NAS (NFS) configuration problem

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still playing with the different features of my DS-2CD2732F-I(S) (thanks @milkisbad). I'm very happy with it. But I'm hitting a problem now that I want to configure the NAS to record the video when there's some motion. So, I created a nfs server on linux. I can mount it from other computer, but when I'm trying to use it in the camera, it's like it just does not see it. I just provided with the server IP address and the file path (same one that I use on other computer to mount the remote storage), but no luck.

Any advice or ideas?

Thank you,

Vin

Last edited by a moderator:

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm just going to continue that post here, since it does not seem to be related exactly to the problem in the above mention thread.

Hi,

I set up my nfs server (linux) with the following options /video * (rw,insecure,no_root_squash) and can connect to it either with my linux machine or my mac. When I configure the the camera and reboot it, it seems it does not recognize it as when I go in the storage tab, it is not there... I did a tcpdump on the nfs server, I see that the camera tries to connect to it (rpcbind sunrpc request on port 111 using tcp) but then it does not continue through and retries every ~30 secs. On my other machines, I can connect and create directories and files without any problem. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thank you,

Vin

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, after more than an hour letting it be, now I can see it as uninitialized in the storage tab...
Formatting is very long, but I can see files being created. Then it stop, in the middle, I restart the formatting, it restart at 57%.

Does anyone can explain why it's creating all those folders and files? Tons of hiv00178.mp4 files.

Do we have a way to ssh in that camera?

Thanks,

Vin

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
state "Normal" for a few minutes, and then went back to "uninitialized"...... Trying again....

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Vin which NAS are you using? I'm going to buy one to play with after the I get my paycheck...thinking of Synology.

If you aren't recording to that camera yet, definitely get a SD card so that it'll at least start recording, I believe its can take up to a 64 GB Class 10 card, should last 3-5 days on motion if you set the fps to 10-12 and minimize false triggers like road and trees.

Hikvision's PC NVR software also records on Motion pretty well.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you can do local recording on that dome. 64 gb sdxc works. Just tested it today.

Synology with surveillance station is the easiest surveillance setup I've come across.

Unfortunately I can't help with unix linux etc.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@milkisbad:

Hi, I'm already recording (not on motion) with the camera, using openRTSP.

I'm also taking picture on motion and putting them on my tfp server. All that is working fine.

What I'm trying to do now is to record the video on motion. It's a feature of the camera that does not (or should not) have to use a specific software. I set up an nfs server that I can reach from other machines. The camera start "formatting", and did finish once, was in normal state for about 1 min and then went back to uninitialized state. I'm running firmware 5.1.2. Any newer one I can get somewhere?

Thank you,

Vin

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@icerabbit:

Thanks, but I'm not sure it's what I want/need. I don't want to look at it (hopefully never) unless something happen, and in this case, looking at 4 cameras through ffmpeg is not a problem. I understand for a surveillance system the need of such software, but for me, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Vin

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand. Everybody's needs and desires differ. I was just seconding the idea that local on camera storage seems viable for short term storage till you get things sorted out and the syno comment was for milkisbad :)

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, everything is working great now. It looks like the camera cannot really manage big size disk (1TB). I tried with 200G and no problem. I'll probably do a few test and see if it can support 500G without problems.

Thanks,

Vin

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No worries Milkisbad. I love the camera, but since I'm a software engineer, I'm just trying everything I can with different software. Now that I have absolutely everything working (no internal Smart card to lower the price, automatic motion recording directly in the cloud, so no nvr). I can get to step 2 of my big project. It's going to take me some time, but i'm going to develop a website :), stay tune! I'm going also to generate nfs that are already initialized, just because the initialization is very slow. The directory structure seems very strange to me too, and the way they are recording it. I'll try to have a look at it. If anyone knows how to ssh into the cam, it would be great :). At one point, I'll probably need help so that I can support different cameras, we'll see.

Thanks

Vin

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see, basically, they prebuild 256MB file (.mp4) and file out the disk with 186 of them per datadir folder. Then they use it to record. I don't know why they would do that instead of just creating a new mp4 file every single time there's a motion with the time stamp in the name. There would be basically no initialization, and they would not run in that problem ....

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By the way. The above you describe is exactly what Hikvision iVMS pcnvr software did on my video storage drive. Pre-allocating about a 1TB worth per folder, in 256MB chunks of sequentially numbered MP4s till it filled up 2TB, close to 8000 of them iirc. If you look at the drive, thinking you'll bypass the cpu load from the ivms playback viewer and just look at the most recent clips through the network, nope.

It might be same on the optional camera sdxc card, but I'd have to pull it from the camera to read it outside of the camera web interface.

Anyway. I was scratching my head too, why they'd do it that way. I might understand the need for something with regards to long prerecord maybe. But in my case with 0 pre-record, I see the hard drive activity pick up right when it detects. So it could just start a new mp4 sequentially with the creation stamp.