My wife is trying to make me buy Reolink for Prime Day

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information (if not the tone, which IMO is a bit incongruous and aggressive given we are discussing small, relatively cheap, electronic devices).

I was not aware of the iframe issue. So far I have not seen issues with recording using direct to disk on BI, but will certainly watch for it. In terms of pricing, I also have rebadged Dahua’s at the $100 price point but have not found them to be nearly as good (especially at night) as my more expensive Starlight 2mp cameras, or more recent 4mp replacement model - no confusion just my (admittedly limited) experience so far with cameras I have personally paid for and tried. My limited experience is why I find feedback on these forums to be very helpful.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For just a occasional use tool what do you guys think of this crimp setup. Can I save some bucks on this or will I be cursing when making cables.
https://www.amazon.com/Crimping-Professional-Computer-Maintenacnce-SILIVN/dp/B07KF34HXY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=cat6+crimping+tool&psr=PDAY&qid=1563321087&s=prime-day&sr=1-4
Save some money, just get the crimpers, cable and RJ-45's a suggested by @looney2ns . Also get a cheap cable tester.

I say this because those RJ-45's may not be for solid copper, may be junk, etc. And you likely won't need the punchdown tool or the cable strippers, etc. I use a sharp folding Stanley #10-049 knife with replaceable blades, barely rotate the knife around the cable with the cable between thumb and blade, then bend the cable slightly and it'll pop the outer jacket open, avoiding cutting insulation of any of the 8 conductors inside. Practice several times with scraps....you'll get the hang of it.

stanley_10-049.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Save some money, just get the crimpers, cable and RJ-45's a suggested by @looney2ns . Also get a cheap cable tester.

I say this because those RJ-45's may not be for solid copper, may be junk, etc. And you likely won't need the punchdown tool or the cable strippers, etc. I use a sharp folding Stanley #10-049 knife with replaceable blades, barely rotate the knife around the cable between thumb and blade, then bend the cable slightly and it'll pop the outer jacket open, avoiding cutting insulation of any of the 8 conductors inside. Practice several times with scraps....you'll get the hang of it.

View attachment 44861
I do the same only I use a really sharp pocket knife also being careful not to hit the 8 conductors inside.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Shane Rose

n3wb
Reaction score
I am an IT guy also, I understand the tearing you are talking about, but I have Reolink at my site and have pulled many a video for the police and they love the quality, I have not seen the tearing you refer to. For the price I think they are decent cameras. As for the company, I can't really talk to their business practices. I also have Reolink at other customer sites, and the police love the video I have pulled for them on several occasions, even night mode. One was pitch black and the guy was about 50 feet away but you could see he was peeing on their building pretty clear. I am also using Blueiris, which I think is much better than their NVR as far as ease of use and quality, but for a good home system that gets the job done, I like Reolink.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am an IT guy also, I understand the tearing you are talking about, but I have Reolink at my site and have pulled many a video for the police and they love the quality, I have not seen the tearing you refer to. For the price I think they are decent cameras. As for the company, I can't really talk to their business practices. I also have Reolink at other customer sites, and the police love the video I have pulled for them on several occasions, even night mode. One was pitch black and the guy was about 50 feet away but you could see he was peeing on their building pretty clear. I am also using Blueiris, which I think is much better than their NVR as far as ease of use and quality, but for a good home system that gets the job done, I like Reolink.
The tearing is there and very real. As well as unexplained drops. The image quality of the reolinks is terrible as they use small sensors for high res cameras, the fact that you dont understand as someone who installs cameras for others is frightening. Reolink is for suckers, a horrible company and terrible cams. You did not capture any usable video in pitch black at 50ft, that is just a plain lie.

Shane Rose

n3wb
Reaction score
Well calling me a liar is uncalled for, it happened and it is real. I feel sorry for you that you are such a hater. The cameras are working fine for me. The police used the video and found the culprit, thats proof enough for me. I am not denying that there are better cameras out there, much better ones, but these work fine.

Reactions: G B

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well calling me a liar is uncalled for, it happened and it is real. I feel sorry for you that you are such a hater. The cameras are working fine for me. The police used the video and found the culprit, thats proof enough for me. I am not denying that there are better cameras out there, much better ones, but these work fine.
Lets be clear, it is impossible for the reolink cameras to identify anyone at 50f in the dark. You should not be installing cameras for anyone.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had reolink for years when I didn't know any better. I switched to Dahua. It is night and day and much better. If you are going to to be serious about security get a better camera and it will pay for itself.