My UPS Caught Fire Last Night

chipjumper

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow I just mounted a 2U rack mounted Eaton-Powerware UPS on a vertical rack attached to a basement floor joist. Looks like I’ll be tapcon’ing it to the concrete wall nearby. This is terrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Must be nice to have extinguisher balls. Banned in the UK. Then again doesn't surprise, this is the country where Christmas Crackers are age restricted because of the snap! God help you if you want to buy party poppers.

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What to do? Build a concrete box to contain it?

I have a setup where the power "blips" numerous times during big storms (~2-3 per year). If it was off for a few minutes I'd be fine, but repeated blips seem to cause things to hang.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What to do? Build a concrete box to contain it?

I have a setup where the power "blips" numerous times during big storms (~2-3 per year). If it was off for a few minutes I'd be fine, but repeated blips seem to cause things to hang.
As noted earlier surge protectors also catch fire... Computers catch fire, microwave and toaster ovens catch fire.... If you want to be truly safe get rid of your electric and gas service.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Must be nice to have extinguisher balls. Banned in the UK. Then again doesn't surprise, this is the country where Christmas Crackers are age restricted because of the snap! God help you if you want to buy party poppers.
Is the fuse the issue? There are a few videos of people holding these so I don't know why they feel they are dangerous?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As noted earlier surge protectors also catch fire... Computers catch fire, microwave and toaster ovens catch fire.... If you want to be truly safe get rid of your electric and gas service.
Back to the days of soup cans tethered with string, 1st rate communication lol.

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The fact that it was a 3-month-old new UPS is a major part of the problem see

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

meaning any brand new device is of suspect reliability until any manufacturing defects (not enough thermal grease / incorrectly applied thermal grease - poor solder joint or stray piece of loose solder creates a short circuit) or component defects (the PCB components the manufacturer buys in to populate the Printed Circuit Board - the batteries are also bought in from a 3rd party and assembled into a battery pack for the UPS) have had a chance to make their presence felt.

Once something is around 2 years old the chances are nothing will then go wrong for a long time - as long as you replace the UPS batteries when the monitoring system tells you to AND use good quality batteries.

It is surprising what low cost garbage brands of batteries come in most UPS manufacturers pricey battery packs - that is why they tend to use double sided tape to glue the batteries together (the supplier name is under the double sided tape on packs made up of 2 or more batteries) so you cannot normally see who is supplying batteries to the UPS manufacturer - often an unknown Chinese battery brand and if they have a website it is always the battery model the battery maker openly admits is the least durable, has the shortest service design life [stated in years] and has the lowest energy density of the entire model range.

Of course the worse batteries that come with the UPS the shorter they will last, the faster you will buy a new battery pack OR if the batteries take out the UPS - you will just end up having to buy another UPS - it is a very cynical but effective business model for selling UPS's!

You can get thermal interface pads to use instead of thermal grease - which should in theory never dry out - but you would have to investigate the ability to conduct heat of the pad versus the grease otherwise you might cause overheating (there are datasheets for all thermal interface methods that give the heat conduction values so comparisons can be made for the product design stage) - having said that I have plenty of devices around me - some are vintage electronics - and the original thermal grease is still (apparently) working just fine - again question of quality of the brand of grease as well as circuit design - if a power component is not given enough thermal headroom and big enough heatsink to be effective the device will fail early - which of course sells another device :)

Used to drive past several franchised luxury car dealerships each morning and regularly get stuck in traffic when the double deck car transporters appeared each week half blocking the roads to deliver the brand new cars to the dealerships.

What was interesting was some new cars would be absolutely stuck fast on the car transporter and could not be unloaded - more interesting still was when it was the last car to go on the transporter so it blocked absolutely everything else onto the transporter.

The problem was the drivetrain (gearbox or differential) had seized up so it was impossible for the driven wheels to turn - they had to be unceremoniously dragged off by a tow truck or by a winch depending on which way round they were pointing on the transporter.

I wonder if they were rejected by the dealership as faulty goods and then what happened to those cars?

Sent back to the factory/importer - doubt they were scrapped - they were probably fixed by the bought in sub-assemblies of gearbox or differential being swapped (most car makers do not make their own gearboxes / differentials / steering gear - it is all bought in as readymade sub-assemblies) - so were those lemon vehicles then sold as new?

Often the NOT brand new car or device is MORE reliable and safer than the untested / unknown brand new item.

It is all quite the conundrum!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the fuse the issue? There are a few videos of people holding these so I don't know why they feel they are dangerous?
It's the UK, it's gone totally snowflake. You have to be 16 to buy Christmas Crackers in many supermarkets in case your take it apart and hurt yourself with the snap! (I think the legal age is actually 12). You can't buy party poppers below 16 and as most places operate a Think 25 age regime, if you look under 25 for any product, you need to produce ID, even if you're in your 30's.

It seems they're more worried about the exploding extinguisher than you burning to death.

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I'm convinced now. I suppose what is alarming to me is I've trusted this as a piece of infrastructure rather than an cheap appliance. I wouldn't expect my breaker box to burn the house down, nor my electric meter. But a cheap microwave or toaster oven? Yeah.

I'm getting rid of the UPS. But now I'm looking at my dehumidifer sideways. Apparently those burn down houses too.......

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm convinced now. I suppose what is alarming to me is I've trusted this as a piece of infrastructure rather than an cheap appliance. I wouldn't expect my breaker box to burn the house down, nor my electric meter. But a cheap microwave or toaster oven? Yeah.

I'm getting rid of the UPS. But now I'm looking at my dehumidifer sideways. Apparently those burn down houses too.......
Let's see what happens when your PC that's not protected by a surge protector gets fried.. these things are not burning down house is right and left... Fires are extremely rare... Start googling cell phone chargers starting fires, cell phones catching fire, laptops catching fire, etc... Just unplug everything.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
..and remove the electricity supply:

Most internal house fires that aren't "user error" are the results of shorts. Modern circuit breakers detect even the smallest short and cut the electricity supply in milliseconds. I've accidentally bridged a circuit in my garage and the electricity was cut without me feeling any shock, so fast are the breakers. Whereas there's no guarantee with anything, a short could always go undetected if it's isolated by the rest of the circuit from the mains, it's very rare you hear about fires in homes fitted with modern breakers. Best way to protect your home is have your fuse box replaced with a modern circuit breaker board and if it hasn't been rewired, get it rewired. Most electrical fires are the result of wiring faults.

Most house fires overall are user error ie cigarettes and chip pans left burning whilst the drunk home owner falls asleep. Decorative candles are another common source. If you're feeling romantic, try the battery operated ones. She'll love you far longer if you don't burn her house down!

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This happened last month. This was after I pulled this out of my units. Temps were a lot higher than this and one battery bulged out enough to crack and leak gas out. It smelled of burning plastic inside my study. I had no load (nothing plugged into the unit). Youtube revealed that this was a common issue where the units would overcharge the battery as they are not "calibrated" readings.

Attachments

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This happened last month. This was after I pulled this out of my units. Temps were a lot higher than this and one battery bulged out enough to crack and leak gas out. It smelled of burning plastic inside my study. I had no load (nothing plugged into the unit). Youtube revealed that this was a common issue where the units would overcharge the battery as they are not "calibrated" readings.
What brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
APC Back UPS 1500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Back to the days of soup cans tethered with string, 1st rate communication lol.
Still works today, but the digital upgrade to solo cups are required.
Surely you're not suggesting that those evil plastic cups be used! Heaven forbid! ;)

Oh, wait. Plastic cups are OK, it's only the straws that are bad, I guess.

While it makes sense to take reasonable precautions with any electrical devices, something to realize is that people seem to be very bad at estimating the relative risks from things.

People will put enormous effort into, and worry about things that present infinitesimal risk. Yet they blow off or ignore things that really do present large dangers.

Folks need to do better at assessing the real risks in their lives so they can prioritize their efforts (and worries) in a more rational way.

Of course, the news media do a lot to skew people's perceptions. Anything that is sensational will naturally get a disproportionate amount of coverage precisely because it is exciting and sensational.

If heart disease, cancer, car wrecks, emphysema, stroke, etc., got their fair share of airtime, we'd all tune out, and the media know that. It's much more exciting to watch a plane crash or "mass shooting". So that's what's on the air even though your chances of actually being involved in one is extremely minute.

I always remember a very vocal woman here who crusaded endlessly against a refinery (that had been there for well over 100 years) because it was poisoning the air and water near her house (which she had bought, knowing full well that the refinery was right there).

She smoked like a freight train, and didn't wear her seatbelts. That always struck me.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm all for balancing risks. I simply wanted to point out that there are simple risk reduction measures you can take with a UPS. Anytime you store energy there's a risk of fire/explosion/spontaneous release.

Stuffing tinder around things that use electricity is one of those 'risk reduction' opportunities that can be done.

If I'm running a UPS in a remote spot, around nothing, and no easy of access- I'll put a smoke detector on it and possibly some flame tamping material nearby.

Anyway.. stuff fails. I did pull across one of my old UPS and check the calibration using a DMM. The resistor values had changed, resulting in a slight under charging of the battery. I was happy with that.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. It makes sense to keep gadgets that could potentially catch fire well away from highly flammable materials. Likewise, providing adequate space for proper ventilation for heat-producing devices is also a good idea.

And manufacturers have a responsibility to design their products to be safe, even in foreseeable failure scenarios, when placed in reasonable home and office environments.

Something with as much stored energy as a UPS can create a lot of heat in short order in the event of a fault or failure. So these devices need to be designed to be safe even when a reasonably possible failure happens.

It's a tough problem because stepping 12 or 24VDC up to 120VAC requires very high currents from the battery. So you can't simply fuse the battery at a low current. You need to have high current paths from the battery to the inverter drive transistors, and from them to the primary of the step-up transformer.

So when one of these high-current semiconductors fails, that high current path exists, and will allow the battery to dump high current into the fault, potentially creating a fire in the failed semiconductor or any part of the high current path.

About all you can do (as a manufacturer) is design the packaging to safely contain this potential heat and fire and isolate it from the customer's flammable surroundings.

And as a customer, we need to be aware of this potential, and do what we can to place the device in a safe place.

So what you're all suggesting is very prudent and reasonable, no doubt.

The same practices should be applied to our various battery chargets and battery operated devices as much as is reasonable.

But I'm not sure the probably of a UPS bursting into flames rises to the level where I'd feel the need to place an explosively-operated fire extinguisher above it is required for every installation.

And you're also exactly right about the crummy calibration and generally poor implementation of the battery charge circuits in most UPSs. These sealed lead acids would last for ten years or more IF the UPS makers implemented proper charge circuit design.

But then they couldn't sell you a new UPS or at least a new battery pack every three years.