Multiple USB cams

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. I am building a Bait car for a local agency and need to figure out the lowest power configuration that runs OK. So far I have a Mobile Video server running an ancient copy of BI (3.18?), I can upgrade the BI when I am convinced it works for me.

The system runs OK but I am having trouble accessing more than 2 USB cameras at a time. I remember hearing that windows couldn't handle more than 3 same type USB cams at a time.

Is there a way I can overcome these limits? I prefer to run 4 cams.

So far, the system is drawing about 1/2 ampere at 12 volts. I will be adding some custom made solar panels to recharge the system battery. I will also have an Isolator on the battery to recharge from the alternator.
The data will be sent via 4G modem.

Thanks for any direction on this project...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not keep power to 3 of the 4 cameras OFF until a door is opened and dome light switches on? Then keep all 4 on until maybe ignition off, placed into 'park" or a timer times out...I dunno. Only keep 1 cam on 24/7, pointed at the driver seat from dash to get a good face shot.

You could try a TOP-201 like this ; I bought 1 for a bluebird box. They are small, 12VDC, 720P and can do RTSP to Blue Iris. They are also available with IR but have no IR-cut filter.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Tony, The agency wants to be able to watch the area too. Your idea has convinced me to go with IP cams. No problem 4 at a time. I suppose I got off on the wrong foot with the USB because it seemed simpler at the time. I'll be getting a bunch of the IP board cams to try out... Thanks