Need 8 camera NVR to record 45+ days constant

lscheres

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Im trying to set up a good NVR system that will handle 8 cameras using blue iris. IP cameras would be nice for some(i am going to mount 2 outside, those would be nice to not have to wire up) but POE cameras would be just fine(for the inside 6), not really to picky on price would love 1080p but if i cant record in that then 720p would be fine. Whats REALLY important is that i have 45+ days of video stored for EACH camera. What size hard drives and how powerful of a system do i need to do this? What would be the best resolution i could record at, and not have to have 32TB of storage lol. Id like to stick to 16TB or less. I would like to also have the ability to live stream atleast one camera at a time. I stared looking at prebuilt NVR's but the prices made me rather build my own if im gonna speed that much. At least then it will be good quality and ill learn some stuff.

ALSO, am looking at moving from my two amcrest 1080p IP cameras recording to the cloud to a 5 camera system with all IP cameras(all 1080p would be awesome). Right now im using amcrests cloud service and recording ANY motion on the camera lol, I get any movement recorded in full 1080p for 14 bucks a month. trying to get the most out of that by setting the motion detection for the whole screen lol. I'd like to have 720p motion detection recording available for a few days for day time, and store a few days of 1080p constant recording from 9pm to 6am.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure of some of the more knowledgeable folks here will chime in. I have an 8 cam setup, all running on BlueIris, all running mostly HikVision 2132's.

They are not on the highest settings, but certainly good quality if reviewing, which is really the whole purpose.

I have it writing to a NAS (iscsi lun) which is a 14TB volume (running Western Digital Reds). With 14.07tb I will just get around 25 days of 24/7 recording.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why is it really important to have 8 cameras @ 45 days? and if it is really important, 36TB should be pretty reasonable.. its only 6x6TB disks, not like you have to build a giant 20 disk array anymore.

many times you can record substream 24/7 and set the main HD stream to record on motion to give you detail without risking missing anything... that can dramatically cut back storage requirements.. but it can make it really hard to calculate needed space though, its going to depend on activity.. if you need 45 days because you are away, then activity should be low and you can do it.. but when your staying at the location activity could be high and you only get 30 days

lscheres

n3wb
Reaction score
There is quite a useful disc space calculator in amongst the Hikvision tools here: http://overseas.hikvision.com/europe/Tools_82.html
It can be quite useful to play with the various combinations.
Awesome, that tool helped out a ton!

Why is it really important to have 8 cameras @ 45 days? and if it is really important, 36TB should be pretty reasonable.. its only 6x6TB disks, not like you have to build a giant 20 disk array anymore.

many times you can record substream 24/7 and set the main HD stream to record on motion to give you detail without risking missing anything... that can dramatically cut back storage requirements.. but it can make it really hard to calculate needed space though, its going to depend on activity.. if you need 45 days because you are away, then activity should be low and you can do it.. but when your staying at the location activity could be high and you only get 30 days
Its a Washington recreational marijuana facility, we are required to keep 45 days of constant video on file. There's no specification on quality, id like to it so we can still look at stuff in case something happens. 480p or somewhere around there would be fine, playing with the quality tool, i think ill be fine with 2-6tb drives.

I need to familiarize my self more with the blue iris software but it does let you record 2 separate streams right? So I could record my 45 days in shitty quality and then have just a couple days, or a week, of motion detection recording at least at 720p or higher? That would be ideal.