"multiplexing" RTSP streams

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

First of all, sorry if this has been asked/addressed before. I've done a search in here and on the internet of what I'm after and can't seem to find anything related.

I'm wondering if there is software out there that can take multiple RTSP streams from IP video cameras and combine them into a 4x4 or 3x3 grid, and then itself provide an RTSP stream of the resultant combined video.

I use VLC to stream video from my Hikvision IP cameras. In the past I have opened multiple instances of VLC and arranged them on my second monitor. This works, but is cumbersome and clunky.

I'd love to be able to open a single RTSP stream in VLC that shows all my cameras on a grid. Has anyone come across software that does this?

Regards,

Lunokhod.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if you are using hikvision as mentioned why not simply use ivms to view..

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you are using hikvision as mentioned why not simply use ivms to view..
I haven't found a way to stream RTSP from the iVMS 4200 PCNVR software to VLC.

I can access the web admin page of the PCNVR software and get multiple cameras up on my 2nd screen in full screen mode... but the video somewhat jerky and lags a lot plus it only works on my Windows PCs. The PCNVR web interface video streaming doesn't work on any of my Linux machines.

RTSP from the cameras direct to VLC is a lot smoother and is OS agnostic... it works equally well on Windows, Linux and Android.