Narrowing Down Options

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Posted this several months ago while waiting for my home to be built, and had pretty much settled on Hiks..

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/665-Advice-Assistance-on-placement-of-cameras-for-floor-plan

However, as Hiks are becoming more difficult to come by, and things have become much more confusing, I've also been looking at Dahua as an alternative. Right now I've located someone off of Ebay from whom I can get:

7 Hikvision Turrets "3332" version for 6mm, 4mm and 2.8mm
1 Hikvision 2532F-IWS minidome, 2.8mm version
1 Hikvision NVR 7616NI-E2/8P

The above setup would run me about USD$1,150. The store responded that Hikvision has "suspended the 2332 turret and replaced it with 3332", as I was originally looking at the 2332 version though there seems to be no difference.

The alternative is the following off of AliExpress:

1 2.8mm IPC-HDBW4421R-AS 2.8mm (front door)
7 IPC-HDW4421C (2 in 6mm, 3 in 2.8mm, 2 in 3.6mm)
1 Dahua NVR 2416 (preferably a version with POE)

Would be maybe $100 less.

Price obviously isn't a factor here. What I'm concerned about is:

1. Ability to mount these to locations on brick/stone walls (3 of them will likely need a bracket/junction box which seems to be difficult to find?)
2. Ease of installation as I'm relatively brand new. Keep hearing there may be issues with the 3332 turret and compatibility with some NVRs, making things a bit more confusing is whether I would need the 7616N or 7616NI NVR?
3. Decent night time quality as both seem to have very good daylight PQ.
4. Relatively easy to navigate NVR software
5. Lastly, is there any advantage other than ease of installation to go with a non-POE NVR with a POE switch vs a POE capable NVR as the Dahua POE version seems considerably more expensive and more difficult to locate?

Any thoughts?

Thx!

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's not true, 3332 is a Chinese only model. The 2332 is the multi region version, but the camera is identical.

RCGA

n3wb
Reaction score
I went with Dahua. I couldn't find a reliable source in China for Hilks (I'm in Canada, so buying from the US is not worth it).

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

What did you end up buying?

MichoRizo

n3wb
Reaction score
where can i get hardware from? I'm in US. Looking at Dahua 7408 (without PoE as I already have PoE switch). I haven't decided on cameras yet but they must run on a single cat5e.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is what I'm now thinking:

8 - Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS ($135 a piece)
Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2 8P ($315 or so)

Can someone confirm the dome above is a 3 axis mount option?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it's 3-axis mount.

For the money, this is as good as you are going to get. Also check out DS-2CD2342WD-I which is turret and also available on Ali and is also 3-axis. Compare the video to DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. I personally find the turrets easier to install but the domes better looking. The night vision for the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS in those videos is so good that with that much ambient light I'd run in day (colour) mode at night too.

Make sure the NVR has firmware v3.3.4 from the seller to save any faffing about later.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Outside of the build quality (plastic vs metal base), is the difference in night vision between the 0.07 and 0.01 lux cameras worth it? Seems in those videos you really can't make out facial features (in one video it looks like there is some ambient light as well). So why pay more for what may be more detail? Just curious what I'm missing here.

E.g., is it that much better than say this camera?

http://www.exactcctv.com/collections/dahua/products/dahua-dh-ipc-hdw4300s-3mp-ir-fixed-focal-dome-network-camera

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the Dahuas are better at night but others say Hikvision... so the difference can't be huge can it?

You can't compare lux vs lux of different brands. Also as any amateur photographer knows, the lens and how much light that lets in makes a huge difference to low-light image quality.

Make sure the videos are at 1080p or 1440p but you are right that with IR on, detail further away is difficult to see. That's why I prefer having less of a wide angle camera.

From playing with my new cameras I'd say WDR ones are better in day-mode (colour) at night and night-mode at night, mainly less noisy image. If I was on a budget and wanted night-vision though I'd get 2100 or 4300 Dahua. In fact I still use a 2100 to cover my shed which is pitch black. A WDR camera here wouldn't be better in anyway here. That gives me an idea for when I put some up for comparison!

Edit: Not got HDW4421 yet, so don't know how they compare to 2100 or 4300.