My test rig: rev.2

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As all noobies are advised to do, I made a test rig from a bucket, rocks, and a 2x4. Not content with the original version, I made a lot of special modifications myself.

One problem I had with v1.0 was that after moving it around a few times, rocks got between the wood and the bucket, making it lean. I wanted the 2x4 in the back of the bucket so it could be set closely against a wall to more accurately simulate final placement. Solution: Three #8 x 1.5" screws through the bucket.

2018-05-28 14.41.06 (Medium).jpg

I used lava rocks to keep the weight down but still provide ample ballast. Be sure to install the 2x4 so that the handle isn't trapped behind it.

2018-05-28 14.40.41 (Medium).jpg

I have a patio cover and some low eaves that I needed to test under. An 8ft 2x4 wouldn't fit, but I also needed to test some slightly higher positions. Solution: Make a two stage test rig!

I attached a 2nd piece of wood to the end of the first with a hinge. Eyes on the side allow a thick cable tie to keep the upper piece extended. The hinge is attached so that the top piece flips down over the bucket, improving balance. In the down position, it's about 7'4" and about 9'1" fully extended. The holes in the wood are for the pigtail, allowing me to bring the camera in at night for safe keeping without removing the base.

2018-05-28 14.40.14 (Medium).jpg
2018-05-28 14.39.44 (Medium).jpg
2018-05-28 14.40.05 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Mr_D Great ideas to improve the test rig; I'll be copying a couple of your ideas to upgrade my rig.

Reaction score
I attached a 2nd piece of wood to the end of the first with a hinge. Eyes on the side allow a thick cable tie to keep the upper piece extended.
@Mr_D with your rig could you line those eyelets up well enough to drop a bolt through them for “extended mode” ? I know zip ties are pretty cheap option, just wondering, possibly improvement for v3!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Mr_D with your rig could you line those eyelets up well enough to drop a bolt through them for “extended mode” ? I know zip ties are pretty cheap option, just wondering, possibly improvement for v3!
That was the original idea. They are close enough and can be rotated so that a bolt can pass through both. But they're far enough apart that the top piece could still flip down enough to be a problem. Maybe if I had the perfect diameter bolt and perfect alignment, it would have worked.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My version of the test rig uses two two-by-fours cut to a length of 5-6 feet and joined by a C clamp. That way I can position the camera at any height I want. Or angle it as needed.