My first patch panel. Help

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So I got assigned to install a patch panel and a bunch of wall plates. into a residential apartment way up in penthouse and was given a bunch of supplies . I have no idea how I am supposed to fit a rack mount patch panel into this box? I have only ever punched down a handful of keystones in my life. Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
EC79588C-0039-46AD-A1D7-D857FCCE0E11.jpegCA928DA0-903E-4D3C-9C18-FFD08801AB75.jpeg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd go to the owner and explain that the only way to mount it is vertically and that you'll need to make custom brackets to get it into that enclosure. The answer is simply, a path panel like that is designed to be rack mounted and terminated from behind, assuming it's a punch down style. Normally, if there's no access from behind like this, it's mounted with a hinge on one side to provide enough access for punch down and maintenance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I got assigned to install a patch panel and a bunch of wall plates. into a residential apartment way up in penthouse and was given a bunch of supplies . I have no idea how I am supposed to fit a rack mount patch panel into this box? I have only ever punched down a handful of keystones in my life. Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 107303View attachment 107304
Nice patch panel .. not the typical ones I use .. just as @looney2ns noted, will need keystones with this style ..

If you want to keep it nice and clean, plan which way you want the numbers to run, and then cut the cables appropriately or stuff some of the cable up into the "attic"

DO NOT cut the cables until you have made plans for the setup .. you may need the cables to run out from the enclosure to a rack .. which would hold the patch panel

You will need significant space behind the panel for the cable bundle ..

Typically you would run the cables out to a wall mounted rack like this one:

1636050360766.png

or a cabinet like this one .. ( make certain it is deep enough )

1636050438862.png

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a box full of key stones. I like the idea of making a big service loop directly above in attic. Thanks for that. Probably end up doing what Sebastiantombs said and somehow custom mount it in there so it can be serviced too. I will confirm with the boss on this rack idea though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how much of this you've done before so if I tell you something you already know, then great!

I'd cut me a piece of good quality 3/8 to 1/2" plywood to make a backboard, slide it behind those CAT cables, bolt it in then screw those snap-in brackets to the back board. That backboard will also give you a place to dress and tie down those cables as you will likely have to do in order to fit them in NEATLY.

If the cables are already ID'd / numbered (i.e., room #, etc.), then great. If not, you'll want to do that before you start arranging, laying in and punching down.
Fluke has toners to ID cables for $900 but I have this $85 Fluke that works for me. ==>> Fluke Networks 26000900 Pro3000 Tone Generator and Probe Kit with SmartTone Technology

When it's all in, tested, dressed and the ports ID'd on the face of the blocks LEGIBLY, a nice schematic or port call-out sheet either laminated or placed inside a sheet protector and fastened to the INSIDE of the panel cover would be icing on the cake.

You'll likely have a simple vertical list with port # on the left column and to the right another column with the room # or such, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
you need to raise your price
then the owner could call a real technican, not a handyman :)
so seems no option.

better have shitty job from someone who have no idea how to install a patch panel then pay too much for the job !
Some people never learn this in their life. Cry once is not enough !

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a decent punchdown tool? Don't cheap out. ( readily available at Home Depot Menards, Lowes, etc....) You'll be a 568B punch down expert on those keystones. you don't want to repunch any if you can help it. I had an old Telco worker who double punched all his terminations. Not sure if thats necessary, but not all keystones and punchdowns are created equal.
I see a #11 and a # 12 on one bundle of the gray cable.
If they got em 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8- 9-10-11-12-13 etc....then of course try to make the patch panel the same way.
Service loops! Do what Sebastian said.
You got some job security for the next couple days. LOL of course they want it done tomorrow right? Motherfuck them.
Too bad they didnt get the preinserted jacks so you could punch right on the back of the panel. But given the fucked nature of your working space, maybe the individual keystones will give some wiggle room.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a decent punchdown tool? Don't cheap out. ( readily available at Home Depot Menards, Lowes, etc....) You'll be a 568B punch down expert on those keystones. you don't want to repunch any if you can help it. I had an old Telco worker who double punched all his terminations. Not sure if thats necessary, but not all keystones and punchdowns are created equal.
I see a #11 and a # 12 on one bundle of the gray cable.
If they got em 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8- 9-10-11-12-13 etc....then of course try to make the patch panel the same way.
Service loops! Do what Sebastian said.
You got some job security for the next couple days. LOL of course they want it done tomorrow right? Motherfuck them.
Too bad they didnt get the preinserted jacks so you could punch right on the back of the panel. But given the fucked nature of your working space, maybe the individual keystones will give some wiggle room.
double punchdowns iirc standard operating procedure for a lot of telco techs ..

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
If that bundle of cables isn't already identified, you need to raise your price :)
Yes it’s identified in bundles too certain rooms. Plus I get paid by the hour as I am employed by the company. I am a fluid power automation technician by trade, and a millwright apprentice. I Just decided to get into a different trade 5 years ago. Mostly cameras . Still learning lots about that too. Which is why I joined this site years ago.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I use these in my shallow wall cabinet. They stick out an inch from the rear of the cabinet, leaving enough space to close the door without crunching the patch cables too horribly. (at icc.com)

View attachment 107351
Will check those also. Was a-bit concerned about not being able to shut the door. I don’t get why the boss and the cable solution company he got advice and parts from, sent me a rack mount patch panel. Probably was the cheapest option knowing the boss.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This year I moved into a house with the same shape of comms box, maybe a little smaller. Lucky for me, the builders used cat5e for all the telephone wiring, so I repurposed it for ethernet. Can't ask for much more than that from a house built in ~2003.

1636073265958.png

I only had 11 network cables to deal with. It looks like you have 30-40 there. But maybe you will still like the solution I found.

1636073665364.png 1636073916160.png

It is a nice little shielded Cat6A patch panel, fully enclosed in a metal shell. 12 ports for $40. 24 ports for $65.

These fit easily in that kind of comms box and can be mounted to the inside. The mounting holes won't align with the holes in the box, but that is nothing you can't work around.

With the metal lid off, there is lots of room to work with and I found it really easy to punch the wires into it.

An alternative of course is to abandon the box they have and install a rack. You can get small wall-mount vertical racks like this and it can be used for patch panel(s) and switches or routers alike.

1636073948364.png

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, also, I used this punch-down tool.
It has served me well in wiring over a dozen keystones throughout the house, and in the patch panel itself. I do double-punch usually just to avoid future frustration due to a wire that didn't seat properly.