Narrow side of house Bobbie cam or 5442?

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, you all have been a great help to me in my other thread. I went to the site today to get some measurements on the sides of the house to see if 5442 are still ideal, since it’s so small.

Once again thank you in advance.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, you all have been a great help to me in my other thread. I went to the site today to get some measurements on the sides of the house to see if 5442 are still ideal, since it’s so small.

Once again thank you in advance.
Nice project ..

Plan to get the cabling and positions right .. now is a great time to test for possible placements...

Personally I would go with the 5442 models with a narrower FOV ..

also if you have a door on the side there, but a mini-dome wedge camera about at face level ..

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d go for 5442s all day long over the boobie cam myself. They are just a better all around cams.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I reckon you could get away with a 6mm 5442, that's what I have for my narrow side. In the image attached the width of the side is about 1.8m and from the camera position to the fence at the end it's about 15m. I have a lot of my brick wall and neighbours' trees in the field of view. In your case you wouldn't have as much of your neighbour's side in view. I'm thankful that my neighbours have tall trees blocking direct view into their back yards, otherwise I'd have to consider software masking (or a more zoomed in shot).Narrow side (from Alfresco) 2023-05-18 10.12.23.129.jpg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
5442 varifocal all day long.

In my experience the 5442 is far superior to the wedge. The wedge/boobie have their places, and this is not it.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, I will get a reply to your PM later today. These will help.

I know it won't be current, but can you PM a Google/Bing sat map screenshot or add it to your other post?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I reckon you could get away with a 6mm 5442, that's what I have for my narrow side. In the image attached the width of the side is about 1.8m and from the camera position to the fence at the end it's about 15m. I have a lot of my brick wall and neighbours' trees in the field of view. In your case you wouldn't have as much of your neighbour's side in view. I'm thankful that my neighbours have tall trees blocking direct view into their back yards, otherwise I'd have to consider software masking (or a more zoomed in shot).View attachment 163360
Consider rotating the lens 90 degrees, and rotating the image in the cam settings. This would give you 56° of vertical FOV instead of the current 31°

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Consider rotating the lens 90 degrees, and rotating the image in the cam settings. This would give you 56° of vertical FOV instead of the current 31°
Thanks for the tip, don't know why I didn't do it earlier. From camera to rear fence is 17.5 m. Width is 1.8 m. I reckon this fixed 6 mm 5442 lens is about right for the job.

Narrow side (from Alfresco) 2023-05-20 12.19.04.987.jpg

Attachments

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is where I am planning on putting the two cameras

First one looking forward to seethe gate that will be there and door into the garage

second either on the side or on that little in cut to the right looking to the back.

Thoughts and suggestions…

IMG_1995.jpegIMG_1996.jpeg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I would almost install them both where you have circled. One facing forward and the other to the rear.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would they sit on top of each other or a little off set?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you going wall or soffit? I would just put them next to each other with a little space in between.

1684604218587.png

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Would they sit on top of each other or a little off set?
Depends on your plan for coverage. If they are mounted in the same general area, aimed across each other, you'll have a certain amount of area immediately below that might not be on either cam. Consider mounting the first one, and framing the desired coverage. Then plug in the 2nd cam on a temp mount to find the ideal distance between them that provides views that best meet your goals.

When mounting the cams in close proximity, aimed across each other. I am wondering what is the best way to mitigate the interference the IR will cause each other.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While you're are frame-up stage, run your cables to all locations where you think you could put cameras ie. all corners. So, each corner area would have two cables (two potential cameras) and some would say add an extra for the 'just in case' scenario. Cable is cheap and if you can do it yourself there wouldn't be any labour cost. It doesn't mean you have to put cameras in all those locations, but it's nice knowing that it wouldn't be a major job to do so. Also, you may want to think about future LPR requirements, again, run a cable(s) to a lower location(s), which later could become an external data point(s) for cameras that maybe installed in a letterbox or camouflaged location at the front of your property. Before any concrete goes down, lay some conduit with draw string, should you want to pull cables and wires months, years down the track. I mention all this is because that is what I did for my house build, and it certainly made things easier.

Did I mention that cable is cheap.