My old $40 LOREX System is BETTER than my New $3000 LOREX System!

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently posted a tread about a missing camera on my new 2021 $3000 LOREX Nocturnal 4K 16-Channel 4TB Wired NVR with Smart CNV IP Dome Cameras, 30FPS Recording, Listen-in Audio and Motorized Varifocal Zoom Lenses system but that issue was resolved, thank you guys for helping me troubleshoot the system. Much appreciated..

This thread is about comparing my new system to my old LOREX Vantage LHD 100 series LHD1042001 4ch HD-SDI Wired DVR 2tb HDD system that I bought off of OfferUp 5 years ago for $40. Sure, the new system has CNV, 16 channels, listen in audio, 20tb HDD max, and bla bla bla but why on earth would LOREX make my old system from 2012 capable of 300x fast forward speed and 300x fast rewind speed but make my new system only capable of 16x fast forward speed and 1x rewind speed, that rewind speed is ridiculous.

The cameras on my new system are 8mp LRNV, CNV, HDR & HEVC 4k ultra resolution cameras but at full zoom the video quality is awful, my old system cameras have much better quality video at full zoom and the system is 10 years old, yes the old ones don't zoom in as close but the new ones are useless at max zoom. I believe they all are still at factory default settings, the video quality is so bad I'm tempted to go in and start playing with buttons? That may be a really bad idea but at this point any adjustments have got to help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently posted a tread about a missing camera on my new 2021 $3000 LOREX Nocturnal 4K 16-Channel 4TB Wired NVR with Smart CNV IP Dome Cameras, 30FPS Recording, Listen-in Audio and Motorized Varifocal Zoom Lenses system but that issue was resolved, thank you guys for helping me troubleshoot the system. Much appreciated..

This thread is about comparing my new system to my old LOREX Vantage LHD 100 series LHD1042001 4ch HD-SDI Wired DVR 2tb HDD system that I bought off of OfferUp 5 years ago for $40. Sure, the new system has CNV, 16 channels, listen in audio, 20tb HDD max, and bla bla bla but why on earth would LOREX make my old system from 2012 capable of 300x fast forward speed and 300x fast rewind speed but make my new system only capable of 16x fast forward speed and 1x rewind speed, that rewind speed is ridiculous.

The cameras on my new system are 8mp LRNV, CNV, HDR & HEVC 4k ultra resolution cameras but at full zoom the video quality is awful, my old system cameras have much better quality video at full zoom and the system is 10 years old, yes the old ones don't zoom in as close but the new ones are useless at max zoom. I believe they all are still at factory default settings, the video quality is so bad I'm tempted to go in and start playing with buttons? That may be a really bad idea but at this point any adjustments have got to help.

FYI - from the manual I found searching for LOREX Vantage LHD 100 series LHD1042001 4ch HD-SDI Wired DVR 2tb HDD system

1670390083925.png

1670390123825.png
1670390145434.png

Attachments

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I already have the manuals for both systems but what I really need is advice on which settings are best for optimal camera performance. If the factory default settings are as good as it gets then LOREX gets an "F" in performance for their super duper 8mp LRNV, CNV, HDR & HEVC 4k ultra resolution cameras. The clarity is extremely poor at max zoom, day or night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Digital zoom only works in the movies and TV. You may get by with some digital zoom, but OPTICAL zoom is the better choice.

See this thread on the importance of OPTICAL zoom over DIGITAL zoom after the fact:

Lorex is a consumer brand that uses smaller sensors and cheaper components to keep the costs down. You have a 4K/8MP camera on a 1/2.8" sensor - that sensor is great for 2MP but is poor for 8MP. That is why it sucks LOL. Your old system on way less MP is probably on the same sensor size...

Chase sensor size, not MP. This is a good chart demonstrating the size sensor you should look for depending on the MP.

1670422058514.png

Your older system is analog. In some instances you can zoom after the fact and get a cleaner image than the newer IP cameras that are all digital images.

Learning lesson number 3,423 LOL - you do not want to run these cameras on auto/default settings. When the perp comes by in the middle of the night, auto settings will fail you. That is not as good as it gets.

Here is my "standard" post that many use as a start for dialing in day and night that helps get the clean captures. These are done within the camera GUI thru a web browser.

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number at night.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I already have the manuals for both systems but what I really need is advice on which settings are best for optimal camera performance. If the factory default settings are as good as it gets then LOREX gets an "F" in performance for their super duper 8mp LRNV, CNV, HDR & HEVC 4k ultra resolution cameras. The clarity is extremely poor at max zoom, day or night.
Hi @savatreatabvr

Good that you have the manuals, note at times I do not post for the original poster ( you in this case ) but for the thread in general so that others may see value also in the thread.

In general the default settings do not give optimal results, and most of the newer cameras from Lorex have smaller sensors, so if you need good low light performance I would avoid their cameras with smaller sensors ..

Originally the Nocturnal labelled cameras from Lorex did have larger sensors .. so do check the specs for the cameras themselves.

"If the factory default settings are as good as it gets then LOREX gets an "F" in performance for their super duper 8mp LRNV, CNV, HDR & HEVC 4k ultra resolution cameras. The clarity is extremely poor at max zoom, day or night."

1670429067492.png

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, ask and I shall receive! The info you guys have posted is a wealth of information, well for me anyways, lol. This is exactly what I needed, a noobs guide for better camera performance, it says what is what and which settings to start with. It's nice knowing there's still people out there who are willing to share their time and technical knowledge. This forum has helped me out tremendously in such a short period of time. Thanks again for sharing.