nayr's home automation build out...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm approaching a million miles under my belt without any troubles..

Here's my aircooled bus engine I rebilt my self:
View attachment 16031

And here's a 450HP Turbo VR6 I built from the ground up as a high performance race engine:
View attachment 16032

I void warranties; and have a blast while doing it.. next up I'm converting that bus to diesel, got its engine sitting in the garage waiting for me to find the time to start on it.
Isn't diesel more expensive now? or do you have other reasons, bio diesel maybe?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its a 12v thats been bored out to 3L, its been ported/polished and had the whole 9 yards.. it put down 422hp @ 18lbs on the Dyno but Ive seen it reach as high as 28lbs when it started sheering bolts off my motor mounts ;) Need to find a R32 or audi to slap this thing into because its damn near suicidal in FWD Golf.

Here in Colorado only have emissions in metro area and they are just now checking for readyness, wont care if its tuned and I can fake readyness easy enough.. I also have remote property I can start registering vehicles out of that wont have any emissions because its only mandatory for the Metro.. Rural Colorado has no emissions.

Most hacks I do to these are minimal connivence features, mebe hack is too harsh of a word.. like disabling seat belt chimes, unlocking video in motion, unlocking ripping CD's to the HDD, disabling chirp when car is locked/armed, recoding to enable european features like flashing lights when emergency breaking, rear fog lights, etc.. I'll be able to set the ride height to whatever I desire with a lil tweaking.. Other than a Retune I wont be doing anything too dramatic to this one, might try to hack the rear-dashcam to display on the dash when driving so I can check on the trailer.

This is not my first high end vehicle.. last time I had a mid-mid life crisis I got me one of these beasts:
IMG_3838.JPG
Audi RS6 BiTurbo V8 450AWHP

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
COOL VR , Have you put that baby on a Dyno yet and dialed it in? Looks like the 12 valve head .. Any port and polishing or valve changes done to it ?

Not certain what your State Requires for smog testing or inspections but here in RI it is as strict and more so then California. By trade I am a Master Tech and Licensed State inspector. The States machines plug directly into the cars computers and read the factory programming, emission , etc. If the computer does not meet the requirements and emissions output your screwed. So if you mess with the fuel management system computer make a back up of the original just in case you need to re-flash it for inspection. You could always re-flash it to your performance settings after.

If you know how to read the programming which I am assuming you do from everything I have seen your posts just make certain the vehicle sends out the proper readings for emissions , engine coding , etc. so it will pass emissions testing if you have that in your state. Every state is a little different with requirements.

Would love to here about the onboard systems hacks.

The other thing you need to take into consideration is how the onboard computers are interlinked. SAFETY systems come to mind. What inputs/ sensors is the vehicle using to control, braking ABS, Suspension, Collision avoid, SRS, Speed Control, Seatbelt restraint system, Auto unlock in collision, auto window down in collision, Neutral safety interlock, Fuel System cutoff, etc. You mess with one thing and something else does not work.

Take into consideration (hopefully you never) have a serious accident and the Police and insurance companies hook up to the computer to read the accident recorded data. They will be looking at speed, braking, suspension, SRS , etc. to help determine what happened and who is at fault.

I know you are very skilled but if you never hacked on board systems of a high end vehicle they can get a little sticky. As long as you know how to read the programming data, a man with your talents should be able to see all the connections between different systems. The wiring schematics come in handy when you want to do a pin break out test to see if your reprogramming is triggering the proper wiring so things don't go puff and smoke. Nothing worse then smoking a 300 window control switch or something else that costs big bucks.

another reason not to own a fancy ass car, I won't drive anything with a godamn black box in it lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't diesel more expensive now? or do you have other reasons, bio diesel maybe?
not more expensive than Premium unleaded; the Q7 gets 28mpg on the highway and weighs 5500lbs.. the gasser variant gets like 18MPG in same conditions.. so that diesel has to be alot more expensive than premium unleaded (required w/Turbos) before it comes close..

Plus you just have so much torque its absurd ;)

Imna be putting a dashcam in it so I'm aware that it could be used as evidence against me, but I dont care.. My days of driving like an asshat are well behind me, if something happens it'll be an accident and thats why I have insurance.. these German cars will keep me and my family safe, now whoever hits me in there old pice of shit might be dead, but thats not my fault.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
not more expensive than Premium unleaded; the Q7 gets 28mpg on the highway and weighs 5500lbs.. the gasser variant gets like 18MPG in same conditions.. so that diesel has to be alot more expensive than premium unleaded (required w/Turbos) before it comes close..

Plus you just have so much torque its absurd ;)
ahh yeah I guess if you gotta have premium.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
even without premium, diesel is stable and predictable.. here is a gfx someone else made, its often way less than normal unleaded.

@mmdb, because I need to drive it to Alaska and back towing a trailer without looking for an electrical outlet every few hours..

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh ok.. i thought its just for driving locally ..;)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
even locally we go where there are no outlets, and the stock air cooled flat 4 outputs a mere 90HP when it rolled off the factory floor 40 years ago.. Ive rebuilt it several times and driving it at this altitude it just takes a slight incline to drop me down to 45mph @ WOT..

To get a nice fresh built up air cooled motor for this will cost me $10k and I'll still be needing to rebuild it every 40k miles or so, and wont give me much more power.. so I said fuckit, I'll convert it to water cooling and throw a 4cyl diesel out of a 2002 beetle into it.. I'll build it up and tune it so it outputs about 140hp/220ft tq and will drive for a quater million miles before needing a rebuild.. oh and it wont cost me near $10k to complete the swap, I could pay someone to do all the work for that kinda money.

Paid $1k for it, towed it out of someones yard where it sat for 20 years.. took an afternoon of adjusting the valves/timing/fueling and she was back alive and suddenly worth $8k.. Were gonna slowly restore it and modernize it, and enjoy the fuck out of it.. already given us alot of great memories and even won an award

DSC02511.JPG DSC02440.JPG

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
10 or so years ago ive done 1 trike it was same engine and i found old Porsche air cooled engine original i think 120hp i tweek it to 140 ,it have same mounts if you want to stay with petrol and if you can find old porche engine ..but diesel is much better for you like you said !
yes this old vw vans worth a lot now

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its a 12v thats been bored out to 3L, its been ported/polished and had the whole 9 yards.. it put down 422hp @ 18lbs on the Dyno but Ive seen it reach as high as 28lbs when it started sheering bolts off my motor mounts ;) Need to find a R32 or audi to slap this thing into because its damn near suicidal in FWD Golf.

Here in Colorado only have emissions in metro area and they are just now checking for readyness, wont care if its tuned and I can fake readyness easy enough.. I also have remote property I can start registering vehicles out of that wont have any emissions because its only mandatory for the Metro.. Rural Colorado has no emissions.

Most hacks I do to these are minimal connivence features, mebe hack is too harsh of a word.. like disabling seat belt chimes, unlocking video in motion, unlocking ripping CD's to the HDD, disabling chirp when car is locked/armed, recoding to enable european features like flashing lights when emergency breaking, rear fog lights, etc.. I'll be able to set the ride height to whatever I desire with a lil tweaking.. Other than a Retune I wont be doing anything too dramatic to this one, might try to hack the rear-dashcam to display on the dash when driving so I can check on the trailer.

This is not my first high end vehicle.. last time I had a mid-mid life crisis I got me one of these beasts:
View attachment 16034
Audi RS6 BiTurbo V8 450AWHP
NICE! Use the GOLF !!! Suspension mods , tub it out , drop it lower and the bitch will hug the road!!!

Sounds like you have it under control.
Check the wiring schm on the rear cam. Most of the time they tie in a hard switch, ground or shifter position sensor so it will only activate in reverse. I have not seen many that go off computer signal alone to turn it on. If it does have a hard wire it can be rewired easily. Add a switch to turn it on when not in reverse or tie it into something already installed on the vehicle like a extra dome lamp upfront you don't need. Activate that and it turns the cam on instead of the passenger dome / spot. All kinds of fun ways of doing this when you need to rewire.

HAVE fun and post some hacks when you make them. Always love mods to vehicles.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the bueses got the big 2l porsche engine (Type4 found in 411/412) in it from the factory.. even has electronic fuel injection.. but was outputting a mere 70BHP from the factory.. getting 120-140HP out of the motors is a very huge expense and they'll still burn them selves up insanely fast.. As much as I love working on air cooled engines, they are too damn expensive to keep alive while performing like crap compared to modern water cooled engines.

At a mile high and up, forced induction is pretty much mandatory on a 4cyl engine or else ur just beating on it like a gimp mule.. I drove it up Pikes Peak once for the Hill Climb, you shoulda seen the 10k cars I had stuck behind me while the road infront was nice and clear for some reason ;)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found out today that EPA/CARB did not approve the proposed fix for my 2.0L Golf TDI; when I give it back its fate is to have a hole drilled in its engine and the chassis cut in half.. fuck I'm sad about that.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bummer epa/carb
this engine i pull from porche from scrapyard it was 120hp originally. you have a good point ..you would have a lot of problem in high altitude... i want to marinize small diesel engine from smart car for 1 of my boat but aftermarket ecu is4k+:eek:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they made marine variants of the ALH I'm putting in the bus, I'm using the stock ECU, having the Immo and other options disabled in software and then gona minify the harness.. then just getting a custom tune tha'll limit the torque to within what my transmission can cope with.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx i know of this engine but its big bucks to marinize it from car engine and i don't like variable geometry turbos on boats ,its no no... for now big old perkins 4236 are doing their job hehehe

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Phone Tablet with HDMI Out Adapter, HDMI to RCA adapter into Audi MFI Plug and I can display anything I want on the screen ;)