My Hikvision camera has stopped sending email

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZHS
Everything worked perfectly until yesterday, when I suddenly discovered that no more mail was coming (mail from movement etc.). Very much movement (videos for hours) that day and they have been saved OK, but no mail. The micro card in the camera was full, but overwrite. Tried to fix the problem, I have now formatted it, but that was not the solution.

I have checked if the mailbox was full and the like, but can't find a solution. There has been no change in the router or in the camera.

I have tried Network, Advanced "Test" which gives "Testing failed" (tried several mailaddresses).

The camera is remote, i.e. it is 300 km away, but I use VPN.

What can I do? Reset? In that case, is it sufficient to "Restore" - and - if I have export parameters, can I import these and get the setup back?
Alternatively, If more complicated, is probably "Default". What will then be user and login and can I use import parameters as mentioned?

Should I be afraid to do Restore or Default on VPN?

Hoping for a simpler solution.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind many email providers are changing their algorithm to reduce spam, so it could be that.

For example, GMAIL changed their security and the lesser apps no longer works. You need to set up two factor and create an app password for the NVR

This is for Dahua NVR, but the gmail stuff is the same and you can figure out how to relate it to your camera.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Thomas. In the camera I use smtp port 25, but is it in the router I should change or in the camera?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This port would be modified in the camera's email setting screen. Be sure to review the link I provided and confirm your other SMTP entries are consistent to what one.com expects. And the outgoing port you choose must not be blocked by your router.

- Thomas

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Thomas. I have checked with one.com and my smtp settings is OK. (They have not changed anything on the 21. September - any way).

What else can be wrong?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I've checked everything. No change in the router in recent weeks, all configuration is correct. I have also tested other email addresses (from several providers), but still "Testing failed".

The most likely cause of the problem (no mail can be sent) is that at the time this happened there was a lot of movement in front of the camera, which resulted in many long videos (about 1.5 hours). Then the camera was busy recording and saving videos on the memory card, while at the same time it should have sent e-mails with 3 pictures each. Then something has locked up.

Therefore I guess I have to use "Restore" Reset all the parameters, except the IP parameters and user information, to the default settings. If it's not enough (I hope not) I have to use "Default" Restore all parameters to default settings.

A question to the last solution; can I login with admin and default password or must I use the SADP tool? And maybe it is not recommended to do it remotely via VPN?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not solved yet.
I have done "Restore" Reset all the parameters, except the IP parameters and user information, to the default settings. But still no email.
Before I do the Default, I would like to know if I then have to aktivate the camera (as a new one) and use the SADP Tool or is it possible to access it with admin and the standard password (from the manual)?

Please! Hope for help.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
is it possible to access it with admin and the standard password (from the manual)?
No experience with a Hikvision, but I reset a Dahua POE camera a couple months ago. After the full reset I accessed it from a web browser using the default credentials and IP address. Maybe your brand is the same, or maybe not.

- Thomas

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried everything I can imagine. As I metioned in my first post, the stopping of the mailsending happened suddenly, without any changes in setup. The only unnormal was high load of videos to the memory card (from much movement in front of the camera) - for about 1-2 hours. The same time should the camera send several email, but may be, to much "work" simultaneous. If so, howto unfreeze it?

The memory card use overwrite and I have formatted it, but no change.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
send.one.com only has the encrypted smtp port open.

Most have gone away with using port 25 unencrypted mail.

If the camera can use encrypted email, change the port to 587
Otherwise, the best way to fix this is to set up a email relay server on site to receive the cam's mail on port 25 on the local network, then relay it to the encrypted email via port 587

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
send.one.com only has the encrypted smtp port open.

Most have gone away with using port 25 unencrypted mail.

If the camera can use encrypted email, change the port to 587
Otherwise, the best way to fix this is to set up a email relay server on site to receive the cam's mail on port 25 on the local network, then relay it to the encrypted email via port 587
Thanks, but howto and where can I encrypt. (Over the years I only have very poor wireless broadband and therefore never use encrypt).
I can change 25 to 587 and none to TLS, but that seems not to be enough (Failed to connect to the test server). What else to do?

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi tech _junkie. Something strang happen just now. I tried to config email with basic event and it gave me a lot of videos, and 1 - one email. (First email since sept. 21.). The configuration of email must be OK, but what stop intrusion and line crossing email?

I started the basic event about 15:00 and playback show at lot of videos until 15:00. The mail was sent 15:53. The mail seems normal with 3 pictures. Why not a mail already 15:01 and several more that hour?

May be tech_junkies solution is the best anyway. (Hope for explanation of hov to encrypt.)

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi tech _junkie. Something strang happen just now. I tried to config email with basic event and it gave me a lot of videos, and 1 - one email. (First email since sept. 21.). The configuration of email must be OK, but what stop intrusion and line crossing email?

I started the basic event about 15:00 and playback show at lot of videos until 15:00. The mail was sent 15:53. The mail seems normal with 3 pictures. Why not a mail already 15:01 and several more that hour?

May be tech_junkies solution is the best anyway. (Hope for explanation of hov to encrypt.)
the email server you are using only has their encrypted port enabled: Open Port Checker Tool - Port Tester
You will see why you can't send unencrypted email on port 22.
If the camera can communicate with the encrypted port (587) it will accept the cert from the email server and the mail sent will be received.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi tech_junkie, I have always used port 25 (not 22). Trying to use the port tester, no port seems to work. As I mentioned earlier, I on VPN to the remote camera. I have tried the cameras ip, the remote routeres ip and the ISP remote (who give me wireless broadband), but nothing work with the port tester. (All port time out).

It seems to be impossible to use the port tester via VPN. I also tried my home router and the only port working was 587.

But send.one.com find only 587 open. Therefore I must find howto encrypt. In my asus router I use Lets encrypt and can see that it is possible to export. Should I use this - and import to the camera? Enable snmp 1, 2 or 3? Howto import?