My normal CPU usage for dell 9020

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i recently picked up a dell optiplex 9020 mini-tower I7-4790, 8 gb ram,windows 10, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD.
i am running the 850 in performance mode ,Removed all other bloatware i could see!

Blue Iris is running about 37% at idle no camera recording ,Frame rate set to 10fps on all cams, all cams set to record direct to disc, i have 4 hik2032,2-hik2332, 2 foscam,

I would like to add min two more hiki cams, possibly a newer model

With all cams recording i am 80-84%.

Is this 37% normal percentage at idle?
Is 80-84% Normal with all recording?
Can I achieve lower percentage?
Can I add two more with aout any problems?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i recently picked up a dell optiplex 9020 mini-tower I7-4790, 8 gb ram,windows 10, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD.
i am running the 850 in performance mode ,Removed all other bloatware i could see!

Blue Iris is running about 37% at idle no camera recording ,Frame rate set to 10fps on all cams, all cams set to record direct to disc, i have 4 hik2032,2-hik2332, 2 foscam,

I would like to add min two more hiki cams, possibly a newer model

With all cams recording i am 80-84%.

Is this 37% normal percentage at idle?
Is 80-84% Normal with all recording?
Can I achieve lower percentage?
Can I add two more with aout any problems?
those numbers are way too high. Are you using the DEMO?
Are you using the new hardware acceleration?
Did you exclude blue iris from virus scans?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
those numbers are way too high. Are you using the DEMO?
Are you using the new hardware acceleration?
Did you exclude blue iris from virus scans?

Yes setting and testing in demo to make sure it works before switch.

Hardware acceleration not sure what you are referring too: samsung magician software for harddrive?

I will double check the virus scans

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes setting and testing in demo to make sure it works before switch.

Hardware acceleration not sure what you are referring too: samsung magician software for harddrive?

I will double check the virus scans
Demo mode uses way more cpu and hardware acceleration will not work.. There is an entire thread on hardware acceleration.. It will drop your cpu considerably when using Intel graphics

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have it up and running non Demo mode, BI 27% at idle. i still have hardware acceleration unchecked

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As you can see the demo mode does not implement direct to disk fully so you get a high cpu. Its lower with a licensed copy. You are still running high for a system with only 20mp. Did you exclude blue iris from the antivirus?
Try hardware acceleration and see what happens.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I add BI to Defender, That is the only is see on this pc, will try the HAcceleration later tonight.

Also all the camera now are running over 20fps
except for the two foscam at 10fps

Lowvoltage

n3wb
Reaction score
you exclude blue iris from the antivirus?

What do you mean by excluding blue iris from the antivirus, I just installed my new BI and new PC have 30% CPU with 55% memory on Dell optiplex 7020 I7-4 with 8gb, 12 2mp cams.
Will excluding from antivirus reduce memory usage? How do I do that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean by excluding blue iris from the antivirus, I just installed my new BI and new PC have 30% CPU with 55% memory on Dell optiplex 7020 I7-4 with 8gb, 12 2mp cams.
Will excluding from antivirus reduce memory usage? How do I do that?
Every antivirus allows you to exclude files and folders. You can exclude the blue iris program folder and any blue iris storage folders.
Also make sure you are recording direct to disk for each camera. And enable hardware acceleration (must be using intel integrated graphics).

Lowvoltage

n3wb
Reaction score
What is your cpu usage now?
it's at 18 percent which is good, but last night I check and memory was at 7gb which is 90% I rebooted the pc and all was good it was at 45%.
But today I checked and it's again by 6.5gb which is like 85%.
Is this normal?

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same computer running 10 cameras at high bit rates and high frame rates. I am using hardware acceleration.

What I have discovered is that it takes a lot of CPU power to send the images through remote desktop. When looking at the computer through remote desktop, the CPU usage is about 70%. I just walked down the hall and the CPU usage is about 35% when I use the monitor attached to the 9020. And it drops even further when I'm just running as a service.

I may not push all of the cameras nearly as hard as I am now when fully implemented, but I am in my testing phase right now.

Oh, and I am recording direct to disc.

I just checked again running only the service. Here is the result:

blue_iris_cpu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: