My brain hurts now.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right now my goal is to just be able to see (remote viewing) my whole yard and have a recording in case something does happen. I currently have 3 ICamera 1000 through xfinity home 1 outside and two inside (switching to Ring soon) so I want to replace them. (I might actually keep them for inside use as they are decent cameras) And with the addition of a pool I really want to keep an eye on it especially if I’m not home. Beyond that I haven’t given much thought.
RING....Oh hell no!

You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got this computer hopefully more than sufficient for my needs. i don’t want to update it for a long time.Dell Optiplex 5000 5060 SFF I7-8700 8GB 256GB SSD DVDRW Win10 PRO *LIKE NEW* | eBay

Going to get a WD purple 12TB drive to install in it for recorded video.

This switch NETGEAR 16-Port PoE/PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 183W PoE Budget 606449133318 | eBay

Monitor Dell 22" LED Widescreen Monitor - Black (SE2216H) 884116191551 | eBay

Next will be running some Cat6 and testing a couple cameras after installing Blue Iris.

Ring security will be installed soon. Then I can cancel xfinity (everything but internet).

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, would an Intel NUC be capable of running 4 cameras via BlueIris? I currently have a NAS but looking to switch away from it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, would an Intel NUC be capable of running 4 cameras via BlueIris? I currently have a NAS but looking to switch away from it.
Why would you want to over pay for a NUC? Look at the wiki for hardware most systems can be run on a 100 dollar pc. 4 cameras is a meaningless term, 4 720p cameras at 10fps or 4 8mp cameras at 30fps? Big difference.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why would you want to over pay for a NUC? Look at the wiki for hardware most systems can be run on a 100 dollar pc. 4 cameras is a meaningless term, 4 720p cameras at 10fps or 4 8mp cameras at 30fps? Big difference.
The lower spec NUCs can be had pretty cheaply here, but I will take a look at the Wiki thanks. Sorry, I run 2 x 2MP cams at 20fps and 2x8mp at 20fps. Biggest issue I presume would be storage. Cheers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The lower spec NUCs can be had pretty cheaply here, but I will take a look at the Wiki thanks. Sorry, I run 2 x 2MP cams at 20fps and 2x8mp at 20fps. Biggest issue I presume would be storage. Cheers.
once again, nuc are not ideal for BI. You want local storage and a more powerful cpu. Modern pc's are VERY efficient, you are not saving anything with a nuc.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
once again, nuc are not ideal for BI. You want local storage and a more powerful cpu. Modern pc's are VERY efficient, you are not saving anything with a nuc.
Fair enough, reason I asked about the NUC was because the OP linked to an $800 Dell Optiplex system and I thought that was very high priced to run BlueIris. NUCs a lot cheaper. Power usage/noise is my main concern really

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough, reason I asked about the NUC was because the OP linked to an $800 Dell Optiplex system and I thought that was very high priced to run BlueIris. NUCs a lot cheaper. Power usage/noise is my main concern really
Dont see anything about an 800 dollar pc. you can buy third gen i5 hp business systems for 100, fourth for 125, 6th for 180-200, 8th gen i5-8500 (Which are more powerful than 6th 7th i7 systems) for 400-450 (deals vary on ebay). See wiki, threads and ebay.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The pc I linked to is a lot more than is necessary and I wanted more for future proofing in case after my plans I decide I need more cameras in my system. Same with the switch. It’s more than I think I’ll need but it’s easier to buy extra now than later on.

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The pc I linked to is a lot more than is necessary and I wanted more for future proofing in case after my plans I decide I need more cameras in my system. Same with the switch. It’s more than I think I’ll need but it’s easier to buy extra now than later on.
Fair enough Todd, good luck with your build buddy ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its actually usually cheaper to buy later. For example, there were a bunch of i5-8500 hp elitedesk sff units for 404 last week. In two/three years when you decide you need more power, you could buy a much better system for 400. You have spent the same amount but now not only have two systems but a much more powerful second unit.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its actually usually cheaper to buy later. For example, there were a bunch of i5-8500 hp elitedesk sff units for 404 last week. In two/three years when you decide you need more power, you could buy a much better system for 400. You have spent the same amount but now not only have two systems but a much more powerful second unit.
Oh well. Too late now. Where were you a week ago? still learning...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh well. Too late now. Where were you a week ago? still learning...
Same thing happened to me.

You will learn quick to just follow forums. There is a lot of great advice that would take a lot of trial and error if it was not for great members posting their experiences. fenderman has a lot of experience with this and he has never gave me bad advice. He has actually saved me a lot of money that I have donated to the forums as I would've spent it anyway without his advice.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me.

You will learn quick to just follow forums. There is a lot of great advice that would take a lot of trial and error if it was not for great members posting their experiences. fenderman has a lot of experience with this and he has never gave me bad advice. He has actually saved me a lot of money that I have donated to the forums as I would've spent it anyway without his advice.
These forums have been great. I still have a buttload to learn, but they’ve helped a ton in planning out some stuff. Now, if only there was a cliff note for the cliff note.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These forums have been great. I still have a buttload to learn, but they’ve helped a ton in planning out some stuff. Now, if only there was a cliff note for the cliff note.
Agreed :) cliffnotes are amazing but I still scratch my head at some of the stuff posted when not step by step. I don't have a lot of confidence at times.

But cannot complain I need to just research more when I miss something or ask questions that are not too dumb.

I don't have VPN due to not knowing how to setup OPENVPN with windows 10 - I only see VPN with asus or OpenVPN to hide your IP on websites. I need to stick with stunnel until asus router arrives:
What are you using/doing to make your camera more secure?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed :) cliffnotes are amazing but I still scratch my head at some of the stuff posted when not step by step. I don't have a lot of confidence at times.

But cannot complain I need to just research more when I miss something or ask questions that are not too dumb.

I don't have VPN due to not knowing how to setup OPENVPN with windows 10 - I only see VPN with asus or OpenVPN to hide your IP on websites. I need to stick with stunnel until asus router arrives:
What are you using/doing to make your camera more secure?
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Computer up and running. BI installed and running. 12TB WD purple installed as NVR only drive.

Help needed.

So I have one cam (ipc-hdw5321r-ze picked up from EmpireTech on Amazon) trying to get it running so I can use it as a test dummy for locations.

Netgear Poe switch is plugged into secondary Ethernet port on pc, seems to be running fine (lights are working), however I can't find the camera anywhere. Tried using Dahua config tool, BI, even web, no luck.

Used Fing app on iPad and it’s not registering any cameras.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are the two subnets you’re using? One for your main network and one for the isolated camera network..

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the two subnets you’re using? One for your main network and one for the isolated camera network..
Honestly have no idea. I'm extremely new to all this. Currently, reading “Networking for Dummies” by Doug Lowe to learn all this terminology and stuff.