Nanny Camera

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I got all my external cameras with Dahua and BI as NVR
soon we will have a nanny over for our newborn, and I would like to view and hear what happen in the house.

Can you recommend something that is not too expensive, discreet and good IQ ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you consider the Dahua-built Amcrest IP2M-841W-V3 . It's an indoor cam.

The version 3 provides AI/auto tracking of moving objects. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, IR, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $50 !

I've installed 4 of the similar non-V3 versions and 3 of it's lower-res (720p) cousins in the last 3 years and all have functioned with no hiccups.

I have also set one up with Tinycam Pro on a Sony smart TV (Android).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't find this model outside the US, Is there another name for it in Europe/APAC ?

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Backup I would say is a carefully placed wyze cam with the rtsp option installed.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that. and sorry for coming back that late.
Now I need to make a purchsae

for me, Dahua A35 and Amcrest cost about the same including shipping and everything.
from this two, which one will be better ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that. and sorry for coming back that late.
Now I need to make a purchsae

for me, Dahua A35 and Amcrest cost about the same including shipping and everything.
from this two, which one will be better ?
I can only attest to the Amcrest; it's 2MP/1080p whereas the Dahua is 3MP/2048p so when the light is good, the Dahua will have better resolution. However, the Amcrest may perform in color with less light, the Dahua may switch on it's IR "sooner" to see, both have IR for low or no lighting.
Most reviews give the Amcrest the edge, from what I read.
The Amcrest has an alarm in/out, that may not matter to you.
Lastly, I can say the Amcrest comes with a wall/ceiling mount bracket, I can't say regarding the Dahua.
Either way, they're both good cameras

Reaction score
I happen to have both a recent Amcrest PTZ (IP2M-841B, 2MP) & @EMPIRETECANDY Dahua (DH-IPC-K35A, 3MP). If it would help I can setup a quick side-by-side after work if you really need to see the difference between them. I just need to know whether indoor low-light, indoor moderate lighting, indoor bright lighting or outdoor lighting is the most important to you and I can post some snapshots.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI:

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I happen to have both a recent Amcrest PTZ (IP2M-841B, 2MP) & @EMPIRETECANDY Dahua (DH-IPC-K35A, 3MP). If it would help I can setup a quick side-by-side after work if you really need to see the difference between them. I just need to know whether indoor low-light, indoor moderate lighting, indoor bright lighting or outdoor lighting is the most important to you and I can post some snapshots.
Thats super cool of you. Thanks.

Its a day nanny cam so should be daylight mainly.
From your perspective, which one is your favorable ?

dgonzalezO4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have (2) Ranger 2 IMOU cameras that connect to my Dahua NVR. The cameras are PTZ, have a speaker and mic, IR’s and the image is very nice. I just order today, the IMOU cou 2, which I am gonna install in my work van (via wifi) Incase someone ever thinks about getting inside.

Reaction score
Yeah forgot about this last night. But here's a simple shot with two 40 watt can lights directly overhead. The Amcrest PTX is sharper, it also looks better in total darkness and has the benefit of double-clicking on the image controls the PTZ to recenter and zoom which might be kind of nice (depending on your use case).

Sorry these aren't daytime, didn't get to it before the sun went down, but you can definitely see the Monopoly board is softer in the K35A image.
PTZ.20200714_232814757.jpgC1.20200714_232817468.jpg

The Dahua might have an advantage in very strong natural light. But in darkness, with only a little IR provided by one camera (the Amcrest at 10%) the Amcrest remains clearer, but both fare pretty well here with no motion (likely any difference is simply the 2MP vs 3MP sensor).
PTZ.20200714_233405210.jpgC1.20200714_233407204.jpg

This room has no lights on, the cameras are picking up the glow from a single 17" monitor bouncing off the walls to create those shadow profiles. I cannot see the Monopoly box at all.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, Obiously Amcrest :)

Now, Which one...
IP2M - 80$
IP3M - Should I consider ?
IP4M - 100$

The IP4M isn't too much for in house ?

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not, this is why I pay 30$ for shipping worldwide.
so 50$ IP2M > 80$
and 70$ IP4M > 100$

:)
I just not sure I need 4M ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not, this is why I pay 30$ for shipping worldwide.
I just not sure I need 4M ?
IMO, the 2MP/IP2M in the images posted by @crw030 look the best. I think the 2MP will perform better in the lighting that your home interior will most likely provide.
That's just my 2 cents.
If you're wanting lots of detail, like being able to clearly see what someone is doing up close, then you'll need more light that what he had in his sample images.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMO, the 2MP/IP2M in the images posted by @crw030 look the best. I think the 2MP will perform better in the lighting that your home interior will most likely provide.
That's just my 2 cents.
If you're wanting lots of detail, like being able to clearly see what someone is doing up close, then you'll need more light that what he had in his sample images.
Why would 2MP perform better in indoor light condition ? If I may ask.

IP4M:
  • 120 degree view
  • Dual band
  • 4Mp
  • 1.08Lux Minimum
  • 20$ More

IP2M:
  • 90 degree view
  • 2.4ghz only
= 2Mp
  • Auto Tracking
  • 0Lux BW
  • 0.225Lux min color
  • 20$ Less

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@crw030 Bro, the amcrest wifi one also no ip address, can work with BI or not?? I am checking some cheap wifi cams from dahua, but sucked they don't support BI. No ip address