Narrowing down on the best PTZ dome camera for my application.

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I agree, the problem is the new models i'm looking at are somewhat lacking in available information being so new. I've seen footage for most of them however thanks to youtube and this forum and read some great articles on networkcameracritic.

I've been stuck on the 2 models fenderman put me onto (DS-2DE4A220IW-DE & DS-2DE4A320IW-DE). Initially only grey market options were available but now they're finally making it here to the states. I was able to get my company an account with LTS & KOA so that's good news. I was shocked to see the price differences. For example I found a legitimate/authorized consumer site that offered me a price far lower than my wholesale pricing! I explained to them how the slow arrival of products to our market is helping to fuel the grey market but one of my suppliers was more interested in knowing who they are to get them disqualified to protect his prices rather than fighting for the consumer. I won't say who but for example the DS-2DE4A320IW-DE can be had for $530 (Greymarket), one distributor quoted $793, another $666 and a consumer site $616! I wouldn't expect anyone to beat a greymarket price but I didn't appreciate that the prices were this inconsistent. Most didn't even have it because it takes awhile before it reaches the US market and this seems to be the case for all new products. Why hikvision chooses to publish it in their catalog for US customers when we can't have it is beyond me.

The question i've had to ask myself is am I willing to sacrifice some IR distance and intelligence features just to avoid a turret style and the answer frankly is yes. I don't like that the dome isn't tinted so technically you can still see where the camera is pointing but it's a lot harder especially at night and I really like that. Of course for the same price I can have a Dahua with 100 to 150m IR range and the works for IVS but on my small city block with bright street lights I don't think it's necessary. I could be wrong but I'm willing to take a chance.

Another issue is that the spec sheets for those 2 models have conflicting information. On the catalog it lists H.265+ yet both only support H.265. They are supposed to be the same model except one with 3mp instead of 2 yet it looks like the 3 doesn't have the same IVS features..

I feel like it would be worth it for the 2MP price wise but I haven't been able to determine how much a difference that extra megapixel would make. Is it worth an extra $100?

If I end up being salty I'll probably give a greymarket Dahua SD59225U-HNI a shot as it seems to be the best in the category price and feature wise. I don't think it's a new model as I was trying to stick to new releases but I don't think I saw anything comparable offered on their site now that runs with this. I'm glad I didn't go with the LTS, I hear their parts a lesser quality and that's why they charge less. I know Hikvision uses APTINA CMOS Sensor + AMBARELLA DSP so that helps me sleep at night.