Multiple Spot Monitors

Jonny Hill

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations. I have an install coming up and looking for best ways to achieve it.

A customer of mine wants an 8 Channel NVR with 8 IP Cameras to cover their commercial premises, all simple stuff. 6 cameras will be connected to the NVR over the LAN via POE switch and the remaining 2 directly connected into the POE ports on the back of the NVR for shorter cable runs. A local monitor will be connected directly into the NVR for management, live view and playback etc.

They also want 4 other monitors around the site which will constantly display live view of a camera in that area, i.e Monitor in Area A, shows live view of Area A, monitor in Area B, shows live view of Area B etc etc. I was wondering if or how this would be possible. Would I need to host this off a dedicated PC with 4 separate video outputs and somehow connect the monitors back to the PC, or is there some other equipment that would allow me to get the video out from my NVR to 4 separate monitors each displaying a different feed?

Thanks in advance

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If you were using Blue Iris you could use Ipads/Android tablets at those locations to view the streams wirelessly (if they have wifi). Or, you could have some low power NUCs setup at those locations each with a monitor and they login to the BI server and view the feeds you want there.

Or, without having to connect to a server of any kind, you could also use the NUCs at those locations to connect directly to Camera's UI live stream. So you could bypass the NVR/Server totally for those remote viewing stations.

I don't use any of the ready made NVRs so I can't help you with that. Everything I've built custom so it has max flexibility.

Jonny Hill

n3wb
Reaction score
Understood. Thanks for the reply. Not had any exposure to Blue Iris, but dropping in a NUC at each location with the monitor and accessing the camera's UI live feed seems like the best option for me. Thanks again.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could use decoders connected to the network, but you could probably get a mini pc to do much the same job.

The only advantage with a proper decoder (depending on the nvr or vms you're using) is that it is on the system as an actual monitor and you can select which camera to display from the main control software.

Dlohse

n3wb
Reaction score
Find a camera with a video out. Get monitors with a composite input or whatever you can convert to.

Last edited: