Nas Vs. PC for NVR

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into adding POE cameras to my home. I currently have zero cameras and therefore am able to buy / build what is suggested etc...

MY question is should I build a PC dedicated to handling the cameras, buy an NVR, or can I use my QNAP TS-469L to record the video. I am looking to put 4-8 cameras up, one for each corner of the house and then maybe a door and garage cam.

The NAS has 4, 4TB drives, RAID 5 setup.

If I were to build a PC would be interested in a quiet low power system.

This forum is incredibly helpful for noobs like myself and thanks for any and all advice.

QNAP
CPUIntel® Atom™ 2.13 GHz Dual-core Processor
DRAM1GB RAM (Expandable RAM, up to 3GB)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a QNAP TS-412 running Surveillance Station 5.0.2
This is a low-end model with a non-expandable 256MB RAM and a 1.2GHz single-core processor.
With 3 x 720p cameras recording is OK, but the system starts memory-swapping and grinds to a halt when going anywhere near the Surveillance Station management interfaces, for playback or live view.
Also - the SS ONVIF implementation still needs some refinement.

As I'm in the process of swapping out my collection of 720p cameras for 3MP Hikvisions, and knowing the QNAP box just would not cope even if I did purchase the extra camera licences, I bought a Hikvision DS-7816N-E2/8P NVR.
This is a very good and functional piece of kit that I'm very happy with so far.
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1584-DS7816N-E2-8P-NVR-first-impressions

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem with NAS devices, even high end one is they have weak processors, at best Atom proecssors so as you grow, they may have trouble keeping it up. Getting a PC with software makes the most sense and may even be cheaper as a decent NAS with at least an Atom processor can cost as much or more than an i5 or i7 PC and the software licenses on the NAS at $50/camera are comparable to commercial grade solutions like Milestone XProtect and Exacq Start. If you stick with all one brand of cameras, there's usually free software solutions. I'm running 10 cameras right now on an Intel NUC i5 with room for growth using Milestone XProtect.