or am I missing something?

Your help is greatly appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have 4 stores that I need to upgrade to be solid and stable from the cheap nvr systems that are currently installed (and failing) and I'm a bit confused.

Im looking at the 6MP Dahua cameras and the NVR that come with it, but I was thinking Blue Iris too.

My understanding is that the NVR will keep local backup on-site and the Blue Iris will all me to record all four remotely or view all four remotely.

Is that correct or am I missing something?

Your help is greatly appreciated
No you are missing alot of things. The 6mp dahua cameras you are looking at are crap. Blue iris replaced the nvr, you will have a blue iris machine in each location.

simonchunk

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you recommend then?

Dedicated BI machines is easy, I can sort that. What cameras do you think would suit?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you recommend then?

Dedicated BI machines is easy, I can sort that. What cameras do you think would suit?
It depends on your needs. There are many threads that discuss cams. For great night vision see the 5442 turrets.

simonchunk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok great. I think I'm seeing the concept now. I've also found a great beginners guide by SouthernYankee.

Could I theoretically buy a single 5442 fir the main customer camera and use my existing old poe cameras with BI? Then eventually just upgrade them one by one?

Reaction score
Could I theoretically buy a single 5442 fir the main customer camera and use my existing old poe cameras with BI? Then eventually just upgrade them one by one?
That would be one way to do it.

Right now the 5442 turrets come in 3 possible fixed lenses: 2.8, 3.6 and 6mm. They are coming out with a varifocal, supposedly available in the next few weeks. If you don't mind a bullet, the 5442 bullet is a varifocal.

Read the Cliff Notes.

simonchunk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, This is what i've organised so far:

Computers: HP Elite 8300 SFF i5 3470 3.2GHz 4GB 500GB DW W7P. One for each store. I'll add more ram too.
Cameras: T5442TM-AS-LED x3, IPC-T2431T-AS x4. Bought from Andy on Aliexpress to ensure they arent the Chinese copies.
HDD: I'll install Purple WD
Software: Blue Iris for all machines
POE: This is where I'm a little stuck. I was thinking of repurposing my existing shitty NVRs by stealing the power supply units and buying this to run the setup with a switch also.
aa1.jpg

The power supply are 19v 3A. Are these worth the gamble? They are super cheap.

I think I have it all covered? Anything I missed?

Reaction score
I suppose you could do that...I have no idea what that item is. If you want to have the possibility of spending time hunting down problems, pulling the power supplies and kluging something together should allow you that.

Just how many cameras are you going to have at each location? I am partial to Netgear switches. Have had several with no issues for years. The one below I use for cameras in my garage It has four POE ports and the fifth port would go to your BI server. It's $20 off right now.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

simonchunk

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll be running 4 max at each location. The stores are small.

This unit looks to be just an injector. I have a Netgear already for one of the stores. Maybe I'll buy one of these and test the concept first and see how I go...

Thanks for your response, it's genuinely appreciated

Reaction score
Good luck simon, i see a lot of store videos that are crap and you can't see good facial id on criminals. Make sure you get one or more varifocal cameras so you can zoom it in close on the entry door and or the people making purchases. keep us posted on how things work out.