Natural Gas Generators

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a way to get an NG gas to run on both propane and NG, then you could get a giant tank in your yard in addition to the piped in gas. That would be a game changer!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a way to get an NG gas to run on both propane and NG, then you could get a giant tank in your yard in addition to the piped in gas. That would be a game changer!
No, that would require a new a regulator and orifice that can switch between low flow / high flow while also increasing in diameter. NG is larger in size to allow lower pressure whereas propane is smaller in diameter to allow higher pressure. If someone ever makes such a regulator that could toggle from one to the other without physically changing out the existing hardware.

The skies would probably open up and begin raining bitcoin . . .

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Check there may be a kit already made for your generator to run tri fuel.
I think they run a lbs to inches regulator to reduce the pressure so the same demand regulator works? My guess?

Reaction score
I have a question and I am totally ignorant about gas pressure and sizing of pipe.

Our home is plumbed for gas. When built it was designed to serve a stove top, fire place, water heater and furnace. We added a gas dryer by teeing off the line to the furnace which was about 5 years ago and have had no issues - it was professionally installed

We also have a line that is capped where it exits an exterior wall to our patio. Presumably it was installed for a NG BBQ.

Here is my question: in order to add capacity, do we just have a larger meter installed and use the same size pipe?

I'd be curious to know what the draw for our gas dryer is compared to a NG generator.

Last edited:

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a question and I am totally ignorant about gas pressure and sizing of pipe.

Our home is plumbed for gas. When built it was designed to serve a stove top, fire place, water heater and furnace. We added a gas dryer by teeing off the line to the furnace which was about 5 years ago and have had no issues - it was professionally installed

We also have a line that is capped where it exits an exterior wall to our patio. Presumably it was installed for a NG BBQ.

Here is my question: in order to add capacity, do we just have a larger meter installed and use the same size pipe?

I'd be curious to know what the draw for our gas dryer is compared to a NG generator.
Residential homes, where I live, are plumbed for natural gas delivery to the house at either a pressure of 7 to 10 inches water column, or 2 psi. If your house if plumbed for 2 psi you can locate your generator a little farther away from you gas meter, assuming the pipe is large enough (a secondary regulator is need to drop the pressure to 7"wc for the generator). If your house is plumbed for 7 to 10 inches water column, you are going to have to locate it closer to meter.

You would have to know the nat gas pressure requirement for a given generator. Then you would use published tables that show what size gas pipe for the length of run between your gas meter and your generator is needed. Longer the run = larger the pipe.

A larger meter will not increase the pressure. It will increase the cfm delivery to the house. I can just about assure you that any nat gas generator needs to be pretty close to the gas meter to get the necessary pressure and volume to run it. The farther the pipe run and the smaller the pipe, the more the resistance .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Residential homes, where I live, are plumbed for natural gas delivery to the house at either a pressure of 7 to 10 inches water column, or 2 psi. If your house if plumbed for 2 psi you can locate your generator a little farther away from you gas meter, assuming the pipe is large enough (a secondary regulator is need to drop the pressure to 7"wc for the generator). If your house is plumbed for 7 to 10 inches water column, you are going to have to locate it closer to meter.

You would have to know the nat gas pressure requirement for a given generator. Then you would use published tables that show what size gas pipe for the length of run between your gas meter and your generator is needed. Longer the run = larger the pipe.

A larger meter will not increase the pressure. It will increase the cfm delivery to the house. I can just about assure you that any nat gas generator needs to be pretty close to the gas meter to get the necessary pressure and volume to run it. The farther the pipe run and the smaller the pipe, the more the resistance .
Thanks

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just finished the site survey and signed everything. total cost $22.5K for a 27kw liquid cooled Generac, an extra 85ft of electrical above the 20ft they "give you". All permits, and a gas meter upgrade

They will be pouring a 6 inch thick concrete pad, and the generator will be bolted to it. Pretty excited! 18 to 25 week lead time though

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just finished the site survey and signed everything. total cost $22.5K for a 27kw liquid cooled Generac, an extra 85ft of electrical above the 20ft they "give you". All permits, and a gas meter upgrade

They will be pouring a 6 inch thick concrete pad, and the generator will be bolted to it. Pretty excited! 18 to 25 week lead time though
Make sure there is a gas Flexible Hose Connector between the hard gas line and the generator to avoid vibration to the hard gas line. Also don't forget the drip leg trap near the generator.

Reaction score
Someone up here in my subdivision was asked on FB about their set up of Tesla Powerwall and solar panels. It sounds quite nice except for the price. Rough estimate for my place is $55k. But I just went on the website to see what it would take, not realistically considering it.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Someone up here in my subdivision was asked on FB about their set up of Tesla Powerwall and solar panels. It sounds quite nice except for the price. Rough estimate for my place is $55k. But I just went on the website to see what it would take, not realistically considering it.
Problem is you really don't get that much power, turn the AC on and watch it drain

Generac has their own battery solution now too, which is apparently pretty good. Probably nowhere near as good as the chemistry in the Tesla

Reaction score
She was stating that even in the summer, they run off panels during the day, it charges the powerwall, and give a little back to the grid. At night they run off batteries. Their set up lasts about 2-3 days when the panels do not get enough sun. It will charge from the grid if needed. She said some months she gets a bill for $5-10.

Reaction score
Be warned that they are very swamped, I got in just before the rush. They are now requiring a $500 deposit just to have someone come and quote
I am not seriously considering this at this point in time. My wife and I have discussed this off and on and we really were not that put out. Yeah, 31 hours w/o power, but we did just fine. She gets more pissed off in the summer w/o A/C when the power goes out for a few hours. If we had another freeze like that, I have a better plan now having gone thought it. Like get my ass out of bed and drain the pool equipment. But so far I have not found any damage. Will be firing up the pump tomorrow to see.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
My pump and pipes were fine, I think that 2 inch PVC does better than the CPVC which is way more brittle, and thinner in general

For next time I'm going to make sure I seal up all the gaps in my house, really easy to find when its that cold out. Also insulate all my pipes, or get enough blown insulation that they are covered. I had a few pipes freeze, but they were fine since they are PEX

Next time I'm also going to cook 2 trays of bacon ahead of time too