My humble setup so far....

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought I'd share some pictures of my setup so far. I have a ways to go but for now a humble little install. I have a home office so I decided to put the equipment in the closet on the closet shelf.

I installed two outlets and ran the wire to the breaker box instead of splicing into existing wire nearby. As you can see, one outlet is dedicated to a powerline ethernet adapter. I went with the TP-Link AV2000 2 Port Gigabit kit which I'm showing a ~800 Mbps connection to the companion module plugged in next to the router. I went with this approach because it'd be extremely difficult (would have to tear open into the wall severely) to run an ethernet line down the wall where the modem and router are because of how the house is designed.

There's a 1.5" diameter PCV pipe that runs up for 4 feet from the closet ceiling up to the walkable area of the scissor trusses (I have valved ceilings throughout the house) in the attic. The foam plug stops convection or heat/cool loss to/from the attic. I only have 4 cameras so far. More to come especially when I figure out what to do about the front door (and doorbell).

NVR is Blue Iris running under Windows 10 Pro o/s on Dell Optiplex 7040 with i7-6700, 12GB memory, 120GB m.2 SSD, 6TB WD purple drive and 2 ethernet controllers (POE switch & home network). POE switch is unmanaged 10 port gigibit (2 up, 8 down).

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Still working great. Still have to tweak BI to stop some of the false triggers...mostly from vehicle head lights driving past the house. On the front door issue I plan to add some front door cams soon....probably a Dahau wedge cam plus another front porch cam specifically to see packages, notes, business cards, etc left on the poor of on the door itself. Thinking about adding a "tree cam" that will be close to the street and looking back at the house and possible a LPR cam on the tree.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say 7040 take a look at if it's an i3, i5 or i7. Mine has an i7-6700 with integrated GPU. Four 2MP cams so far. I'll end up with 10 before I'm done.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
eBay has more 7040s than 5040s.

You have a dedicated GPU, correct?

How many cameras?

Total resolution?
Now your turn....

Can you tell us what kind of security camera setup you've been using? NVR/PC, manufacturer, software, number of cams, resolution, etc.

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now your turn....

Can you tell us what kind of security camera setup you've been using? NVR/PC, manufacturer, software, number of cams, resolution, etc.
None. I'm still researching and will probably be purchasing a MT this week. I need all the help before I purchase items not suited for my needs.

i5-7500 3.8GGHZ or i7-6700 3.40GHz (7040/7050) is what I'm now looking at and also looking at a MT with no OS and my choice would be Linux OS. Months ago it was a Optiplex 5040. Sighthound and Blue Iris are on the short list.

I'm looking at (4) HD turret cameras.

If Windows, OEM or Retail? 7 or 10?

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
None. I'm still researching and will probably be purchasing a MT this week. I need all the help before I purchase items not suited for my needs.

i5-7500 3.8GGHZ or i7-6700 3.40GHz (7040/7050) is what I'm now looking at and also looking at a MT with no OS and my choice would be Linux OS. Months ago it was a Optiplex 5040. Sighthound and Blue Iris are on the short list.

I'm looking at (4) HD turret cameras.

If Windows, OEM or Retail? 7 or 10?
Windows 10....Period. If you get a Dell Optiplex made within the last 3 or maybe 4 years even if it doesn't have the o/s on the current HD/SDD then likely it has "permanent" Windows 10 Pro license associated with the machine available to download for free.

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
even if it doesn't have the o/s on the current HD/SDD then likely it has "permanent" Windows 10 Pro license associated with the machine available to download for free.
Wow! I didn’t know that because it’s a Dell it has a “permanent” license associated with it. That certainly is something to consider. Thanks a bunch.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow! I didn’t know that because it’s a Dell it has a “permanent” license associated with it. That certainly is something to consider. Thanks a bunch.
Not all...only certain business class machines. HP probably has something similar for some of their business class boxes. You'll have to research to find out which ones.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not all...only certain business class machines. HP probably has something similar for some of their business class boxes. You'll have to research to find out which ones.
This is true with any windows 10 machine. Even if you take a 10 year old machine and install w10 (upgrade from 7 with digital entitlement), it will never need a key again.

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is true with any windows 10 machine. Even if you take a 10 year old machine and install w10 (upgrade from 7 with digital entitlement), it will never need a key again.

I’m not certain of the Windows offerings on eBay so I may have to resort to security software for Linux. Neither do I have a PC to create an ISO. I’ve been on Macs since 2006.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not certain of the Windows offerings on eBay so I may have to resort to security software for Linux. Neither do I have a PC to create an ISO. I’ve been on Macs since 2006.
You can create the media on any windows pc. You dont have to buy it on ebay. Surely you have a friend with a windows pc. Or you can buy a pc with windows preinstalled and create the media on that pc to perform a clean install.
There are plenty of vms available for linux.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This is how I'm configured. BI sever goes through a powerline adapter for the connection to the router.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You have 2 Ethernet ports on your tower? I was thinking tower and POE switch to router.
You can do it that way but if you want your IP cam system to be a little more secure you'll prevent anyone from having easy access to the cams by putting them on another network....less than 10 bucks for a NIC card to put in one of your unused PCIe slots.

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Sybertiger, post: 360404, member: 57415"less than 10 bucks for a NIC card to put in one of your unused PCIe slots.[/QUOTE]

I think I have a NIC card from my Redhat 5 days.