Must...... Have..... More.....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know what you are running contrast and brightness at, but I had what I thought was a decent night image at default and changing them around not only made the picture better, but I could knock gain and noise way down which helped take out the ghosting.

Reaction score
I don't know what you are running contrast and brightness at, but I had what I thought was a decent night image at default and changing them around not only made the picture better, but I could knock gain and noise way down which helped take out the ghosting.
Yeah--- I messed with those settings a LOT-- the video in post #1 is really as good as I could get it. I wasn't running the light by the door though...
THIS image from the other side of the garage is from a 4mp Dahua with a 1/1.8 sensor.... video is good on it-- I just should have bought a 3.6mm instead of the 2.8...
1592975120289.png

I will likely be looking for another Dahua with a 1/1.8 to swap out at the front door. I can mount that current one elsewhere...

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
This has been a useful thread; thanks! I'm facing some similar issues as I continue to tweak my system. I'm thinking of increasing lighting by my garage and forcing color mode.

Would be interested to know what you get for the front door. I've got a baldspot cam way up high but could use a better camera to capture face-on shots, but mounting locations without looking like crap is the problem for me.

Reaction score
Looking at the video, he knows the cam is there. He never looks up or towards it. He has a hoodie up. That cam is way too high and too wide a FOV to ever get a good face shot. Even when someone is close enough to get a face shot, they are not in frame long enough. Placement is the key. Always test BEFORE mounting. Multiple crisscrossing cams is always the best route.

I have 4 cams at my front door. On each side there are two mounted at 5' looking straight out and two mounted at 2' looking straight out (they will NOT get an 'up skirt' shot). These cams crisscross. Since my door and cams face south, they get problems with sun as the day progresses. But since I have two on each side, I get at least two with good images at any given time. I am about to mount a fifth one on a post that will look back at the door and down the side of the porch. This will get anyone coming down the side of the porch from the driveway and when they turn away from the door to leave.

Reaction score
Lots to look at here.....

Looking at the video, he knows the cam is there. He never looks up or towards it. He has a hoodie up.
I absolutely believe he knows the camera is there. No doubt in my mind.

That cam is way too high and too wide a FOV to ever get a good face shot. Even when someone is close enough to get a face shot, they are not in frame long enough. Placement is the key. Always test BEFORE mounting. Multiple crisscrossing cams is always the best route.
The problem is mounting solutions there, with no covered porch, or posts, only the soffit which sits 10~11 feet above the ground. I don't (really meaning-- my Wife doesn't ) want an army of cams at eye level greeting every person. -- and installing them directly on my siding/exterior walls would be a nightmare (and unsightly IMO -- see my satire cam placement pic on page 1). I have had an operating cam in that spot above the door for almost 8 years. I always just wanted an overview, and a visible cam as a deterrent. The move to clearly ID someone has outclassed my old cameras, and the physical placement to achieve a clear ID of someone in that location will remain elusive. I am struggling to find the balance between aesthetics and functionality, as well as resisting my nerdy drive to get more, More MORE...

I HAVE been thinking about this though --- the cam that WAS above the door at that location could go near the oval sign or possibly on the railing facing the steps-- one of the red circles in the steps pic... That cam is a 3mp dome with no IR lighting of its own. I COULD run it in B&W -IR mode though, with the overhead cam providing the IR light. Then maybe I could bump the shutter speed up enough to be useable. :) I think I will test this tonight on the line I pulled for the bullet...
1593015337045.png1593015841666.png

I have 4 cams at my front door. ...
LOL... Love it!! I am showing THAT to my wife!! :thumb: :cool:
It would be great if you could share pics of those installs-- if you're comfortable with that. Others would probably benefit also.

Reaction score
It would be great if you could share pics of those installs
These four are installed on the inside behind the windows at each side of the door. Having drapes behind them reduces any glare from inside. They are in Color mode 24/7, so no IR bounce back. I have three 5000K 1750 Lumen floods in recessed cans in the porch ceiling, with one above the door, so they get great light in the night.

I will be placing a cam on the back side of the post on the right facing back towards the door and picking up the porch area to the left this will cover the window on the left and anyone coming down the porch from the driveway. Further to the left will go another cam pointing across the length of the porch. This location is off the left of the photo.

DSC_4447.JPGDSC_4448.JPGDSC_4449.JPG

Reaction score
These four are installed on the inside behind the windows at each side of the door. Having drapes behind them reduces any glare from inside. They are in Color mode 24/7, so no IR bounce back. I have three 5000K 1750 Lumen floods in recessed cans in the porch ceiling, with one above the door, so they get great light in the night.
That is awesome--- beautiful porch and entryway. :thumb:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have painted mine to match the house and they are basically invisible to people now - even though they were invisible before apparently too talking to my neighbors LOL.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I will be placing a cam on the back side of the post on the right facing back towards the door and picking up the porch area to the left this will cover the window on the left and anyone coming down the porch from the driveway. Further to the left will go another cam pointing across the length of the porch. This location is off the left of the photo.

View attachment 64570View attachment 64571View attachment 64572
Do you recommend four cameras the way you have it set up? Would two cameras have been enough?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Before going to all these expensive camera changes, why not simply mount an LED light between the two windows to the right of the porch (looking out) so as infill the front lawn and porch area with light?

There's also another solution late at night although legally I don't know where you'd stand:

Simply set the trip wire across the top of the porch after a certain time at night.

Reaction score
Do you recommend four cameras the way you have it set up? Would two cameras have been enough?
For my particular situation, I like the four camera setup. Would two be enough? Maybe. Even one might be 'enough'. My specific issue is that these cams look South and depending on the time of year and time of day, the sun can cause issues. Plus I like the slightly different views I get of the walkway and street beyond. If I had to pick just one, the upper cam on the right side of the door would be my choice since that side only gets very little afternoon sun since there is a tree that blocks almost all of it. As I am retired, this has grown to be more of a hobby to me.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that alarm mine sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen...
They are deisgned for that purpose and used to protect farms and remote out buildings, gates etc. from theives and tresspassers Whether or not someone could sue for eg a heart attack if used domestically on a porch is another matter. Howver, they have been used in some of those parcel thief traps, not that it guarantees legality of course. In case it isn't clear as the word "mine" makes them sound very dramatic, all they do is discharge a shotgun blank to make a loud noise. They're not deisgned to injure.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'm liking the dahua1831c pir more and more as a door camera.. have bi set to play a wav file upon approach and led light. Kid probably wouldn't have even came up the steps.

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'm liking the dahua1831c pir more and more as a door camera.. have bi set to play a wav file upon approach and led light. Kid probably wouldn't have even came up the steps.
Can you show your install of that.... sounds interesting.... and what is the EXACT model number?
:thumb: