N00b needs assistance with design.

demianph

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a background in electronics and IT.
I am working on planing a POE IP cam setup for my home. Exterior and interior.

I have a security system (ELK M1 GOLD) monitored with basic door/window/glass break sensors.

I plan to set the cameras up with Blue Iris and have the machine running it in a locked rack in the basement. System and cameras will be on a UPS of decent capacity.

I am completely new to camera security so could use some pointers or links to help with camera selection/layout.

From what I have gathered so far I should probably look at hikvision, dahua and axis (if I like spending money) cameras but I am not sure what kind of camera I need where.

I can up some pictures of the outside and a layout of the interior but it will take me a couple of days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track...Hikvision or dahua...I myself prefer the hikvisions for their wider field of view in 2mp mode and availability of firmware, among other things..ive installed both and you cannot go wrong with either....I would not spend the extra money on axis...save it and replace your cameras with the latest and greatest in three years from now..The hikvision turrets (2332/3332) are a great camera because they can be mounted anywhere and have no issues with ir reflection like domes may have...They do not offer audio, sd card, or alarm/in-out....they are available in 2.8mm wide angle lenses as well as the standard 4mm(or higher)...What are you looking for in a camera, what areas are you trying to cover?

demianph

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a quick overview of my external areas.
Distance from curb to garage is 33' (living space of house is about ~40' back)
Distance from the back treeline to living space of the house is 52' (distance to sunroom is ~38')

Front of the house from curb:

Front of the hose from across the street (show tree):

Back of house from treeline:

One side of house:

Other side of house.

Given the house is a bit higher off the street level are there any complications for the front side?

What about the tree in the front yard?

How does the sun-room affect my placement in the rear?

I'm thinking I should put a cam in the Sunroom facing the exterior door as well as whatever I do for outside coverage.

Attachments

demianph

n3wb
Reaction score
Besides camera selection. It's always a prudent thing to also check and see if there are any specific privacy laws in your area. That may include cctv/ip cameras. Prior to permanently mounting any cameras. More here:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1463-Addressing-Privacy-Concerns-of-Neighbors&p=13299&viewfull=1#post13299

I say this to avoid any headaches as well as better knowing what lens you may wish to use for specific cameras, prior to ordering them without having done checks like this, ahead of time. Which might cause you to mount the camera(s) elsewhere. Depending if you find any laws.

Don
Law here says I can have cameras with no notice as long as they do not record audio. If I record audio I have to have at a minimum a "Smile you are on camera" sign visible.

I can't point a camera inside a neighbors house (I don't want to) but if I catch part of a yard or something outside of any house there is no problem.

demianph

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track...Hikvision or dahua...I myself prefer the hikvisions for their wider field of view in 2mp mode and availability of firmware, among other things..ive installed both and you cannot go wrong with either....I would not spend the extra money on axis...save it and replace your cameras with the latest and greatest in three years from now..The hikvision turrets (2332/3332) are a great camera because they can be mounted anywhere and have no issues with ir reflection like domes may have...They do not offer audio, sd card, or alarm/in-out....they are available in 2.8mm wide angle lenses as well as the standard 4mm(or higher)...What are you looking for in a camera, what areas are you trying to cover?

It looks like I need to have 4mm cameras for interior and short distance areas, 8mm for hitting down to the street from the front of my house and 6 mm cameras for the sides unless I am understanding things wrong.

I would appreciate advice on placement based on the photos I posted. From what I read/see on the net it looks like I want to have the cameras (where possible) chasing each other so they capture anyone coming near them.

This is to catch people faces if they try to break in.

demianph

n3wb
Reaction score
It occurs to me I don't need the cams on the front of the house to hit the street. Maybe 1 additional needs to be for that if I want to catch a car that parks out front.
Pattern of robbery in my area is in the early afternoon smash and grab.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not do 8mm because you will not get your front yard or driveway....there is no point just getting the cars driving by...